Drag link recall "How Ram Handles it"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topzide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Went in to have an"inspection" for the drag link replacement and that's not needed and have been ****** around! Here's what I sent Ram Cares earlier:

William,
If I calm down from the BS that I went through this morning! I've been run around on this issue! I got to the dealer this AM and was told that they needed DM notes to replace the Drag Link! The Ram Cares representative hung up on the service advisor 3 times! They said that they don't pay for another inspection which Ram Cares scheduled through the dealer and also said the case number had been closed! I told the ram Cares CM that I had already had an inspection done and was found loose and why would I need to have done again! They also informed the service advisor that a front end alignment wasn't paid for? How could that be if you're replacing a steering component? Was told that CM is unavailable! There needs to be someone to handle things when they're not available! When I called and asked for a supervisor, was told that it would take 1 business day for them to even get back to me. Then tried to call RAM for assistance, never talked to anyone, went right to survey after I gave the VIN! I'm going to post this in the public area for others to see how we are being treated! Someone needs to call me! My cell would be the best right now - ***-***-xxxx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now after contacting the Recall and Safety, They are saying that they'll pay for the drag link but not an alignment! How can you replace a component on the steering without an alignment? They say they no longer cover the alignment and that I must pay for it!!!! I didn't create this issue and they want me to pay for it! Better think twice before buying a new RAM! Don't seem to care that there is a huge safety issue and then expect us to pay for there issues!
Spread the word about this and other issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Had mine replaced through ramcares no issues. Not sure the full story here but given the tone of your response I'm guessing there is some animosity on both sides at this point so you might be best to contact @RamCares on here and have them set you up with another dealer.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Frankly, if you approached either Ram or the dealer like you approached this post, I probably wouldn't help you either. RamCares has been helping everyone get their drag links replaced and no one else seems to be complaining.... sounds like you went into this guns blazing and they all balked on you.

OP
OP
T

Topzide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It's not the dealer, this is how Ram Cares handle it when I arrived at the dealership. Have no issues with the dealership and they went above and beyond. Ram Cares hung up on them and me! That's the issue. Not what I would have excepted from them as it seemed like they were going to get it handled. The dealership has had many issues with what Ram Cares tell us versus what they're told. They were shocked when they said just part and oh well about the alignment, don't care if wheel is off centered or would wear tires! This is an issue that Ram created and should stand up and fix it the right way! Welding on the steering components is a big no no! Especially since the techs are certified welders. I know many welders and they were shocked with how they were trying to fix them! Just wanted to let people know how they treat our trucks and us!

Guns blazing didn't start until they hung up on us! If you were scheduled an appointment through Ram Cares, show up and Ram Cares tells dealer that they don't do or pay for re-inspections, then say if they cover part, they don't cover alignment, how would you feel and react?

Be careful of what Ram Cares tells you. They seem to not know what policy to follow.

I could have been NASTY with Ram Cares from the beginning, but wasn't. I could tell be service dept reaction since they been down this road and need DM notes for them to get paid. I've worked at dealerships and know how the warranty game is played! This is a major safety issue that could hurt/kill someone, including those who reply on here.

When you weld up the nuts on drag link, you change the strength they were designed for. Then you no longer have the ability to do a proper alignment even with there latest way to do it. They say you can adjust tie rods to center steering wheel but that changes the whole geometry and will affect tire wear and handling.

Posted what was sent to be transparent about things are being handled. Some may not agree, but backing down after being treated that way wouldn't help. You get treated the way you're treated. Ram screwed up the design and just needs to take care of the issue. Could care less about clicks, just want others to be cautious about the song being sung to them. Policy hasn't changed overnight as others had done within the previous month. The dealer was totally shocked by how they were treated when the called. Plus, why would the case be closed before the part was installed and fixed?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Idk, the first sentence the OP seems to admit being less than calm. There is usually two sides to every story with the truth in the middle.

Fwiw, my Ramcares experience was ok. Took a little longer than I would have liked but patience paid off. Everything went smooth at the dealer. Got the truck back with the steering wheel centered.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Wonder if a call to dot or whatever you guys call the commercial vehicle cops down there and tell them the dealer ships are welding steering components citing it as a permenant fix. Lol.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@RamCares has helped a whole lot of folks on this forum get their draglinks changed and front ends tightened up. If you approach anyone with an aggressive attitude their response is likely to want to get rid of the an ole on the other end of the line . These people are doing their jobs ,they do not deserve to be spoken down to or treated with out respect. I bet you weren’t very nice . You would be surprised how well people can treat you if you treat them well also. If the drag link fiasco was handled well in the first place none of this would be happening,however this is where things stand . I personally would not let a warranty dictate my life ,fix it and move on . It’s not worth the energy expelled letting this eat at you.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would highly recommend you edit your post and remove your phone number. Bot's scour the interweb's looking for numbers to add in to their databases.
Agree, never post your #. Even in the pre social media days giving your number out it would usually wind up on the bathroom stall wall with " For a good time call" above it.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They're going to replace the one on my truck and I just bought it. Once I tell them which dealer I want to use they're going to schedule it in and send the part to the dealership. No cost to me is what they've told me. If you've been told something different then there's something else you're not telling us. Nobody else has mentioned having these issues and we ALL have or have had the drag link issue at some point.

The welds were a temporary fix, not a permanent one.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They're going to replace the one on my truck and I just bought it. Once I tell them which dealer I want to use they're going to schedule it in and send the part to the dealership. No cost to me is what they've told me. If you've been told something different then there's something else you're not telling us. Nobody else has mentioned having these issues and we ALL have or have had the drag link issue at some point.

No , the welds ARE the permanent solution . You apparently don’t know the sequence of events regarding this recall.

1st recall ,check the nuts for play , if okay retorqued , and sent on your way . If sloppy, the drag link was replaced.

2nd recall was come in , and have it welded , that was the final recall on it . I wanted nothing to do with the welding . They were never allowed to weld mine . I went 9 years with 2014 3500 with OE drag link with no issues. When I saw going thru RamCares would get you a new upgraded drag link , why not , had it replaced last spring .

Until recently nothing more regarding the drag link . Now instructions , and labels are being sent , labels apparently saying DO NOT CUT OFF WELDS, and the instructions to do alignment without messing with the welded drag link . I did not get one of these notices , obviously for a couple reasons one mine was never welded , and replaced with the new upgrade. So , no they have no intentions of replacing that welded drag link , those trucks will go to the junk yard with that welded drag link .

Bottom line here , you do nothing about your welded drag link , the same will happen with Ram , they are NEVER going to replace that welded drag link thru a recall . They have not done it yet , and IMO the only thing you will hear is stated above on alignment . You want a new drag link , only way is YOU going thru RamCares .

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

One other thing , as said my drag link was never an issue . The problem was over cutting the threads on some of the adjustment sleeves . That was first recall, mine were fine ,no play in the threads , allowing the two locking nuts to loosen , resulting in the failure , and coming apart . As said mine was a good one , and many I’ve read have never done anything with them , just checked periodically as I did for 9 years .

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had the original BS fix of welding the drag link. Shops wouldn’t touch it for an alignment. Ramcares helped me out with my local dealer to get the updated drag link.

Replacing the drag link doesn’t effect the alignment, the steering wheel would just have to be recentered after install.

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No , the welds ARE the permanent solution . You apparently don’t know the sequence of events regarding this recall.

1st recall ,check the nuts for play , if okay retorqued , and sent on your way . If sloppy, the drag link was replaced.

2nd recall was come in , and have it welded , that was the final recall on it . I wanted nothing to do with the welding . They were never allowed to weld mine . I went 9 years with 2014 3500 with OE drag link with no issues. When I saw going thru RamCares would get you a new upgraded drag link , why not , had it replaced last spring .

Until recently nothing more regarding the drag link . Now instructions , and labels are being sent , labels apparently saying DO NOT CUT OFF WELDS, and the instructions to do alignment without messing with the welded drag link . I did not get one of these notices , obviously for a couple reasons one mine was never welded , and replaced with the new upgrade. So , no they have no intentions of replacing that welded drag link , those trucks will go to the junk yard with that welded drag link .

Bottom line here , you do nothing about your welded drag link , the same will happen with Ram , they are NEVER going to replace that welded drag link thru a recall . They have not done it yet , and IMO the only thing you will hear is stated above on alignment . You want a new drag link , only way is YOU going thru RamCares .
If there was no recall to replace the link after it was welded, explain why RAM shipped a new link to my nearest dealership and paid the dealership to install it, at no cost to me?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I absolutely do. This 2018 is my 2nd Ram to need this fix. I received a letter about 6 months ago on my previous '16 3500 to call Ram to schedule a service appointment to have the previously welded drag link replaced free of charge. I had already sold the truck, so I wasn't worried about it. I reached out to @RamCares prior to picking up the truck in my sig and was told that if it had the welded link to contact them and they'd set me up with the dealership to have it replaced.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If there was no recall to replace the link after it was welded, explain why RAM shipped a new link to my nearest dealership and paid the dealership to install it, at no cost to me?

Did you get a recall notice , or did you go thru RamCares ?? If yours was recalled to replace without any input from you , then I stand corrected. There has been many that can’t get it replaced even going thru RamCares . I’m really doubting there is a full recall replacing these drag links .

Explain WHY they sent out notices on how to do the alignment on these trucks with the welded nuts , stickers , and warning to not cut off the welds . One of two things , that means that it’s permanent, or eventually they are going to get around to recalling all of them .

I had the OE drag link on my 2014 for just over 9 years . I had two recalls in that time , one to inspect , one to weld , which didn’t happen . Never a recall to replace . I would still have the OE if I hadn’t contacted RamCares , got it replaced last spring .

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Can't explain why they do what they do or how they determine who gets what, but I did in fact receive a letter in the mail advising me to contact Ram to have my link replaced free of charge AFTER the weld was performed about 6-8 months prior.