Ram 1500 EV is questionable if it makes it to market

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
lol.by the time i have to replace the car how much will you have spent on yours in gas,oil,tuneups,etc.last time i changed plugs in a hemi it cost me a friggin fortune.lets not forget the slow decline in compression,burned out coil packs and trans wear ,and lets not forget the hemi tick and the manifold fiasco and the long idle problems.and then there's the worn out diff and all the components that are involved in 4wd. i've been there already,i'm on my 8th truck and they cost to repair and they always need repair,especially in the drivetrain. not buying your arguement. i'll sacrifice a shorter distance/charge to the cost of running an ice any day.i drive a powerwagon and my mileage is atrocious.and if you charge your ev properly and condition the batteries when needed they will last.read an owners manual.there's a procedure to properly charge a Tesla.
Sounds like you need to visit that Ford dealer with 9 Lightnings setting on the show room floor and get you a real truck

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, we are not ready for the EV to totally take over the transportation needs of Our Country, but that is no reason to totally abandon them.
What I don't understand is why most of the designers, (looking at you cybertruck) look like the only tools they had was a t-square and a triangle. Damn, Edsels looked like space ships compared to that ugly POS.

RickyJ108

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
half the price but the cost of maintenance is 1000x what is is for an ev. my wifes Tesla cost $15 for maintenance in 2023,not including insurance.it may be a little more next year because it will need new wiper blades. she's on the list for a cybertruck.if we're on a road trip it cost about $17 for a full recharge which goes on my oldest sons account.my powerwagon cost about $200 to fill.
Wait till the battery goes or if you get a flat. Hopefully you went full green with wind or solar to charge that EDV. You didn't add how much your wife uses in electric charges, or how much the charging station costs after it was installed at your residence. If your counting gas in your Powerwagon then you should be adding what the Tesla uses in electric also.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting read..so many different opinions.Two sides as always. I will be sticking with my Warlock for the years 5-10 i have left on this planet. I seriusly doubt that the Charging infrastructure at home and on the road will be sufficient by the end of years. Never mind the cost of the electricity and the grid upgrade that will be needed in that grid to power the millions of commuters with EV's. Then there are the different environmental ( cold weather, Floods from Hurricanes ) factors..well guess we will see...to each their own..guess it depends on your logic and foresight in any situation..Cheers from the True Cold White North..mush you Huskies..LOL !

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting read..so many different opinions.Two sides as always. I will be sticking with my Warlock for the years 5-10 i have left on this planet. I seriusly doubt that the Charging infrastructure at home and on the road will be sufficient by the end of years. Never mind the cost of the electricity and the grid upgrade that will be needed in that grid to power the millions of commuters with EV's. Then there are the different environmental ( cold weather, Floods from Hurricanes ) factors..well guess we will see...to each their own..guess it depends on your logic and foresight in any situation..Cheers from the True Cold White North..mush you Huskies..LOL !
Well, having a EV in a flood zone seems to me a disaster and up in frigid temps not work. Then there is the electric grid: In TX, we feel lucky if we make it through winter and summer time temps with no blackouts and electric to run heat and cool homes. No way, the extremely poorly maintained, IMHO, Texas Power Grid gonna be able to accommodate EV's. Every summer we hear: shut down, put yer thermostat on 80, winter, turn yer thermostat way down, etc etc. Just not a plausible thing, EV's. FTR, no EV for me. Serves no purpose other then expense I see no future for. Not see an EV pulling my 2,150 lb stock trailer full of hay anywhere, But what do I know, I's a BOIRD.

army turk1.JPG

lobo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 c.i.
After the disaster with Ford 150 Lightning, Ford is basically putting the brakes on all of their EV line, GM's Mary Bara has changed the release of their Silverado/Sierra 3 times in 60 days, and now GM says its going to be 2025 maybe?, their 1500 line was supposed to be released last September 2023, the Lake Orion Assembly Plant will be mothballed till some time 2025 where the 1500 EV is to be built, Ford is getting ready to write down billions of dollars again, GM and Stellantis have been dragging their feet on their 1500's and for good reasons, nobody whats to buy an EV pickup truck along with other EV's. Rivian has dropped their production over 50% since 2022, and they dont make that many in the first place, not to mention their ugly as hell, they are loosing over 32K per unit, their stock is tanking, and to top it off, many of their trucks that have been on the road for a while are having tons of problems, and many of these problems they don't know how to fix, good luck Rivian.

Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares hates EV's, but he puts up with them because of government cash and mandates, Tavares was told by government "if you don't sell EV's, you die", Tavares has way more brains than any government leaders, so Tavares dragged his feet, Ford announced they are doubling their ICE units, GM announced they are increasing ICE production because their running out of money, and to make money you have to make vehicles people want. To top things off people aren't buying the climate emergency crap enviro whacks and ******** politicians have been screaming, and thats coming back to roost on these politicians and special interest, there is an eniro whacks in my area who screams climate emergency and we all need EV's, yet he bought a new ICE Ridgeline to haul his crap to his cabin cruiser with twin 502 marine Chevy engines, he said he needed that truck, yes these special interest people are hypocrites.
EV's are toy's for the rich and the foolhardy. The working man has better things to spend his hard earned money on.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EXACTLY...question is what will it take to get all the rest of those "boirds' to realize..guess "can't see the forest for the trees",,and other noteworthy sayings come into play here.. Ahh, nomatter, I will just sit back on my rocker between waxing the Hemi and watching Nascar & NFL and downing some suds and see how it all unfolds...cheers from the non EV TCWN..!IMG_20160123_154514.jpg

Last edited:

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
What I would like to see if more PHEV, the ones out now get you 35-45 miles of all electric, then they kick over to gas. If they could boost them up some, would be even better. That would be perfect for the wife and I since we are an 8 mile commute each way to work.

I talked to someone who has had a Tesla S for a few years now and when he got it, his insurance doubled/month from when he had his Golf R.. Most people do not realize that. I have no idea about his homeowners as he does not have a garage. Another friend just spent $1600 on tires for his Model Y.

I was on the list to get a Lightning, but with the prices going sky high and the real world mileage, I got my deposit back and never looked back..

Moparzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol.by the time i have to replace the car how much will you have spent on yours in gas,oil,tuneups,etc.last time i changed plugs in a hemi it cost me a friggin fortune.lets not forget the slow decline in compression,burned out coil packs and trans wear ,and lets not forget the hemi tick and the manifold fiasco and the long idle problems.and then there's the worn out diff and all the components that are involved in 4wd. i've been there already,i'm on my 8th truck and they cost to repair and they always need repair,especially in the drivetrain. not buying your arguement. i'll sacrifice a shorter distance/charge to the cost of running an ice any day.i drive a powerwagon and my mileage is atrocious.and if you charge your ev properly and condition the batteries when needed they will last.read an owners manual.there's a procedure to properly charge a Tesla.
You've got to be kidding. I go on vacation with the family all over the US. I get almost 450 miles on a tank gas and fill up in 5 minutes. I don't have to waste hours and hours to recharge, or worry about finding a way to get to a recharge station. I can haul a trailer if I want and can travel all over the country with no worries. Your overpriced electric toy is a POS. If any one backs into it or you get into any accident, good luck finding parts or someone that will even work on it. Your complaints about ICE make me laugh. You think that rolling electric fire hazard you drive doesn't have problems....please get real. You got taken by a "woke" idiotic fad. The more people that have experience with electric vehicles, the more people hate them. Go wait in line at a charging station while everyone else in ICE vehicles drives by.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
You've got to be kidding. I go on vacation with the family all over the US. I get almost 450 miles on a tank gas and fill up in 5 minutes. I don't have to waste hours and hours to recharge, or worry about finding a way to get to a recharge station. I can haul a trailer if I want and can travel all over the country with no worries. Your overpriced electric toy is a POS. If any one backs into it or you get into any accident, good luck finding parts or someone that will even work on it. Your complaints about ICE make me laugh. You think that rolling electric fire hazard you drive doesn't have problems....please get real. You got taken by a "woke" idiotic fad. The more people that have experience with electric vehicles, the more people hate them. Go wait in line at a charging station while everyone else in ICE vehicles drives by.
touched a nerve huh? it takes 12 mins to fully charge with a quick charge.you do you bud.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
touched a nerve huh? it takes 12 mins to fully charge with a quick charge.you do you bud.
The average vehicle on American roads is 12.5 years old, and that number creeps a little higher every year due to the ongoing govt war on the middle class. The average EV battery only lasts 10 years.

Perhaps you are familiar with that old robot saying "Does not compute!"

Attachments

• environmental-issues-electric_car-hybrid-hybrid_car-petrol-petrol_car-mban4329_low.jpg
    environmental-issues-electric_car-hybrid-hybrid_car-petrol-petrol_car-mban4329_low.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 8

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
The average vehicle on American roads is 12.5 years old, and that number creeps a little higher every year due to the ongoing govt war on the middle class. The average EV battery only lasts 10 years.

Perhaps you are familiar with that old robot saying "Does not compute!"
your gov. maybe.10 years? i guess i'll see.i love hearing from the people who don't even own an EV let alone driven or even sat in one . tell me more on how my car will fail and how hard they are to charge. and how few and far betweeen the charging stations are and how hard they are to fix with aluminum bodies(Ford).you have no dog in the fight but you're right and i'm wrong.oookaaay.i spent $12 on maintenance and $0on fuel this past year but i'm the fool? right.tell me how much you spent in 10 years on maint/fuel so i can laugh in your face

Last edited:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
you,sir are completly clueless to electric vehicles.hurts to hear but sorry,it's true.i can do this all day.nothing amuses me more than someone that doesn't own an EV telling me i'm wrong because they "know someone" or read it on the net..my immediate family owns 3 Teslas,soon to be 5,but please tell me how you know more than me.

Last edited:

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
your gov. maybe.10 years? i guess i'll see.i love hearing from the people who don't even own an EV. tell me more on how my car will fail and how hard they are to charge. and how few and far betweeen the charging stations are and how hard they are to fix with aluminum bodies(Ford).you have no dog in the fight but you're right and i'm wrong.oookaaay.i spent $ on maintenance past year but i'm the fool? right.
Sure EVs work for some people. If you drive short distances and have ready access to charging at home and at places you frequent, like work, you can do just fine with them. Recognize that your situation is hardly typical and what works for you won't work for a huge percentage of people. People who rent, people who drive long distance regularly. People who live in rural areas with little to no access to public charging. People who can only afford one vehicle.

That you are on a Ram forum as an EV owner tells me you own more than one vehicle. So you're wealthy and you can afford to live with the quirks of an EV. The vast majority of drivers aren't wealthy and can only afford one vehicle. That's why traditional coupes and sedans are vanishing, replaced by cute-ute "crossovers" that are really glorified station wagons. People can only have one car and that car has to be able to do everything for them and their family. Whether that's the daily commute or driving 1000 miles in a weekend.

When an EV can run reliably for decades and be charged in under 5 minutes at one of a million stations dotted all over the land then we can talk about them being practical. Until then they are playthings for the wealthy.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ha Ha Ha..too funny bcbouy...You live in a little bubble...where you drive your EV ? Try it up here in Canada in the snow and cold...and what do you tow or carry..hmmm? Go for a cross country road trip...then come back and tell us about your EV and how easy it was to “ charge or even try and find a charger.and how long to recharge...ha ha...you my rich friend are what is out in my bull pasture and I don ‘t mean the cows or grass..oh and what type and year was that "Sparky" of yours?..be safe out there...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357