DO I need new shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bout a month ago started getting some vibration from what feels like the right rear, had the tires balanced no change, had the factory good years put on, had the same shop that did my alignment and tierod shortening, they adjusted the alignmentsome, not much difference on the road. Today I put my hellwig rear bar on the firmest setting, helped, but it's still there. I've done all the steps, to make a belltech 2/4 right, and it was damn near perfect. Shocks are the only thing I can think of, they have been doing road work and I live in the country, so maybe that killed em quicker. Running kyb monomax

LuisJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe control arm relocation brackets are the next step. I'm going to do mine possibly tonight after work. The control arm angles look super terrible lol

I'll report back when I get it done.

Luis

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Already got illicit no cuts, had them since December, made it damm near factory like. This something new, also have the spohn adjustable panhard and airlift airbags

LuisJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hows the adjustment on the Spohn, any cracking at the welds. Other two things that come to mind is wheel bearing or dragging caliper.

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Adjustment is good in spohn, hadnt noticed any cracks, will check tomorrow. How do I check for wheel bearing or caliper.

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't thick it's either if those, no dragging or pulling, just some shaking above 55mos that feels Like its coming from the right rear

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When both my rear QA1’s lost all their fluid, wheels bounced very erratically and the truck was absolutely scary to drive at highway speeds
New shocks were night and day difference

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bout a month ago started getting some vibration from what feels like the right rear, had the tires balanced no change, had the factory good years put on, had the same shop that did my alignment and tierod shortening, they adjusted the alignmentsome, not much difference on the road. Today I put my hellwig rear bar on the firmest setting, helped, but it's still there. I've done all the steps, to make a belltech 2/4 right, and it was damn near perfect. Shocks are the only thing I can think of, they have been doing road work and I live in the country, so maybe that killed em quicker. Running kyb monomax

Did you overload your truck with weight That will kill your shocks for sure or maybe weaken your springs

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, I never carry anything in the ed aside from a small toolbox to keep stuff in and out of the cab. Only real change I can think of is the road to my house they tore up to repave and they havent finished so it's a rutted out wash board. I'm gonna deflate my airlift bags and bounce on the rear, see if anything seems funky

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No, I never carry anything in the ed aside from a small toolbox to keep stuff in and out of the cab. Only real change I can think of is the road to my house they tore up to repave and they havent finished so it's a rutted out wash board. I'm gonna deflate my airlift bags and bounce on the rear, see if anything seems funky

By your profile it looks like you still have the stock locating arms,they've been known to hammer the bushings a bit,another thing to check would be jack the rear up and grab the rear tires and try to wiggle them ,if they move around a bit,then check your wheel bearings,this is if new shocks don't fix the problem.

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took the rear bags down to 8 psi, hit bumps on the road to my house, definitely a lot tougher when only the passenger rear hits vs when driver side does. Looks like I'll try some new rear shocks, thought about just going with the belltech nitro 2s front and rear. Any recommendations. Could just go back with kyb monomax, but the other side of me says try something different

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
remove bottom shock bolt and push shock up and see if it rebounds ok ..and listen for air locks ...i had one go that didnt rebound before

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got new shocks installed, belltech nitro drop 2. Seems to have helped the vibration, not as bad. These definitely aren't as stiff as the monomax, seems to do better at speeds and worse around town. I did Jack the truck up and check all 4 corners for play, wasnt any.
One of my rear shocks was leaking, looks like it was making contact with the shock mount. The belltech are shorter than the ones kyb recommended.