Do you -need- your heavy duty or did you just -want- it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noved

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I probably should have gotten a 2500 since lately I have been towing around 8000 pounds the last 3 times I have towed. My 1500 handles it very well though so I am not worried about it. My next truck purchase though might be a HD 2500.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I never wanted one until I needed to rent a machine for a home improvement project and I needed a digger that my truck can't haul...first time I even thought about getting a diesel...first time I didn't have enough truck for the job...didn't like it

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a 1500 now... do I need it nope. When the 6.4 comes out, I'll be getting one of those.

HDHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a '09 1500 but could not handle my trailer towing chores safely; so I bought the 2013 Ram HD 2500 Hemi CC 4x4 and believe me it's worth every penny. Yes this is my daily driver. I only wish the 2 only settings for TPMS Light or Heavy had more options for my needs.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I only wish the 2 only settings for TPMS Light or Heavy had more options for my needs.

Isn't that ever so annoying?!
65/45 is too damned low, and 80 is just dangerous without a load. UGH!

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I literally have no need for my truck what so ever. I simply drive back and forth to work everyday. I dont tow, or haul anything except for tailgating in the summer. 2-3 times a year. I simply like having a truck for the utility aspect. just knowing i can do just about whatever i would need done at any time is good enough for me. I would by a 2500 with a 6.4L and 4.10 gears if i could afford it !!!!!!! diesels are sick but the maintainence costs arent worth it for what i do on a daily basis.

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Seen it, Wanted it, Bought it....... Absolutely no need for it. Just liked the way the 2500's looked :D

I have only towed 1 time with it.... Pulled my sisters PT cruiser from Oklahoma to NY. Which was like pulling nothing lol. Half the time I didn't even know I was towing.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Depending on the market, and tuning options available in about 2-3 years i will strongly consider buying one lol.

I love the style of the 2500, plus in my mind they dont need to be lifted lol. Just needs the basic Bolt Ons and HemiFever tune to crank out another 30-40 horses out of it, and some 285/70/17 A/T's lol !

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a 1500 now... do I need it nope. When the 6.4 comes out, I'll be getting one of those.

Have you spoken to any stealerships about timeframe?? Airdrie told me they don't even have order codes for them yet. Looking forward to a test drive.

Nubster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd love one but can't afford it. Now if I could find an outlet to sell a kidney, maybe a lung, and my left....well....maybe someday I'll be in a position to get one but it's 100% desire and 0% need. My 1500 will do everything I need out of a truck.

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
The funny thing for me is that I probably would be able to put one to good use because I do tow a lot, just not enough to justify dealing with the maintenance/fuel cost for the days I am not towing. I still love driving by the gas station and looking at the 3.75/gallon for diesel and 3.15/gallon for 89.

chris15005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stop the madness

:mfr_omg: :angry94:
Wow this thread makes me mad.

I might be in the minority here but it's people like these that buy a HD diesel truck and have no need for it is why the MFG's get away with charging the amount of money they do for them. If your not hauling or towing every day and carrying 4-5 people WHY DO YOU NEED A 2500 CREW CAB DIESEL ?!?!?!?!

The only people who can justify this is people with large travel trailers, 5th wheels, or goose neck trailers Etc. I actually seen a photo of a 2500 crew cab pulling a dual axle trailer hauling a RIDING MOWER !!!! you might as well toss a bicycle in there as well is this what it has come to?

I don't care if the mods ban me for this post or how many negative replies i get but this kind of stuff just irritates the hell out of me.

Before anyone says oh your mad cause you can't afford a 2500 i can and would have one IF I NEEDED ONE.

kcbigbadram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI

I might be in the minority here but it's people like these that buy a HD diesel truck and have no need for it is why the MFG's get away with charging the amount of money they do for them. If your not hauling or towing every day and carrying 4-5 people WHY DO YOU NEED A 2500 CREW CAB DIESEL ?!?!?!?!

The only people who can justify this is people with large travel trailers, 5th wheels, or goose neck trailers Etc. I actually seen a photo of a 2500 crew cab pulling a dual axle trailer hauling a RIDING MOWER !!!! you might as well toss a bicycle in there as well is this what it has come to?

I don't care if the mods ban me for this post or how many negative replies i get but this kind of stuff just irritates the hell out of me.

Before anyone says oh your mad cause you can't afford a 2500 i can and would have one IF I NEEDED ONE.
lol it's a MEGA CAB pulling a riding mower! At least get the truck right if you wanna make fun of it. :emotions122:
If we wanna spend our money on trucks we don't need it's really none of your concern.
Sorry I gotta go drive my truck to the grocery store, you know really put it to work. :upyours:

Mr.RonGilbert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just "down graded" from an 2011 F350 to the 1500 and am very happy so far. I have had diesels for almost 20 years and just don't tow enough any more to justify it. I remember the days that we laughed at the gassers because diesel fuel was cheaper.... Then the price went up... 15 gallons of oil.... The the dam pee water additive... Mine was a DRW 4x4 and got 11mpg and I am far from heavy on the pedal. Parking that beast wasn't a big deal unless I traveled downtown (Houston) then it was a ***** and a half.

I used to tow quite a bit and loved the power. Nowadays I spend 90% of the time driving back and fourth from work, I may tow three or four times a year. The price of fuel and payments on a camper are more than a hotel... And someone else cleans up your mess lol... I still have the camper because it's paid for and I like to have it when hurricanes head my way. I can live in it while they work on getting power restored etc...

I have a built Jeep to beat on.... I plan on building the truck for comfort, and perhaps a little "go fast" flavor to go with it.

My decision was the result of about 6 months of hard thinking..... Then I stopped by the stealership and they told me that they would put me in a 2014 1500 and write me a check for 7k.... I jumped on it.

When I first bought one it was out of want... Then turned into necessity... Then I moved away from it...

I may regret later it as I am only a week into it, right now my 1500 is perfect.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The Truck: 2006 Ram 3500 MC w/ 5.9 CTD...
The Reason: Totally personal.. Our travel trailer is 4200lb, and I didn't like how the 1500 Hemi handled it. Plus it drank me out of house and home. I've towed heavy IIRC 1x in the 3.5 yrs I've owned it. The truck is our only house hold vehicle, it works great to haul the family, and the quad cab was too short to allow a rear facing car seat.

So.. Those of you getting up tight about buying a truck we don't 'need' in your books, thats too bad butter cup. Its my $$, and only I make the call as to how it gets spent.

We've been looking at getting a bigger trailer for the last 3 years but our 19' still works and we haven't taken the plunge yet. Our truck will outlast the payments, and more than covers our needs present and future for trailers. Hoping the next one will be a 5th wheel + a boat behind it eventually.

So... :upyours: to you judgers....

Last edited:

workingman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I bought the 3500 purely for need. I work it, wouldn't have any other make. DODGE Trucks are all i've ever owned. love my cummins, it is built to be a workhorse.

Attachments

• IMG_20131007_184628_166.jpg
    IMG_20131007_184628_166.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20131009_142041_289.jpg
    IMG_20131009_142041_289.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 57

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just because I LOOOVE throwing Gasoline on Fire.

I just wanted to restate that I bought a 2500 Crew Cab for myself and my dog.
I don't tow, hell I don't use the bed!

:dogpile:

illyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Want it and need it!
I love this truck. My Chevy rode like a car, this thing drives and rides like a truck.
My Chevy is 1500 though.

Hard to tell from the pics... Have you done any light mods? I am looking to upgrade my headlights and fogs to brighter lights, and am curious to what you may have done with your setup. Good lookin Cummins!

DatacomGuy

Reaction score

Seriously? Who cares..!

ultra2207

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys seriously buy 2500's and don't even two or haul anything? Haha jk, I'm probably the worst for that on this forum. I have absolutely zero need for a truck. I rented a vehicle from enterprise and they only had a ram or malibu available so I chose the ram. I liked it so much I went out and bought one right after that. I don't haul or tow ****. Now it's lifted on 35" trail grapplers and the most mud it's seen is from driving in a baseball parking lot for one of my son's tball games. Worst part is now I'm looking into 2500's. Always wanted one for some reason.

sent via Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sundown