Drag link recall "How Ram Handles it"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boondocks

Reaction score
still waiting on an actual answer myself- @RamCares responded in a thread i made last week about this issue and directions were followed with a direct message but still radio silence lol. The part numbers for the drag link that is out there but i feel now that this issue is gaining traction- it will be shut down. - because it shouldnt take 3 weeks for a reply back via PM ... when your profile says your active every day haha
I’ve been in contact with Ram but I’ll refrain from posting speculation on my case until I can actually talk to my case manager.

I don’t think it would be such the issue if Ram wasn’t charging $400+ for the drag link itself, or if aftermarket came out with a cheaper quality option. Many of us would just pay for the parts if we could get a drag link for less than $200 like the pre-2014 trucks.

The only aftermarket drag link assembly so far is Moog, which is still around $300, and I don’t trust Moog’s quality with their decline over the last couple years. I can speak from experience that their recently made ball joints don’t last long on our trucks. I talked to a product development guy from Mevotech (great customer service by the way) and they won’t have a drag link assembly for a bit yet. That leaves us with just Mopar or Moog for updated drag links if we need one now.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
At this point in time some of you folks are expecting too much. You have 6 yr old or older vehicle that is out of warranty do to time and/or miles and you are replacing other steering parts , yet you want Ram to replace a part that has been fine and is past its life expectancy anyways.
Lose the stress and buy a new one and be done. Especially since you're already replacing the other steering gear anyways. I cannot see your logic in thinking here.

Had mine replaced thru RamCares last spring . 2014 3500 9 years old . Haven't replaced a steering part yet on mine, except this drag link which was a defective part from the get go. I don't see your logic here , never have been fond of having to pay for someone else's **** up !!!!

tacomak22

Reaction score
For those that have been approved or denied by Ram Cares for a new drag link recently, how long the did the decision take?

I called Ram Cares last week and sent @RamCares a message, but I haven’t heard anything.
same
Had mine replaced thru RamCares last spring . 2014 3500 9 years old . Haven't replaced a steering part yet on mine, except this drag link which was a defective part from the get go. I don't see your logic here , never have been fond of having to pay for someone else's **** up !!!!
exactly … the part was designed, cleared by design management, to be a fully adjustable part. It’s now not adjustable-

Wonder if that guy would be upset if they said hey we know oil is necessary for engine life but ehh the oil pan screw kept backing out so we decided to weld it shut for the life of the vehicle … good luck

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I’ve been in contact with Ram but I’ll refrain from posting speculation on my case until I can actually talk to my case manager.

I don’t think it would be such the issue if Ram wasn’t charging $400+ for the drag link itself, or if aftermarket came out with a cheaper quality option. Many of us would just pay for the parts if we could get a drag link for less than $200 like the pre-2014 trucks.

The only aftermarket drag link assembly so far is Moog, which is still around $300, and I don’t trust Moog’s quality with their decline over the last couple years. I can speak from experience that their recently made ball joints don’t last long on our trucks. I talked to a product development guy from Mevotech (great customer service by the way) and they won’t have a drag link assembly for a bit yet. That leaves us with just Mopar or Moog for updated drag links if we need one now.

For over a year now for $120 you can buy a new adjuster sleeve.
Pick one up and have your shop swap it out if you can't handle it yourself.

Here's a video of the install. OK4wd has them.

Screenshot_20231215_174812_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231215_174406_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Nietzsche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I just had the drag link replaced by RAM Cares last month. I contacted them via this forum and the lady called me in just a few days. We set up my appointment and the dealership replaced the drag link and did the alignment at no charge. Completely hassle free. 2017 2500

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just had the drag link replaced by RAM Cares last month. I contacted them via this forum and the lady called me in just a few days. We set up my appointment and the dealership replaced the drag link and did the alignment at no charge. Completely hassle free. 2017 2500

As said same thing here , I’m not understanding why some are having difficulty, couldn’t have been easier.

Some want to argue the fact , but IMO, if you had let them weld it you are SOL . That welding was their final solution , and that notice that came was for the welded drag links on how to do alignment, and warning , and stickers not to mess with the welded nuts . If that is not enough prove that you are stuck with that welded drag link don’t know what to tell you . Those that choose not to let them weld I assume have never had that notice on alignment , I know I haven’t.

IMO at this point with the ones that are welded, buy that new sleeve , or drag link , and move on .

Lifted Silver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Hemi
Had mine replaced through ramcares no issues. Not sure the full story here but given the tone of your response I'm guessing there is some animosity on both sides at this point so you might be best to contact @RamCares on here and have them set you up with another dealer.

I am going through the same charade with RAM, I have even reached out to RAM Cares and they really just don't care.

rayvonp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 2018 needed an alignment three different shops would not do it because of the recall fix, so I went to my dealer and they did do it at the cost of $300.00. I messaged @RamCares about this and after week was told they understand that it is an inconvenience to have to pay extra money for an alignment due to the recall but there is nothing they can do.