Drag link recall "How Ram Handles it"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Ram Dares took care of me. I requested the new Drag Link and it was delivered to my dealer. I arranged it to coincide with a scheduled service appt. The dealer almost forgot, but with a prod. they got it done.

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"I’m really doubting there is a full recall replacing these drag links."

Ok. You caught me. I'm just a guy with nothing to do who spreads false hope around the internet with evil intent. :rolleyes:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
If I had a 10 yr old truck and they offered me a free new model drag link I would take it and run. But you expect an alignment out of the deal too, when it doesn't need an alignment when replacing the drag link.
Seems you're expecting too much on a 10yr old truck on a part that already outlived the warranty and possibly service life (unknown miles).

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If I had a 10 yr old truck and they offered me a free new model drag link I would take it and run. But you expect an alignment out of the deal too, when it doesn't need an alignment when replacing the drag link.
Seems you're expecting too much on a 10yr old truck on a part that already outlived the warranty and possibly service life (unknown miles).
Exactly. Who cares how they offer it.... if they do, take it and say thank you. It's really no big deal. I had to pay to replace the one on my 2012 and even then it wasn't that expensive nor time consuming. I did it in the driveway in about an hour.

mopareg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Can someone who has replaced their drag link with an aftermarket tell me what brand they bought.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@RamCares has helped a whole lot of folks on this forum get their draglinks changed and front ends tightened up. If you approach anyone with an aggressive attitude their response is likely to want to get rid of the an ole on the other end of the line . These people are doing their jobs ,they do not deserve to be spoken down to or treated with out respect. I bet you weren’t very nice . You would be surprised how well people can treat you if you treat them well also. If the drag link fiasco was handled well in the first place none of this would be happening,however this is where things stand . I personally would not let a warranty dictate my life ,fix it and move on . It’s not worth the energy expelled letting this eat at you.
While what you say is true, and very wise, the reason it is called “customer service” is that (like many other forms of service) it is hard work. It is your job to deal with nasty people. Customers who paid a lot of hard earned money and chose your product over a sea of similar crap (what isn’t these days). If you don’t know how or want to do service, get another job.

What is “fixed” exactly? Welded suspension components? My Dad who spent 30 years as a pipe fitter and boilermaker isn’t impressed. I just hope those who say they got good service actually did (vs the usual marketing propaganda).

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
While what you say is true, and very wise, the reason it is called “customer service” is that (like many other forms of service) it is hard work. It is your job to deal with nasty people. Customers who paid a lot of hard earned money and chose your product over a sea of similar crap (what isn’t these days). If you don’t know how or want to do service, get another job.

What is “fixed” exactly? Welded suspension components? My Dad who spent 30 years as a pipe fitter and boilermaker isn’t impressed. I just hope those who say they got good service actually did (vs the usual marketing propaganda).
It is called customer service not abuse by customer service. Folks have plenty of work to do and in most jobs there is a certain leeway in how it is done versus "what the book says". Treat people poorly and your request will the last thing they work on and they will do it "by the book". Just the way the world works. It costs nothing to be polite and often results in getting what you want and everybody is happy.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Can someone who has replaced their drag link with an aftermarket tell me what brand they bought.

Synergy is what most people bought. But I'll be honest, I've seen more then a couple pre-mature end link failures reported with those. I'd get the new OEM one before I'd buy an aftermarket.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is called customer service not abuse by customer service. Folks have plenty of work to do and in most jobs there is a certain leeway in how it is done versus "what the book says". Treat people poorly and your request will the last thing they work on and they will do it "by the book". Just the way the world works. It costs nothing to be polite and often results in getting what you want and everybody is happy.
Oh I get it. That’s why I typed the first couple sentences before getting to the point. However, my mom spent her whole life in service jobs. She dealt with a lot of bears. She actually got pleasure out of taking the time to listen, understand, help and turn an angry customer that will never buy your product again into a loyal customer. That’s actually part of the job, and what builds brand loyalty.

The problem is you also have a lot of people who want a check but don’t like work. They do the bare minimum, if that. Busy is no excuse, as you said we’re all busy. Glad some folks are happy… maybe it’s ok to have customer service reps who don’t care about hanging up or upsetting customers. Maybe that will be future Ford/Chevy owners and eventually you’ll be laid off. Karma works both ways.

Golden rule is great, but part of that is also understanding when someone else is having a bad time. They can only give 90% so you give 110%. Other days the favor is returned.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I always wonder why folks think brands, other than the one the are unhappy with at any given moment, somehow have stellar customer service. I have owned and had poor customer service with GM and Ford. They are all drawing from the same pool of available workers in any given market area and pay is pretty much the same in that market area.

Boondocks

Reaction score
For those that have been approved or denied by Ram Cares for a new drag link recently, how long the did the decision take?

I called Ram Cares last week and sent @RamCares a message, but I haven’t heard anything.

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
For those that have been approved or denied by Ram Cares for a new drag link recently, how long the did the decision take?

I called Ram Cares last week and sent @RamCares a message, but I haven’t heard anything.
I sent a message a few weeks back, never got a reply. Just called in and was denied due to the recall being already completed within their spec - welded the old one.

FCA is garbage up here in Canada. For what the part and the reputation is worth, you’d think they’d do a bit more than what I’ve so far experienced…

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ram Cares REALLY helped me out and it was no cost to me. I'm for sure starting with RamCares if i ever have an issue.

Boondocks

Reaction score
I sent a message a few weeks back, never got a reply. Just called in and was denied due to the recall being already completed within their spec - welded the old one.

FCA is garbage up here in Canada. For what the part and the reputation is worth, you’d think they’d do a bit more than what I’ve so far experienced…
I’m not too optimistic for me at this point, and I need to vent. My problem is my steering gear needs replacing and I know the steering wheel will be significantly off centered if I can’t adjust the drag link after replacing the steering gear.

The Ram case manager updated me that the drag link may be covered but not a dealer inspection or alignment. That’s fine with me because I want an alignment anyways. They said I needed to call a dealer and they’d know how to get the process started. The case manager said they no longer initiate drag links at their level but dealers do (which didn’t seem right from what I’ve read here but I wasn’t going to argue).

First dealer I called had the very firm answer that you were given, in which the recalled part was already fixed. He went to say it will my fault if the steering wheel isn’t centered after “I go switching parts or modifying things”. Like it’s my choice that my steering gear needs replacing.

I called another dealer. He was a bit more upfront in that he knows the welded drag link is an issue for centering the steering wheel after it’s welded, but he said welding was the completed recall so the recall is closed. He had no knowledge that Ram may cover a new drag link after welding and did not think it was possible. He said he’s had other customers pay for new drag links to get their steering wheels centered after future alignments. He wasn’t willing to try submitting anything unless Customer Care called him first.

I called Ram back and left messages for my case manager. I haven’t been called back.

I’m getting frustrated. It’s a safety issue if my wife and I can’t reference which way is straight with the steering wheel after I replace the steering gear and the steering wheel is way off from center.

I just want an answer if I can be reimbursed if I pay for a new drag link and install it myself. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get a call back from my case manager with better luck but I’m not hopeful.

I haven’t received any response from my message to @RamCares It’s frustrating seeing their posts from earlier this year saying they can help with getting welded drag links replaced and then it’s crickets when I actually need it for a legitimate reason.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
At this point in time some of you folks are expecting too much. You have 6 yr old or older vehicle that is out of warranty do to time and/or miles and you are replacing other steering parts , yet you want Ram to replace a part that has been fine and is past its life expectancy anyways.
Lose the stress and buy a new one and be done. Especially since you're already replacing the other steering gear anyways. I cannot see your logic in thinking here.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just want an answer if I can be reimbursed if I pay for a new drag link and install it myself.

I can answer that, No. They have not reimbursed anyone in Years for the drag link. That was something they did before they had a in-house solution. They might replace it for you but they will not reimburse you if you have it done yourself.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I’m not too optimistic for me at this point, and I need to vent. My problem is my steering gear needs replacing and I know the steering wheel will be significantly off centered if I can’t adjust the drag link after replacing the steering gear.

The Ram case manager updated me that the drag link may be covered but not a dealer inspection or alignment. That’s fine with me because I want an alignment anyways. They said I needed to call a dealer and they’d know how to get the process started. The case manager said they no longer initiate drag links at their level but dealers do (which didn’t seem right from what I’ve read here but I wasn’t going to argue).

First dealer I called had the very firm answer that you were given, in which the recalled part was already fixed. He went to say it will my fault if the steering wheel isn’t centered after “I go switching parts or modifying things”. Like it’s my choice that my steering gear needs replacing.

I called another dealer. He was a bit more upfront in that he knows the welded drag link is an issue for centering the steering wheel after it’s welded, but he said welding was the completed recall so the recall is closed. He had no knowledge that Ram may cover a new drag link after welding and did not think it was possible. He said he’s had other customers pay for new drag links to get their steering wheels centered after future alignments. He wasn’t willing to try submitting anything unless Customer Care called him first.

I called Ram back and left messages for my case manager. I haven’t been called back.

I’m getting frustrated. It’s a safety issue if my wife and I can’t reference which way is straight with the steering wheel after I replace the steering gear and the steering wheel is way off from center.

I just want an answer if I can be reimbursed if I pay for a new drag link and install it myself. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get a call back from my case manager with better luck but I’m not hopeful.

I haven’t received any response from my message to @RamCares It’s frustrating seeing their posts from earlier this year saying they can help with getting welded drag links replaced and then it’s crickets when I actually need it for a legitimate reason.
If you replace the steering gear and the wheel is way off center you did something wrong or don’t have the right steering gear.

Boondocks

Reaction score
If you replace the steering gear and the wheel is way off center you did something wrong or don’t have the right steering gear.
It’s tolerance stacking. The steering input shaft can only go on in a couple ways on these trucks. The pitman arm can only go onto the gear box in four ways due to how the splines are cut. That means where the steering wheel ends up is all dependent on the steering box manufacturer cutting all these splines in the exact same way, and placing the stud hole in the exact same spot in the pitman arm. The new steering gear box and pitman arm is not going to be perfectly the exact same to the old one.

Normally, you account for the tolerance differences in the steering box components by adjusting the drag link to center the steering wheel again after changing the steering box. It’s not possible due to how they welded the adjuster.

As for people saying “you have an older truck and parts wear out”, I agree to a point but disagree here. Drag links designs have adjusters for a reason. They essentially removed that feature when they welded it, which prevents future ability to replace parts (like a steering gear box) or center the steering wheel for future wheel alignments as components wear. It’s not a matter of the drag link wearing out in this case.

If you search posts from 2023, there’s several threads in which Ram has replaced the welded drag links.

tacomak22

Reaction score
still waiting on an actual answer myself- @RamCares responded in a thread i made last week about this issue and directions were followed with a direct message but still radio silence lol. The part numbers for the drag link that is out there but i feel now that this issue is gaining traction- it will be shut down. - because it shouldnt take 3 weeks for a reply back via PM ... when your profile says your active every day haha