do both batteries charge with 1 trickle charger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walesmarine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I am leaving my truck parked for 6 months and want to install a charger so batteries don't fail do I need a charger for each battery

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The batteries in the Cummins trucks are wired in parallel to each other, only one trickle charger needed for both batteries.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If it's gonna sit that long,disconnect both batteries,and put a trickle charger on each battery.
Why need to disconnect them. The trickle charger should maintain both even when still connected. Besides, I think he may have some initial problems if he disconnected them for that long and then hooked it back up again. I'm envisioning all sorts of bells and whistles and codes popping up after sitting so long without power to the ECM and everything else. But I could be wrong. :cool:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If it's gonna sit that long,disconnect both batteries,and put a trickle charger on each battery.
I'm not sure I'd separate the batteries, it's best to keep the charge level identical as much as possible. If one battery goes bad on a Cummins truck, both batteries should be replaced at the same time.
Something like the NOCO Genius 5 (or 10) model will have no problems maintaining both batteries. It can be "hardwired" with just having to unplug the charger cable.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Why need to disconnect them. The trickle charger should maintain both even when still connected. Besides, I think he may have some initial problems if he disconnected them for that long and then hooked it back up again. I'm envisioning all sorts of bells and whistles and codes popping up after sitting so long without power to the ECM and everything else. But I could be wrong. :cool:
I disconnect the battery on both the truck and 2019 Challenger every time they're gonna sit for more then week,and every winter both are disconnected for upwards of 6 months.I've never had any issues,the Challenger has to sit for an hour or 2 after a battery disconnect to regain it's Drag mode with it's factory line lock and transmission brake,but that's the only issue. Most he'd encounter is having to let it sit for a few hours after hooking them back up. Why keep all the modules engerized for 6 months if the trucks gonna sit,if anything that's gonna hurt them more then anything.
I'm no fan of keeping the batteries hooked up,if you're not using the vehicle,as i don't think it helps prolong any of the electrical system.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Plus the added level of anti-theft when they're disconnected.
Now thats a good point,lol. When i'm staying at a hotel with the truck,i always turn both disconnect switches off on it,with the idea they'll move onto something else that's easier to steal. The one in the back bumper is to make the truck NHRA legal,as it shuts the truck down,but doesn't kill the whole electrical system,the other one on the battery box kills everything on the truck .

Attachments

• IMG_2923 (2).JPG
    IMG_2923 (2).JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN4090.JPG
    DSCN4090.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 2