Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY - add Auxiliary switches to a 2016 RAM 2500 Tradesman

Discussion in '4th Gen DIY' started by abbttb, Jan 9, 2017.

1. ISKRA

ISKRA Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    It took a lot of research, but I finally figured it out! If you do not have an upfitter harness or wiring, you can make your own as described in this thread. I was stuck with the OEM connector and how to wire my switches. If you want to save yourself a lot of time to avoid drilling, soldering and keep a nice clean look, here are the part numbers:

Manufacturer: TE Connectivity
    Connector part #: 1456989-3
    Terminal (pins, female) 18 AWG: 1393366-1

We all have the connector already so you just need the terminals. Hope this helped, took me close to 6 months of research to find that.

2. Power247

Power247 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 HEMI
    Thanks to all that contributed to the info in the thread.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

3. monteholic

monteholic Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
  4. Crazydrummer74

Crazydrummer74 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

5. Gene Carey Sr

Gene Carey Sr Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    im wanting to do this diy and was very disappointed i couldnt until i read you post what im confused at is where does the harness come into play from switches to fuse panel? do you have a pic of the back of the switches i wan to run my fire dept lightbar from these

6. Mega Man

Mega Man Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L
    Huge thumbs up for this, I may try to find the other connector and removable for this, so we can make our own truly plug and play system

7. Mega Man

Mega Man Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L
    I got info back from te, thanks to you

"
    The mating connector for TE Part # 1456989-3 is TE Part # 1438170-1. The terminal Part # will depend on your Wire Size. Attached is a catalog for this connector series. You can find the Receptacle Terminals/Contacts on page 22 and the Pin Terminals/Contacts on page 23. These pages will also show the tooling that is suggested for the connectors as well as additional technical information/features.

Hope this helps, now you can make a harness so the aux buttons address all plug and play , so no permanent mods during install

Screenshot_20190605-232618_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20190605-232658_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  8. bigred74

bigred74 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1999 and 2017
    Engine:
    5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
    So the pics on that website arent loading for me. You saying if I get both of those I can just make a harness that will plug right into where those switches go? I've been meaning to find out the connectors but if these are forsure them I will get them ordered. You order directly from them or find a vendor?

9. Mega Man

Mega Man Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L
    Mods , if this is against tos, I am sorry. I am part of several forums and I don't remember all the rules to each,

I purchased mine from mouser, they were the only ones I could just buy 1 from. I got a quote for another site for 10.

I don't have 100% verification, as i am still waiting for mine. But yes should be. The Male seems to work. Although it may not have the right key. But idc as long as it fits. I can update when the female arrives.

The female pins are accurate however

bigred74 likes this.
  10. abbttb

abbttb Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Update: When I installed my Aux switches orginally, switch 1 and 2 would function with the ignition off and 3-5 required the key to be in the on position. I recently picked up an OBDLink MX 426101 bluetooth scantool on Amazon and then purchase the AlphaOBD app through the Google play store for Android. Using the Alphaobd app with the OBDLink MX, I was able to access the body computer and enable the Aux switch features. Now I have control to designate the switch as momentary or latching and choose if it is battery or switched powered through my EVIC.

As a side note I was also able to enable my DRLs using the Alphaobd app with the OBDLink MX and choose which lamp I wanted designated as the DRL. I'm still exploring other enablement options.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    tnctx02 likes this.