DIY: Removing Bed and QuadCab to replace Exhaust Manifold Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
AlohaRam

AlohaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Is the blaster rated for heat? The paint IMO would be a waste... It needs clean metal to stick to, and that's ANYTHING but clean IMO.

How about that stuff that turns rust into a black hard coat? You can get it at local auto parts stores usually. I wonder if it'd work with heat.

Thanks for all your inputs...

I'm going with the "grill" paint. I've used that paint on nasty old headers and it bit quite well. The headers get much hotter than this block ever will.

OP
OP
AlohaRam

AlohaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Dodging rain drops for 4 days has delayed progress ...

Frame painted...
Intake back on...
Exhaust back on...

15638md.jpg

2e3wmbs.jpg

OP
OP
AlohaRam

AlohaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
:mfr_omg: Was that thing PARKED in salt water?

Dunno the history of the truck... but my guess would be- it was driven thru salt water and the radiator fan slung it all over.

I don't think it was a flood-victim, because the floor pan and rear frame don't have rust.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Is that pitting on the leading edge of the header, or has someone been using a ball peen hammer?

OP
OP
AlohaRam

AlohaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Finally had a break from rain today...

Instead of lowering the cab onto the frame, I decided to raise the frame to the cab...

klpo0.jpg

210xdzt.jpg

ReUnited and it feels so gooooood,,,

... me and my trusty FloorJack are gonna have a beer :happy160:

dvk7s1.jpg

OP
OP
AlohaRam

AlohaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Throughout the process of removing the cab, I was quite pleased with the way Dodge builds these Rams.

But now that it is time to replace the rusted brake lines, I've gotten to a "WTH were they thinking?" moment.

3/16" SAE Lines, with 2 sizes of METRIC fittings and 2 different flares. :Insane:

2na65ip.jpg

OP
OP
AlohaRam

AlohaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
What did you do about the dip stick issue?

I stuck 1" length of 5/16" steel-fuel-line into the the block end. The 5/16" line had a flare which the dipstick tube sits in. Fortunately, Dodge bolts the dipstick tube to the engine in 2 places, which keeps it lined-up, solidly.

All good.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I see you found the missing body parts... ;)

Looks great! Looks like the headlights could use some polishing though!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Congratulations! Hope your able to get years of trouble free operations out of it. :dancingpoop:

OP
OP
AlohaRam

AlohaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I see you found the missing body parts... ;)

Looks great! Looks like the headlights could use some polishing though!

Haha... my #1 YouTube fan...

Yes, headlights, bumper trim, etc... needs a good buff & detail.

Now I need to make it look as great as it runs! :D

OP
OP
AlohaRam

AlohaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Congratulations! Hope your able to get years of trouble free operations out of it. :dancingpoop:

Thanks... but I flip 'em for a living,,, so I hope this one finds a nice salt-free home :)

spankis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Very good work sir!

I had a 1997 Dakota with the 5.2 V8 that spent all it's life in Ohio, where it was never garaged and saw all the road salt it could handle during winters. My dad drove the truck before me, and I drove it until 277,000 miles when I sold it. The motor was never opened up any further than valve cover gasket deep, used only a tiny bit of oil, and the transmission was perfect until 254,000 miles, when it lost 1st gear and I had it rebuilt. At around 265,000 miles the timing chain got noisy due to stretch, so I replaced it as well.

It was an amazing truck honestly, but I sold it to a co-worker when I'd had enough with the rust. I had the downpipe flange/bolts on the manifold rust away, though the head mounting surface held up okay. Soon after that I noticed some play in the steering wheel, and found one of the bolts holding the steering shaft u-joint together had rusted COMPLETELY away, with the remaning one struggling to hold on! The rear bumper was bad enough that I replaced it, and the front bumper was well on its way. The bottom of the doors had just began to rot, and the rear bed corners behind the wheelwells had rusted through on the driver's side. The headlight buckets were mostly gone in the front, and the bottom of the core supports were beginning to look suspect - I used to joke that the truck was actually built using parts recovered from the Titanic. It was a good running truck, but I decided to sell it to a gearhead co-worker (with full disclosure) while it was still worth something, since the rust didn't show that badly on a black truck.

Here are a few pics from when I sold it:

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

The guy I sold it to recently informed me of a "rear main seal leak" it developed after driving it for a year or so...... turns out the oil pan had actually rusted through completely just like yours :)!!

Needless to say I feel your pain, but great effort!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlohaRam

AlohaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Thanks spankis...

Fortunately, the body on my Ram has no rust ( at least not yet ).

I painted the inside of this front bumper, and the brackets... It looked like hell, but still solid.

I saved this truck from the "cancer", just in time. The guy I got this truck from had it sitting for over a year. I'd bet if it sat for another year, there'd have been a lot of un-salvageable parts on it.