Dum-butt of the week award

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
...Goes to me for this week. We had A LOT of rain here just before Christmas, followed by a deep freeze overnight. Long story short, my truck is usually in the garage overnight, but I left it outside. Got up to single digit temps, got the garage cleared out, so I could move the truck inside and let it thaw. Started up no issue, had to tug on the door a bit because it was frozen shut.

My daughter came outside wanted to ask me a question, I tried to open the passenger window, which of course was frozen shut.

Once the truck thawed out, I found that the window had separated from the regulator inside the door when I tried to open it. So - It would not go all the way down, and when closing, it would try to go too high, and reverse.

Spent some time in You Tube, found a couple of videos that did a good job describing the process to remove the inside trim from the door, which it turns out is easy. Took it off, and found that the is a hole in the glass in the front and back, and a plastic clip that attached to the hole, the other end of the clip attaches to the rail that holds the window. Got the clip out, and verified that it was not broken (Lucky me).

I was able to reattach everything, and get it back together and working, so no harm done.

Lesson learned - Don't open the windows after a heavy rain and refreeze.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PolarisCobra

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No hording here, at least this time. My daughter stayed over with her kids, and was planning to leave in the morning. Didn't want to put the grandkids into a frozen car, so we put hers in the garage for the night.

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Happened to me as well. Now the window goes very slowly and about halfway it stops and goes back down. Any clue on how to fix it?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another thing to remember. If weather gonna be bad, wet and probable freeze, if U have Power Mirrors, do not fold them in that night/day. Cause if U do, and you hit button to unfold mirrors, it may be frozen folded and you could take the risk of breaking the plastic gears that works that function.

ADDED: I did that "once", got lucky, did not break gears or fry motors. Big guy upstairs was being kind, LOL.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Happened to me as well. Now the window goes very slowly and about halfway it stops and goes back down. Any clue on how to fix it?
Your issue is more likely drag from the window wipes. Take a fibre towel, spray silicone lube on it, use that to clean and wipe all the plastic/rubber and wipe edges that the window comes up through, with the window down. Once it is good and clean, spray some Silicone lube on them, window will go up and down slick as new.

TB - I turn off the auto fold mirrors on the Grand Cherokee for the winter. I was that car every 2 or 3 days to keep the salt off it. If you are out in the cold the mirrors, after auto folding when you park, have a bad habit of opening back up but not stopping at center, they rotate all the way to reverse fold. Unless you have someone to stop it at center with their hand, it will do that till you get it back in the garage and it thaws out. Breaking the plastic gears would be even worse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PolarisCobra

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Do a bit of searching on YouTube. There are a couple of videos that do a good job of showing the steps.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...Goes to me for this week. We had A LOT of rain here just before Christmas, followed by a deep freeze overnight. Long story short, my truck is usually in the garage overnight, but I left it outside. Got up to single digit temps, got the garage cleared out, so I could move the truck inside and let it thaw. Started up no issue, had to tug on the door a bit because it was frozen shut.

My daughter came outside wanted to ask me a question, I tried to open the passenger window, which of course was frozen shut.

Once the truck thawed out, I found that the window had separated from the regulator inside the door when I tried to open it. So - It would not go all the way down, and when closing, it would try to go too high, and reverse.

Spent some time in You Tube, found a couple of videos that did a good job describing the process to remove the inside trim from the door, which it turns out is easy. Took it off, and found that the is a hole in the glass in the front and back, and a plastic clip that attached to the hole, the other end of the clip attaches to the rail that holds the window. Got the clip out, and verified that it was not broken (Lucky me).

I was able to reattach everything, and get it back together and working, so no harm done.

PolarisCobra

You may have gotten the the award​

BUT​

I have the T-Shirt forthat stunt​

I am sure alot if us have done this.​

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Pretty gentle sin right there.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your issue is more likely drag from the window wipes. Take a fibre towel, spray silicone lube on it, use that to clean and wipe all the plastic/rubber and wipe edges that the window comes up through, with the window down. Once it is good and clean, spray some Silicone lube on them, window will go up and down slick as new.

TB - I turn off the auto fold mirrors on the Grand Cherokee for the winter. I was that car every 2 or 3 days to keep the salt off it. If you are out in the cold the mirrors, after auto folding when you park, have a bad habit of opening back up but not stopping at center, they rotate all the way to reverse fold. Unless you have someone to stop it at center with their hand, it will do that till you get it back in the garage and it thaws out. Breaking the plastic gears would be even worse.
BOIRD not got "auto" fold, just a button I push on Drivers side hand rest, lowly Bighorn, lol. I always watch the weather and see if it is going to get near freezing, to insure I have the mirrors out. I always fold them in because, Big A Z Z hossie let out late in afternoon and if she walks by close, gonna be a big Kersnap, lol.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How about dumb butt Lawn Mower Award. I almost earned it today. Short synopsis> Friggin Lawn Tractor (Craftsman 46" Poulan with twin 735 CC Kohler), when started, running like it has a 3/4 cam in it, surging up and down. SO, OK: Got seafoam put in, not help. Checked gas in can, gas OK. Pulled plugs, they were clean and burning good (2 cylinder Kohler). SO sitting there scratching tail feathers. Started again and this Mower has a Throttle/Choke Cable set up, where choke full fwd to you go to stop for Run fast. So I started, did not pull all the way to Fast run, and WTF, mower running OK.

OK, U Dumb A Z Z BOIRD, tells me throttle/choke cable has moved and I need to pull front mower engine cover and adjust, Dumb BOIRD I be, grrrrr. But bright spot: I did put some sea foam in to clean out and did put on a New Air Filter, and Fuel Filter, and cleaned plugs and threw them back in. Gotta go get some resister champions wheneva.,.

Dumb BOIRD I be. :mad:

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I got a recent one. Classic Clark Griswold. Wife mentioned wanting a motion activated light in the garage since the one on the opener won't come on until about 1/2 way across the garage. So ordered one and went to install it. Waved my hand and light came on. Told my wife to turn garage lights off so I could see how bright it was. Motion light goes out. Try it again. Wife turns garage lights off and motion light goes out. I adjust the timer so it stays on longer. tried again...same result. After the 4th time my wife gives up and goes upstairs. I start looking around and....I plugged it into my switched outlets for my overhead lights...lol.

Not over yet. So I move it to the side wall instead. Get it installed and get down off ladder and go to plug it in. Crap...cord is about 6" too short...ugh. So move it a 3rd time...lol. Works great now.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well I would be one of those guys with you. I did the same except was in a drive thru not even thinking about the window being froze. Hit the button and immediately cussed my self out. Lol. Bad thing was I didn’t realize it had separated until the next day while driving it decided to drop down about half way but the good thing was that I was only 2 minutes from my house. Pretty easy fix but not something you want to deal with when it’s -5 outside.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
turkeybird56 , don’t need mower for a few days yet, we had a d hard rain on top of this stuff, so 1 inch of ice on driveway, I have had the mirrors freeze on me if I wash it and forget and fold the mirrors

BIL bought a different truck with the wide trailer mirrors and wiped them off x2 in his small garage door .
He got pissed and traded it offimage.jpg

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Had the exact same problem on my 2014. After reattaching the plastic clip in the hole in the glass, I had several repeats of the same issue, and it seemed too sensitive to boot. I spoke to a tech. and he recommended that I replace the clips as they can loose their "set," as he put it. I did and had no problems afterwards.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 82657 miles