Do our trucks have "smart" ABS or "dumb/simple" ABS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Early ABS systems (what I call "dumb ABS") simply "pumped the brakes" when a skidding condition was detected. It pulsed the brake pressure to all four wheels if any wheel locked up. It could actually take longer to stop but it allowed the driver to maintain steering control.

The newest "smart ABS" systems modulate the brake pressure to all four wheels INDEPENDENTLY. If one wheel locks up the brake pressure is pulsed to ONLY THAT WHEEL while keeping more pressure to the non-sliding wheels. This system provides the greatest amount of braking and control possible.

Now, which of these two types of ABS is in our trucks - the cheaper "dumb/simple" ABS or the "smart" ABS? Some of the driving reports and my own experiences lead me to believe it's the "dumb" system. Can someone advise who knows?

(BTW - my 2004 Hemi QC had an even simpler ABS system called "RWAL" - rear wheel anti-lock. This system replaced the mechanical load proportioning valve typically used on pickup trucks prior to ABS. It modulated the brake pressure only the rear wheels as a pair (not independently). There were no sensors or brake modulation at all, AFAIK, to the front wheels.)