E-Torque or Not ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deepblue27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I am ready to order a 2021 Rebel. I'm having difficulty deciding whether to get the Hemi with or without the E-Torque assist. It's only a $200 cost. I have read about the benefits but worry about potential problems down the road, since the system is complex and has it's hooks into the engine, trany, electrical system and brakes. I usually keep vehicles a long time and don't want a system that might become problematic after a few years. I also plan to do some mods down the road and wondering if it might interfere with engine mods. Any input would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

brian42

Military
Reaction score
My dad has the eTorque on his 2020. Personally I like it, especially since I do a lot of city driving.

When I bought my '19 it was a $1200 option and decided to spend that money on other packages.

If it was $200 I would have gotten it.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
To much electronics without. Hell my 14 express has to much.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
More and more brands have something similar. It’s becoming standard. I’ve had it for two years and appreciate it. Most advantageous place for it to kick in is at the drive through. Silence when ordering a burg. LOL. If it’s an option on any new truck I buy/order then I’m adding it.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Two eTorques in the family - zero issues. Would certainly purchase again without hesitation.

Buffchief52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e torque.
Third Ram with hemi, first with etorque. 10,500 miles on my used 2020 Laramie. Zero issues. Would I pay extra for it, no. I don’t drive much city so it doesn’t do much for me, I get same mileage as my last 2 gen 4 Rams, no better. The start stop is amazing, fast and quiet , but is it something I would order? nah.... if you find a truck you really like and it has it, go for it. Can always turn the stop start off with push of a button, then it’s just an generator. Covered under factory warranty for 80,000 miles.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't argue with keeping it simple. I did't want it but like so many extra things that seemed silly when I purchased now have become handy. It looks cool.

islandpaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 etorque
I have a 2021 5.7 etorque Laramie, Level 2, with 2,000 miles on the clock. The engine surges and is jerky at low speeds on start-up, the up-shifting is rough and jerky, with an audible clunk on occasion. It has been like this from the outset. Dodge Ram Customer Care doesn't seem to want to discuss it or get back to me. My dealer says its our local gas. I'm running it on premium. Dodge Ram will refer you to this bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10176547-9999.pdf Is anyone else having these problems. I really wish I had gone with the conventional 5.7. I don't think Dodge Ram has got the bugs out of the etorque. I add that Engine Start/Stop is not an issue - with etorque the start up is via the electric motor so ESS is smooth and without the usual hesitation before the gas engine kicks in.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I don't think it's your eTorque that's the problem. Your truck is the 3rd year of eTorque so any issues should be ironed out and incorporated on the assembly line.

That STAR Case refers to cold start and idle WITH NO OTHER CONDITIONS. You obviously have other conditions.

Sounds like that dealership doesn't want to trouble shoot and risk not getting paid for all their time trying to fix your issue.

My recommendation is to find another dealership and take it there.

I had some rough shifting and kick-down, and a TCM software update fixed 90% of it.

Also, you might want to "reset" your throttle position sensor to see if that helps some of your issue. Here's how to do it:

1. Don't touch anything else until you finish this procedure.
2. Get in the truck and shut the driver's door.
3. Push the start button twice to RUN (do not start the truck!)
4. Slowly push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor then slowly release (should take you ~10 seconds give or take).
5. Push the start button once to OFF.
6. Open the driver's door to cancel any accessory delay and turn the truck completely off.

Now take it for a drive and see if that helps.

Another option is to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or so to reset everything. The truck "learns" how you drive and adjusts to your driving style. By resetting it and learning from scratch might help also. Just be aware that it could take some time for all of your features to work again as your truck has to basically "re-boot" itself. It could take a few key cycles or it could take a day or two.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a personal choice. If I was in a market for a 1500, I would be all over the etorque. But, my buddy just bought one, and a requirement was that it didn't have it.

It's really a personal choice and what you want and are comfortable with.

Good luck!