Driveshaft orientation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the input. I’ll run reasonable until I get it changed. Lol

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Off hand thought:

This sounds a lot like what you would do with a race car

You need a scatter shield for the transmission & a drive shaft loop or 2 & more recently U-joint enclosures

It is a good thing that someone builds a driveshaft that holds up

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
What the hell are you talking about now??? The only thing you've said in your last 2 posts that actually makes any sense or has any revelance to this thread ,is the comment about a drive shaft loop. At one point in time i think Jay Greene's relative was building a loop that bolted to the transmission,but i don't know if that loop is still available.Putting a loop on the regular cab 2X4's with an aftermarket 5" shaft is easier said then done.You should maybe go find a 8speed regular cab shortbox and crawl underneath it,and look at what you're talking about Red

I'm talking to the guys who get nervous running their single cab short bed about their driveshaft. Just use common sense. The trucks will be fine.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm talking to the guys who get nervous running their single cab short bed about their driveshaft. Just use common sense. The trucks will be fine.

How many trucks does it take to lose their driveshafts, to put the driveshafts on world wide back order.There's been instances where stock trucks have lost the factory shaft at 75 mph Red.You really have no clue how common this issue is do you.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
From another forum:

There has been lots of problems with the 2WD 8 speed transmission driveshafts. They are coming a part at speeds as slow as 85MPH but most around 130MPH from years 2014 and up.

The R/T's are speed limited just like the other trucks. The driveshafts are coming apart in the center, where the 2 halves of the driveshaft meet. The driveshafts are 2 pieces that slide over each other & held in place by a spring tension to form a sort of 1 piece driveshaft. They are not failing due to bad pinion angle although that can contribute to any driveshaft failure. They are failing due to critical speed which is why driveshafts are failing on stock height & lowered trucks.

5,350 RPM seems to be the critical speed at which failure occurs.
5,350 RPMs is 110 MPH when you have the 3.92 differential

So keep your Ram R/T 8 speed, Standard Cab, short bed under 100 MPH, until you buy a driveshaft made of Aluminum or Carbon Fiber that can withstand the higher RPMs

Last edited:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
How many trucks does it take to lose their driveshafts, to put the driveshafts on world wide back order.There's been instances where stock trucks have lost the factory shaft at 75 mph Red.You really have no clue how common this issue is do you.

No but I invite those who have to speak up. I haven't seen anyone drop a driveshaft in the southwest. If it is such a scandal have those who had this issue taken it up with Stellantis/FCA?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No but I invite those who have to speak up. I haven't seen anyone drop a driveshaft in the southwest. If it is such a scandal have those who had this issue taken it up with Stellantis/FCA?

FCA isn't even blinking an eye if a truck off warrenty loses a shaft,theyre just replacing them. Bring it up,you mean just like the cam/lifter issues have been brought up,lol.You've been living under a rock if you haven't heard about this problem Red. It's common knowledge on all the facebook pages,and you must have missed the pictures in this thread alone showing a mangled driveshaft.You said you read the thread,well your reading comprehension leaves alot to be desired,if you missed the pic's

Milspec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 17 R/T, is this the driveshaft I should be mindful of to keep under 80.

ZFiGep.jpg
ZFifSb.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 17 R/T, is this the driveshaft I should be mindful of to keep under 80.

ZFiGep.jpg
ZFifSb.jpg
Stock shaft "yes" .The rubber bellows hide what FCA is trying to pawn off as a legit slip yoke.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
FCA isn't even blinking an eye if a truck off warrenty loses a shaft,theyre just replacing them. Bring it up,you mean just like the cam/lifter issues have been brought up,lol.You've been living under a rock if you haven't heard about this problem Red. It's common knowledge on all the facebook pages,and you must have missed the pictures in this thread alone showing a mangled driveshaft.You said you read the thread,well your reading comprehension leaves alot to be desired,if you missed the pic's

I realize facebook must be the standard for common sense/issues. It's just not a platform I care to use. I can't tell you the last time I've seen a single cab short bed around town either. Everyone has Crewcab. Again I'm not doubting you. I'm just not up in arms about it. I enjoy unplugging from most media outlets. But that's becoming beside the point and now I'm rambling. Cheers!

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Stock shaft "yes" .The rubber bellows hide what FCA is trying to pawn off as a legit slip yoke.

So where the rubber connection is, is where it will twist? Funny my driveshaft looks just like that one except mine slides into the carrier bearing and then into the second shaft before mating the transmission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So where the rubber connection is, is where it will twist? Funny my driveshaft looks just like that one except mine slides into the carrier bearing and then into the second shaft before mating the transmission.

You aren't getting it are you. Like i said go find a RCSB 8 speed and crawl underneath it and look at the shaft.The driveshaft bolts solidly to the rear ends pinion flange and also bolts solidly to the transmission,there is "NO" carrier bearing on the regular cab shortbox trucks,it's a single piece driveshaft that goes from the trannies output shaft,directly to the pinion flange.
You sure hop around,a few posts ago you were spouting off about not seeing a regular cab shortbox spit the driveshaft out in your area,now you're saying there are no regular cabs in your area.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
My bad wildone I find the responses amusing. I honestly get it but I can't help poking the bear a bit. The driveshaft has been known on those reg cabs since I've owned my truck new in 2015. It especially showed it's ugly face on lowered reg cabs trucks with the rear suspension being comprised (Primarily 8speed but 6speed wasn't ruled out. Some trucks confused it with death wobble. But again I drive a Crewcab. Why would I get so worked up about it? Another question would be why no more single cab trucks? Manufacturer pays extra tax on the shorter length frame? The driveshafts still an issue? One only has so much time for worry I guess.

The advise about driving a reg cab reasonable will keep the shaft alive still holds true. Reasonable is open to interpretation I realize but eh. If you drop the driveshaft doing 130mph on the freeway do you really want me to feel bad for you? I know people would feel bad for me. Tow truck and a call to Moe's will fix you right up. Keep it moving. :)

OP
OP
Josh22855

Josh22855

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When they say notch the crossmember, I advise to notch the crossmember.
I definitely made contact between the driveshaft and the crossmember, thank God it didn't dent the driveshaft. (5" aluminum driveshaft)

20210503_065118.jpg

20210503_114907.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My bad wildone I find the responses amusing. I honestly get it but I can't help poking the bear a bit. The driveshaft has been known on those reg cabs since I've owned my truck new in 2015. It especially showed it's ugly face on lowered reg cabs trucks with the rear suspension being comprised (Primarily 8speed but 6speed wasn't ruled out. Some trucks confused it with death wobble. But again I drive a Crewcab. Why would I get so worked up about it? Another question would be why no more single cab trucks? Manufacturer pays extra tax on the shorter length frame? The driveshafts still an issue? One only has so much time for worry I guess.

The advise about driving a reg cab reasonable will keep the shaft alive still holds true. Reasonable is open to interpretation I realize but eh. If you drop the driveshaft doing 130mph on the freeway do you really want me to feel bad for you? I know people would feel bad for me. Tow truck and a call to Moe's will fix you right up. Keep it moving. :)

Not sure where you get your info from,but the 6 speed trucks don't lose their driveshafts,and stone cold stock unlowered RCSB's with the 8 speed have blown the driveshafts out at 85mph,and there's been a couple cases where stock untuned 8 speed trucks have lost the shaft at 75 mph.BTW a stock untuned truck is not hitting 130mph,even if you pushed it off a mountain with a tailwind,lol. Admit it,you *****'d,and now you're back pedaling to beat hell,lol.You were probably better off doing some research like you've been forced to do in the last day,before you decided to add your 2 cents.At least you've learned something about the regular cab shortbox 8 speed trucks in the last 2 days,good show,as there's times you can't teach an old dog new tricks,but you appear to be teachable:waytogo::roflsquared:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Not sure where you get your info from,but the 6 speed trucks don't lose their driveshafts,and stone cold stock unlowered RCSB's with the 8 speed have blown the driveshafts out at 85mph,and there's been a couple cases where stock untuned 8 speed trucks have lost the shaft at 75 mph.BTW a stock untuned truck is not hitting 130mph,even if you pushed it off a mountain with a tailwind,lol. Admit it,you *****'d,and now you're back pedaling to beat hell,lol.You were probably better off doing some research like you've been forced to do in the last day,before you decided to add your 2 cents.At least you've learned something about the regular cab shortbox 8 speed trucks in the last 2 days,good show,as there's times you can't teach an old dog new tricks,but you appear to be teachable:waytogo::roflsquared:

I wish I could say you taught me something but there is always better luck tomorrow. :cheers:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

Common sense tells us stock trucks will run as fast as the OEM tires that are equipped.
If the tire rating is 106 the speed limiter is 106. If the truck has the speed limiter removed well then they'll hit 130.

Again I said many posts ago I agreed with you on the subject. It's just not Defcon 1 and the stress you're adding to such a delicate subject that everyone who owns this truck is now in danger. :D.

Again if you own a reg cab and drive it reasonable the truck will live. If you like to drive like Wildone get that Moes driveshaft asap.

I'll enjoy reading your next angry response about you teaching someone something and quoting facebook as the source. :anitoof::anitoof:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Common sense tells us stock trucks will run as fast as the OEM tires that are equipped.
If the tire rating is 106 the speed limiter is 106. If the truck has the speed limiter removed well then they'll hit 130.

Again I said many posts ago I agreed with you on the subject. It's just not Defcon 1 and the stress you're adding to such a delicate subject that everyone who owns this truck is now in danger. :D.

Again if you own a reg cab and drive it reasonable the truck will live. If you like to drive like Wildone get that Moes driveshaft asap.

I'll enjoy reading your next angry response about you teaching someone something and quoting facebook as the source. :anitoof::anitoof:

LMAO i don't get angry:favorites37:Kinda like teaching you about a driveshaft you had no clue about,:waytogo:. I hope from here on in,you do a little more research before posting,as this isn't the first time some of your comments have been a bit off base. Have a good evening there Red,and keep up on your research,you're getting smarter by the day,lol

Last edited:

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
When they say notch the crossmember, I advise to notch the crossmember...

Hey, are you on a 4" rear drop? And, if so, how much extra room does that notch give? :)