Do you drive in 4WD in winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
4WD doesn’t help with stopping at all and only very minimally for turning, it just helps you get going from a stop.

If you need 4WD on the highway then you are driving way too fast for the conditions.

Of course it helps you stop. It helps keep the front wheels from locking up. It's a huge help.
At least that's been my experience the last 40 odd years.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Of course it helps you stop. It helps keep the front wheels from locking up. It's a huge help.

Only if you're driving a 40 odd year-old vehicle. Doesn't help a bit with today's 4 wheel disc brake/ABS systems.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi

How does it help you stop? It is not possible to increase the avaable traction from the tires to the road. Y being in 4WD. ABS will give the same amount of breaking force in rear wheel drive or 4WD.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you downshift to slow down on a hill instead of just the rear trying to slow you down the front does a bit as well.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Average winter day, just snowed, driving to work.. slightly slippery out... plows came but the road isn't cleared.

.. do you typically drive in 2WD or one of the 4WD options?

..Have you found that the truck slips LESS when in 4WD?

..When do you use 4WD auto vs 4WD.

If this is the case I will use 4wd, I bought a 4wd so I can use it :)
I dont have 4wd auto luckily so just 4wd.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I almost always use 4X4 when there's snow on the ground.
If it's just a coating of snow or an inch or so, I sometimes leave it in 2WD or until I feel uneasy.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Average winter day, just snowed, driving to work.. slightly slippery out... plows came but the road isn't cleared.

This is my first truck with the 4 auto and 4 lock options. Last Truck I had was an express so it was just 2/4H/4L. I was always under the impression 4wd burns fuel quicker, so I was always trying to run 2wd until my ass puckers a little. When I had a company truck, I ran that ***** in 4WD as soon as the snow started flying cause it was a company gas card too haha

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How does it help you stop? It is not possible to increase the avaable traction from the tires to the road. Y being in 4WD. ABS will give the same amount of breaking force in rear wheel drive or 4WD.

Sorry. I forgot we count on computers to stop our vehicles now. I have disconnected wonky ABS systems though. My last truck actually. Then you have to do your own thinking just like the old days.
Frankly I prefer non abs in the snow and ice. I know how to use a brake pedal. But I suppose that's another discussion.
Also most of my trucks have been standard shift.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I almost always use 4X4 when there's snow on the ground.
If it's just a coating of snow or an inch or so, I sometimes leave it in 2WD or until I feel uneasy.

^ This ^

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
i used 4x4 Auto after a snowfall on the way to work in the morning, i leave at 4am so most of the roads haven't been plowed, the ride home is usually back on 2WD because roads are cleaned up. I do have BFG tires on so it does help with traction.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry. I forgot we count on computers to stop our vehicles now. I have disconnected wonky ABS systems though. My last truck actually. Then you have to do your own thinking just like the old days.
Frankly I prefer non abs in the snow and ice. I know how to use a brake pedal. But I suppose that's another discussion.
Also most of my trucks have been standard shift.

Even without ABS, using the brakes To slow or stop doesn’t get better or worse being in 4WD, it is the same. The only situation where being in 4WD helps slowing down is with engine braking potentially.

Since we are talking about over driving the conditions I would almost guarantee that pretty much everyone is not going to downshift and try engine braking when they are either sliding off the road because they couldn’t make a turn or about to hit the car in front of them. They will use the brakes, which will be the same in 2wd or 4WD.

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The first order of business should be: Get rid of those OEM Street slicks, and get some real truck tires. If your truck didn't come with a LSD, add it if you can afford to. I never understood how applying brake was the best solution to obtaining forward motion.

4 Auto for the Street
4 Lock off road

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2wd 24/7. Winter tires. Lsd. Don’t point truck where you don’t want to go.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After driving a "matchbox" truck (2001 Nissan Frontier) for so long, my first winter with the RAM was a cakewalk in comparison. the RAM, presumably because its much bigger, felt a lot more planted and less need for 4WD. I did use 4 Auto a few times, mostly to make sure its actually working, but the bulk of my commutes last year were in 2WD.

I live on a dead end so my street is rarely plowed early, and even when it is its not plowed the best (no one likes to take the time). It makes for a fun couple spins around the cul de sac in 2WD :)

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yes We do if needed! ——>with the ESC in the off position.
(Reason being: I as well as others have found the ESC system [when left on] drastically effects the operation of the anti-slip & 4WD with our HD2500).
In deep snow or pure ice in town - I turn the ESC system off (40mph or slower)
Interstate/highway: Snow-Ice - I leave the ESC system on.

Having extra weight in the bed along with the Anti-Slip rearend & New AT tires - I find we don’t need 4WD as often.
Edit: I also lower tire psi - before the storm arrives: Front- 60 Rear- 50.

Apologize ahead of time for the brief bit a foul language.

This method does work on my HD2500 while in 4 Hi - Up to 40mph (So deep snow & extremely icy conditions my ESC will be shut off).
I don’t know if this actually works for all levels of Rams.

I am so thankful I now have a HD2500 with the BW44-46 & not the BW44-44!

This is what we have to deal with just about every winter.
Most roads at some point was covered in 1/4 - 1/2 of ice.

Last edited:

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Even without ABS, using the brakes To slow or stop doesn’t get better or worse being in 4WD, it is the same. The only situation where being in 4WD helps slowing down is with engine braking potentially.

Since we are talking about over driving the conditions I would almost guarantee that pretty much everyone is not going to downshift and try engine braking when they are either sliding off the road because they couldn’t make a turn or about to hit the car in front of them. They will use the brakes, which will be the same in 2wd or 4WD.

CB let me say that I don't wish to be disrespectful to anyone any time, including you. However.
Without ABS, 4 wheel drive helps keep the front wheels from locking up. It just does. You don't have to believe it.
Once the tires lock up all bets are off. You have no control. Locked up tires are the same no matter 4WD or 2.
I have been driving 4WD trucks through Adirondack winters for many years.
Maybe only old guys know this?
This guy in the video tries it all different ways. And if I am not mistaken (I may be), the best braking was achieved in 4WD with ABS off. Which I would have predicted.
https://carbuzz.com/news/did-you-know-4wd-can-also-help-you-stop-better-in-the-snow
Probably there are video's showing just the opposite, but I'm trying to work here, and I will stop searching with the one that agrees with me! Naturally...
In the video he does lock up the brakes often. I can only think that he just doesn't know any better because that is NOT the way to stop. I leave clutch out and easy on the brakes.
FYI this will be my first winter with an automatic.

Last edited:

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
CB let me say that I don't wish to be disrespectful to anyone any time, including you. However.
Without ABS, 4 wheel drive helps keep the front wheels from locking up. It just does. You don't have to believe it.
Once the tires lock up all bets are off. You have no control. Locked up tires are the same no matter 4WD or 2.
I have been driving 4WD trucks through Adirondack winters for many years.
Maybe only old guys know this?
This guy in the video tries it all different ways. And if I am not mistaken (I may be), the best braking was achieved in 4WD with ABS off. Which I would have predicted.
https://carbuzz.com/news/did-you-know-4wd-can-also-help-you-stop-better-in-the-snow
Probably there are video's showing just the opposite, but I'm trying to work here, and I will stop searching with the one that agrees with me! Naturally...
In the video he does lock up the brakes often. I can only think that he just doesn't know any better because that is NOT the way to stop. I leave clutch out and easy on the brakes.
FYI this will be my first winter with an automatic.

I don't know what model your truck is but, my 1500 Big Horn with the auto mode avilible in the transfer case selection does NOT give me any engine braking on slick packed snow, even in low loc and toggled down into first gear the rear tires will slip and slide and the front has almost no hold back. That is one of many why I don't like my transfer case, I like the truck, really like the little engine, and the transfer case is good for most uses in the summer,
but tome it is terrible in the winter.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Jim, I am going to disagree that 4wd helps you stop on snow and ice. 40 years ago we driving on different tires, usually studded snows in the rear as well as drum brakes. If I recall correctly, my fathers truck didn't have power brakes. Imho, you are over estimating 4wd and under estimating the skills we aquired in our younger days.

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I personally would keep it in 2WD (I like doing drifts around corners when safe!!!). If I were at a stop light at an intersection with 2 or more lanes each way, then I would put it in 4WD just get ahead of people, then put it back in 2WD. But the 4WD auto is a good option to use. Since it sends power to the tires that are slipping. Good luck!!