Does 4auto hi/lo really lock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
I had a little sticker shock too, and I purposely ordered mine with almost no options because I need the towing and cargo capacity. I had a Silverado, which I was very happy with, and I was going to go with their 2500 but neither Chevy or Ford would let me order a truck. I had to take what was available on the lot, and everything was way more truck - bells and whistles-wise - than I needed or wanted to pay for. RAM was the only one that would let me order what I wanted, so that's the reason I went with them. Not that I don't think RAM is fine, it just wasn't my #1 choice. The only options I got were tow hooks, the spray-in bedliner, anti-spin rear end, and 5th-wheel prep package and I still had to pay more than $45k.
I do like the new tundra but was not going to be the tester since it’s a whole new truck, but price wise they are pretty reasonable for what you can get. I went with the classic hoping they would have there **** together at this point configuration wise as well.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I do like the new tundra but was not going to be the tester since it’s a whole new truck, but price wise they are pretty reasonable for what you can get. I went with the classic hoping they would have there **** together at this point configuration wise as well.
I almost got the Tundra, too. But I was thinking 5th-wheel at the time and that short bed wasn't going to cut it.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
I almost got the Tundra, too. But I was thinking 5th-wheel at the time and that short bed wasn't going to cut it.
You can get a short, standard, or 8 foot box depending on configuration.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can get a short, standard, or 8 foot box depending on configuration.
True, I honestly don't recall why I shied away from it, but it had to do with not getting the towing capacity I wanted.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How about the less expensive, better value trucks instead of lower end? I have a 2018 2500 Tradesman that is worth a tuck under what I paid for it brand new in 2019 and don't have $800 payments (actually no payment). Plus it has every option I wanted and tows much more than the "higher end" trucks.
So true..had a 18 2500 Tradesman bought new for 38k in 2019. Traded in on 2022 Silverado 2500 and the Chevy dealership gave me 38k. Would have gotten another Ram but a 2500 gasser was nowhere to be found.

Craig52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a new 2018 Big Horn 1500 crew cab, 5.7, 4x4, towing pkg, 20 inch chrome rims, 3.92 rear end, MSRP 49,335…I paid $35,535

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

This is a post that explains what I'm asking about the new Gen.
To put it simply, there is no change. Auto-4Hi is NOT AWD. Auto-4Hi means that it engages 4WD (auto-matically...) when it sense slippage. AWD always applies some torque to all wheels. Some makes/models control that amount through various means that make it more or less effective than others.

All I can say is that I (almost) never use Auto-4Hi. It's terrible, because you start spinning before it kicks in, and at low speed that means you're stopped before you get 4WD and by then even 4WD isn't enough to start again. Back down the hill, engage 4-Hi and go up like you're supposed to.