DPF Regen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bimmel20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello All,

I have owned my 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins for two years. Periodically, the dash will notify me that a DPF Regen is in process. It will start a countdown at 100% and then slowly tick down to 90%, 80%, 70%, 60% and then give me the "DPF Regen Complete" message. However, the last two times the DPF Regen has started at 100% and just stayed there for about five minutes of driving before it gives me the "DPF Regen Complete" message. It never does the countdown. The first time I found this strange. The second time I thought that it might be reason for concern. Do any of you have any insights on this? TIA

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've owned an 18 2500 CTD for a bit over a year now. Put about 15K on it, much of it hauling a 7K enclosed trailer. I've never seen a regen message of any kind.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I've owned an 18 2500 CTD for a bit over a year now. Put about 15K on it, much of it hauling a 7K enclosed trailer. I've never seen a regen message of any kind.
Chances are you put enough load on the engine and drive it long enough the DPF doesn't need to "actively" clean itself. The DPF % countdown the OP describes is indicating an active regen.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As long as it keeps saying Regen complete I wouldn't worry, but it's good to leave the truck running if the light is on as too many failed attempts will throw the truck into limp mode.

MyTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
On my 2015 2500, I once saw a message similar to the OP. At that time, I also had obd reader where it monitored the dpf regen. Once it reached 100%, the reader would show the countdown from 100% down to a single digit, maybe around 5%. And then there was a recall around 2016 or 2017 regarding the dpf regen software update. Since then, my obd reader has stopped doing the countdown. Once it reached 100%, dpf regen activates. OBD onscreen would jump from 100 down to 10-25% after several miles. It wasn't like the previous where it would actually countdown from 100, 99, 98, and so on. Now that my truck is 6 years old, I don't pay attention to it anymore. I just drive it.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Do only certain trim models have the regen notification on the dash? Mine is an SLT.
I've never seen any such message on my dash in the 17,000+ miles I've driven it. I only tow my TT 3 or 4 times a year and I have no idea if it has ever done a regen cycle.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Do only certain trim models have the regen notification on the dash? Mine is an SLT.
I've never seen any such message on my dash in the 17,000+ miles I've driven it. I only tow my TT 3 or 4 times a year and I have no idea if it has ever done a regen cycle.
I don't know, my 2015 Longhorn doesn't show any notice or status of a regen.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't know, my 2015 Longhorn doesn't show any notice or status of a regen.

2015 won't show a "normal" 24 hour regen like the new trucks do but it will show a "active" regen when it happens. You will get one eventually, really depends on what type of driving you have been doing and you current mileage etc.

Last edited:

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My longhorn equipped version doesnt have a lot of miles, but I have never seen any mention of a regen the whole time we have had it. Which I thought was odd. Had a silverado 3500 before, and I swear that thing regenerated every other time we drove it! Bought the RAM new just to primarily to haul our large fifth wheel camper.

MyTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
On my 2015 CTD long bed, I seldom used it for my 5th RV towing. My office is only 5 miles away so it never really gets "hot". Like I said, I've only seen it once when my truck was new. At the time my obd reader would show the countdown from 100% to 0-5%. There was a software recall in 2015 for whatever reason and ever since then my obd reader would not display the countdown when regenerating. It would only show the DPF Regeneration. You can also tell from the exhaust gas temperatures. The outlet exhaust gas temperature are always higher than the inlet exhaust gas temperature during regeneration. On an average, the regeneration occurs every 600-700 miles. That's because i drive 95% mostly in the city. And also contrary to those who says the truck should be driven with a load or never drive in short distances, my truck is 6 years old and never had any issues regarding DPF, SCR, and DEF. I go through 2 gallons every 12 to 18 months and it's from Costco. In the first year, I paid attention to the date marked on the side of the DEF box. That is because I was curious. After awhile, I stopped. I just buy whenever I need it without checking for the date. By the way, my truck has no aftermarket parts other than the Kenwood radio.

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
And also contrary to those who says the truck should be driven with a load or never drive in short distances, my truck is 6 years old and never had any issues regarding DPF, SCR, and DEF. I go through 2 gallons every 12 to 18 months and it's from Costco. In the first year, I paid attention to the date marked on the side of the DEF box. That is because I was curious. After awhile, I stopped. I just buy whenever I need it without checking for the date. By the way, my truck has no aftermarket parts other than the Kenwood radio.
Thank you! I have found the same thing. The last time I filled the DEF tank was back in Nov. and I live where it's 110°+ and have NEVER had any DEF problems. I also use the cheapest Walmart brand.
From reading all the internet truck forum stuff you would think these trucks are made of crystal and should only use the finest synthetic oil made from unicorn tears and only the FRESHEST DEF made from fairy ****. Name brands only of course.
Every problem you read about here is so overblown it's ridiculous.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The newer trucks use A LOT more DEF. My '19 averages @1600 miles per 2.5 jug when empty, and whole lot more when pulling heavy.

You don't have to avoid short trips, or work your truck, that's true, but remember the ash left over from regens does not go away, so the more frequently it does regens the shorter the life of the DPF.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I wish mine used more def and less egr.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The motor is not my concern, it’s all the electronic crap added to it and the rest of it.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
eBay has stuff for your truck and then the www will need to be searched for a tuner.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I’d like to get more info about that.
What is the EPA fine for removing DPF filter?

Here is the specific fine from the EPA if you are caught with DPF delete: Violators are subject to civil penalties up to $45,268 per non-compliant vehicle or engine, $4,527 per tampering event or sale of the defeat device, and $45,268 per day for reporting and recordkeeping violations.Jun 4, 2018