Done a 8 speed trans filter and fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I hear ya, but they'd have to make an effort to make it more complicated. Maybe remove the transmission and set it on the specialized mount. Set it to 15.85 degrees on the y axis and 7.85 on the x axis. Then while sitting on top of it rotate at 17 rpm while holding the check fluid lever on the back right corner while simultaneously looking in the sight glass on the front left corner and pouring in fluid to the appropriate level through the fill port using the special fill tool set to 11.3 psi. Any deviation to this process will result in complete failure.

**** don't be giving them any ideas,lol:rotflmao:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah, totally forgot about that. Also, the fluid must be transported and stored just like the moderna covid vaccine

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
did another drain and fill the other day ( 2nd one in 1k miles ), plan on one more in about another 1k miles to get most of the old fluid out.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I read up on Burla’s research but I’ve also read on some of the higher performance trucks they’ve noticed slip. I’m assuming there is a minor difference in the friction additives. Not sure that would be something I’m super concerned about since I’ll at max be around 450 to 475 crank. I’m waiting for more in field research. .

I have a feeling some of the higher horsepower guys are exceeding the torque rating of the transmission. I thought it was 450 lb-ft ish rating, but the link below says 516 lb-ft. Plenty to handle a stock engine but doesnt give a lot of play for power adders.

https://www.dieselhub.com/trans/torqueflite-8.html

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a feeling some of the higher horsepower guys are exceeding the torque rating of the transmission. I thought it was 450 lb-ft ish rating, but the link below says 516 lb-ft. Plenty to handle a stock engine but doesnt give a lot of play for power adders.

The rating is constant load. The guys pushing 800hp are not pushing that constantly. Go on high performance rams on Facebook. Plenty of guys running pro chargers pushing 450-500hp and up with no issues. If they were pulling trailers uphill with that I’m sure you’d see more burned transmissions

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

ZF rates the trannies in Newton / Meters,to find the trannies torque rating in lb-ft all you have to do is convert the last 2 digits of the trannies number to a multiple of 10 and that gives you it's NM rating.ie the 8HP70 would be 700 nm or 516lb-ft , the 8HP75 is 750 nm or roughly 553 lb-ft , 8HP90 would be 900 nm or roughly 663.8 lb-ft , 8HP95 would be 950 nm or roughly 700.7 lb-ft.
As CrazyKid mentioned those are a constant rating which they'll hold fully loaded towing up a 5 mile long 6% grade. On a 10 or 11 sec 1/4 mile pass,they'll hold well in excess of those numbers ,"with a good tranny tune", a ****** tranny tune,done by an inexperienced tuner,can cook a ZF 8 speed in very short order even under it's rated constant rating.It's not uncommon for the 8HP70 to hold 700 lb-ft and live

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Makes sense its a constant load rating. Also the N-M torque ratings make more sense. I dunno how much safety factor other manufacturers include in their transmissions nowadays, but I always thought they were cutting the rating a bit close on the 8 speed rams.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Makes sense its a constant load rating. Also the N-M torque ratings make more sense. I dunno how much safety factor other manufacturers include in their transmissions nowadays, but I always thought they were cutting the rating a bit close on the 8 speed rams.

Matt Fikac is putting over 1100rwhp through his 8HP70.HellRaiser will build you one to hold 1,000+rwhp reliably

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have ye looked at the Motul ATF VI fluid? 8qt for $70-80 I think on Amazon and from a short bit of digging I did yesterday it's the only one that actually lists the correct ZF spec as compatible. The AMSoil fluid (while I'm sure they're good, honestly) don't list the correct compatible ZF spec.

It'll be next summer before I decide to do a fluid/filter change, but I like to research stuff anyway. Might also spring for the PPE pan, just to save money next time...and have a drain plug I can actually use.

Last edited:

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have ye looked at the Motul ATF VI fluid? 8qt for $70-80 I think on Amazon and from a short bit of digging I did yesterday it's the only one that actually lists the correct ZF spec as compatible. The AMSoil fluid (while I'm sure they're good, honestly) don't list the correct compatible ZF spec.

It'll be next summer before I decide to do a fluid/filter change, but I like to research stuff anyway. Might also spring for the PPE pan, just to save money next time...and have a drain plug I can actually use.
Im contemplating this fluid. Id like to know the pour point