Downshift Issue 2018 Ram 2500 w/68RFE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N0NAMETOGIVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 / 6.4
I am going through the exact same issue now on my 2018 3500 with the 68RFE except i think it is from 3rd to 2nd, right at 20mph. Started at ~35k miles. Repair lasted about 2-months and repaired again under warranty. Lasted ~6-months until warranty expired and then happened again. Had trans rebuilt for $7k. Lasted 3-months then again and parts replaced under repair warranty. Happened again in ~3-months and they did a refresh which lasted about another 3-months. Took to another dealer, I travel a lot, and they replaced a broken balance spring and clutch/plates, another $2k. Said they were never replaces under trans rebuild. I got a day and a half, less than 50 miles and it started again. Going back in on Monday.

Ram Customer Care said they would work with the dealer to help solve the issue and MAY help financially. Considering a trade in. If anyone has an suggestions, they would be welcome.

New to this forum, found it through my issue search.
I believe people are too paranoid and start swapping parts. The truck is programmed to protect itself, and most people assume it's broken. Whether it's the shift that makes the rpm look like it's slipping, hard downshifts in tow mode, rear end popping when shifting out of drive, or not downshifting when pressing the pedal. From new to both 2500HD, and 5500HD being passed 102k and still keeping the same characteristics.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am going through the exact same issue now on my 2018 3500 with the 68RFE except i think it is from 3rd to 2nd, right at 20mph. Started at ~35k miles. Repair lasted about 2-months and repaired again under warranty. Lasted ~6-months until warranty expired and then happened again. Had trans rebuilt for $7k. Lasted 3-months then again and parts replaced under repair warranty. Happened again in ~3-months and they did a refresh which lasted about another 3-months. Took to another dealer, I travel a lot, and they replaced a broken balance spring and clutch/plates, another $2k. Said they were never replaces under trans rebuild. I got a day and a half, less than 50 miles and it started again. Going back in on Monday.

Ram Customer Care said they would work with the dealer to help solve the issue and MAY help financially. Considering a trade in. If anyone has an suggestions, they would be welcome.

New to this forum, found it through my issue search.
Stock truck, no tune? Do you drive it unloaded with T/H and/or EB on?

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was searching for an answer to this question a while back and asked a question on someone else's thread. I didn't want to resurrect an old thread so I thought I would repost my issue here, update you on what happened, and is happening again.

Here is my original post:

I have a 2018 Ram 2500 w/ 6.7L Cummins and the RFE68 6 speed transmission. In February 2021 at about 50K miles I started to experience a very harsh downshift from 5th to 4th. I should also state that almost 100% of the time I am in Tow/Haul mode and use the Full-time Exhaust Brake feature. In town I also limit the transmission to a max of 4th gear so I don't lug the motor. It keeps it in a higher torque range and it drives much smoother. On the freeway I limit the transmission to 5th gear while I'm towing which is 95% of the time I'm using the truck. After it happened a few times I confirmed the issue by using the Driver Selectable Gear mode and limiting the truck to 4th gear. While decelerating it downshifted smoothly through the whole range 4-3-2-1. Then I used the DSG mode to allow the transmission to shift into 5th gear. During deceleration the transmission downshifted very harshly from 5-4 and then downshifted smoothly from 4-3-2-1. I repeated the testing using just the Tow/Haul Mode, just the Exhaust Brake Mode, and again with both the TH mode and the EB Mode engaged.

The transmission downshifted harshly from 5-4 in all modes but did so more harshly while using the combination of the TH and EB Mode. I took the truck in to the dealer for service and the tech confirmed the issue. They refreshed the computer and went through a relearn mode. The truck was under warranty but they charged me for the update saying it wasn't covered under. I balked at that but lost the battle. The transmission was fine for about 5 months and in until August 2021 at about 80K miles the issue came back. I made an appointment and took the truck in. They called and said the tech was not able to confirm my issue and asked me to come in. I took a different tech (the previous tech already went home) out for a test drive and on the first downshift the problem was confirmed. We went back to the shop and the Service Manager said they couldn't work on my truck since the transmission guy went home. (That was the tech that couldn't confirm my issue) and it might be a day or two until they could get to it. That didn't work for me since I use the truck for my job. I made a new appointment and said that was the day they could work on it.

I took the truck in for its new appointment and it still took them two days to service it. WTF?!!! They corrected the issue with another refresh and test drive. I told them I wasn't paying for the same thing to be done since they just did it. This time I didn't pay for the service. The transmission was working fine until last week, which was two weeks after they fixed it, and now it is doing the same thing.

Has anyone else had this issue and what do you guys think it might be and what is my recourse for getting it permanently fixed?

So several months back I had the valve body replaced by the dealer with help from FCA. The technician agreed with me that the hard downshift was a result of the valve body not holding proper pressures which allowed the transmission to shift poorly. The valve body was replaced with about 85K miles on the clock. The new valve body did the trick and the truck has been shifting great.......................until yesterday. The problem has started all over and in the exact some way. I now have 110K miles on the clock so the transmission is no longer under warranty. However, I do intend to contact FCA and complain about the fact that the brand new valve body has only lasted 25K miles which by anyone's standard is a pretty poor quality part. This seems to be about how long they last though. As I've learned through my research the valve body pistons on the 68RFE from Ram are poorly designed, lack tight tolerances, and wear out very quickly and the aftermarket companies are using piston cit from billet aluminum. Not sure if that is marketing hype or truth. But I can see why that would cause them to fail.

If FCA doesn't agree to cover the part I'm considering an aftermarket valve body by companies such as ATS Diesel, Diesel Power Products, Suncoast Diesel, or any other specialty aftermarket diesel transmission companies. Has anyone here had a similar issue and repaired it with an aftermarket transmission from some other company? If so, how was your experience and did it finally correct the issue?
My 2013 with the same transmission has done the same thing since I have owned the truck. I took and changed my filters and replaced the fluid. Still same problem. I have 587,000 miles on my truck now and still shifts hard in and out of 5th gear. I think it is a trait.

OP
OP
R

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I finally purchased a RevMax valve body, new OEM solenoid pack, filter nipple upgrade, thermal bypass, new MOPAR filters, new transmission pan gasket, and OEM transmission fluid. I got it all installed last week and contrary to everything I read on the internet it took 12 quarts of fluid to refill the transmission and not the 6-7 as noted. After the replacement I had to do a relearn. So far it is shifting better that when it was new to me, but that could just be from the relearn. The replacement job itself was super easy and I was done, all in, in about 2 hours. I took my time and made sure everything was torqued to spec.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I finally purchased a RevMax valve body, new OEM solenoid pack, filter nipple upgrade, thermal bypass, new MOPAR filters, new transmission pan gasket, and OEM transmission fluid. I got it all installed last week and contrary to everything I read on the internet it took 12 quarts of fluid to refill the transmission and not the 6-7 as noted. After the replacement I had to do a relearn. So far it is shifting better that when it was new to me, but that could just be from the relearn. The replacement job itself was super easy and I was done, all in, in about 2 hours. I took my time and made sure everything was torqued to spec.

Good work. I see more are in stock @ Summit Racing, as of yesterday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007