DPF Cleaner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan7070

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have a 2020 Ecodiesel. Should I be using a dpf cleaner product? If so, what’s a good brand, and how often?
Thanks!

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a 2020 Ecodiesel. Should I be using a dpf cleaner product? If so, what’s a good brand, and how often?
Thanks
To the best of my knowledge there is no magic DPF cleaning product, just use the freshest DEF you can find, IMO if you don't tow often then its a good idea to take a nice long Sunday afternoon drive on the Hwy no less then twice a month so that the DPF filter gets hot enough to do a full passive regen...

OP
OP
D

Dan7070

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Thanks, good info! I do tow a work Trailer often, so it sounds like I’ll be OK.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Don't buy into any DPF cleaner snake oil, the truck will take care of itself. And just to be clear, DEF fluid has nothing to do with the DPF.

zrock

Reaction score
what was said above its just snake oil.. Best thing you can do is not let it idle for extended periods and give it a good run every once and a while to get things good and hot.. Working on the big rigs and pretty much everything to do with a failure is extended idle.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
IMO if you don't tow often then its a good idea to take a nice long Sunday afternoon drive on the Hwy no less then twice a month so that the DPF filter gets hot enough to do a full passive regen...
The EcoDiesel DPF won't get hot enough just driving on the freeway to do a passive regen, you need to be towing heavy for it to get hot enough for a passive regen. I've seen it happen a handful of times with about 8K behind me.
It is a good idea to run them on the freeway to get things up to operating temperatures and so it's able to do an active regen. An active regen will inject fuel on the exhaust stroke to promote the DPF burn off where as passive regen is just the heat from combustion.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The EcoDiesel DPF won't get hot enough just driving on the freeway to do a passive regen, you need to be towing heavy for it to get hot enough for a passive regen. I've seen it happen a handful of times with about 8K behind me.
It is a good idea to run them on the freeway to get things up to operating temperatures and so it's able to do an active regen. An active regen will inject fuel on the exhaust stroke to promote the DPF burn off where as passive regen is just the heat from combustion.
Did not know they would not get hot enough on a long hwy drive, so I learned something new today :)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have been only driving short runs for the last 2 years.
Once a month, the truck need to do a regen.
My town is at the foot of a hill, at 870 foot
the hill climbs up to 4,200 foot

I hit the highway in 7th gear & drive uphill to 2,200 foot & by then the readout will have gone from 90%, down to 50%
at that point i turn around & drive down hill to return home
The readout drops to 20% & the message goes away

By the way, i hit the highway about a mile from my place & the speed limit is 65 mph, 5 miles uphill, the speed changes to 70 mph, but you may get run over if that is all that you do