E Torque Reviews

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Good, so far. It took a while for me to get accustomed to starting to pull out into traffic from a stop, since I knew the engine wasn't running. I set the odometer to show tenths and I have sat at a traffic light long enough to see 0.2 disappear off my average mileage, so it is a good thing to have the engine stop and start again. I like it, now that I'm more used to it.

hodl

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
It seems like a good option for stop/go driving but the smaller gas tank could be a bummer for towing/hauling/freeway.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
It seems like a good option for stop/go driving but the smaller gas tank could be a bummer for towing/hauling/freeway.

Smaller tank? I've got the 33 gallon tank with E-torque.

I bought/ordered it at the "cheap" initial price a year ago. I'm fine with it. But, at current prices I'd have skipped it.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So far it has worked fine. If you drive a lot of city driving it might be worth it, but if it is mostly highway then I don't know if you would need it or help you in gas mileage vs the cost. It came on the truck I bought, don't know if I would have special ordered it though.

sierraangler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I also have the factory optional 33 gal fuel tank with the eTorque. Definitely its advantage is if you do a lot of stop and go driving. Otherwise you don't really need it.

I use the start/stop and it is almost unnoticeable compared to other cars I've driven. But when using the air conditioning it reduces the cooling at a stop when the motor is not running. The extra eTorque battery pack is integrated into the electrical system that power is available for use throughout the vehicle putting less demand on the regular battery. One would think that the eTorque motor is built up to last longer than a regular starter. Time will tell if you keep it that long. It definitely would be easier to change out since it sits right up front and on top of the motor instead of on the bottom and in the back. Only time will tell if it will last longer

Scottys19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
I purchased mine back in December and used to let the eTorque just do it's thing. I'm in Phoenix and now that it's hot out, every time I get in the truck, the first thing I do is over ride it so it stays running. Otherwise, the a/c shuts off and it smells horrible. Also, the a/c is less than impressive (may have a problem with it) so I'd rather keep it running constantly anyways. I do mostly highway driving and if I were to do it again, I'd probably take a pass on it.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
I've had mine just over a month now. I think I'll be glad to have it. It will restart if you sit too long and the cabin temp gets too high, or just turning the fan up will restart the engine for that stop. I have felt the regen braking kick in a few times, but it is fairly subtle. They did a pretty nice job integrating into the vehicle. I haven't towed with it yet, so not sure how well it really helps there.

JRI2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
E-torque came with the truck. I wouldn't even know I have it. Shifts are as smooth as 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Gen Rams I've owned, and I would never had ordered it, considering the price.
Start/Stop is another matter. I hate it. Goes against my instincts. I cannot imagine that shutting off the motor for a 30 second red light will save enough gas to offset the wear on the mechanicals. Also, shutting off of motor-driven accessories, AND oil and water pumps! I have no trouble shutting off Start/Stop every time I select Drive. Button is right there. However, if I can find an affordable bypass system, I'm on it pronto.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
E-torque came with the truck. I wouldn't even know I have it. Shifts are as smooth as 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Gen Rams I've owned, and I would never had ordered it, considering the price.
Start/Stop is another matter. I hate it. Goes against my instincts. I cannot imagine that shutting off the motor for a 30 second red light will save enough gas to offset the wear on the mechanicals. Also, shutting off of motor-driven accessories, AND oil and water pumps! I have no trouble shutting off Start/Stop every time I select Drive. Button is right there. However, if I can find an affordable bypass system, I'm on it pronto.
E-torque has nothing to do with shifting, so that's why you don't know you have it. It operates when you're in a forward gear and you're stopped with your foot on the brake. What "wear on mechanicals"? The engine is restarted by means of that electric device sitting atop the engine and with that heavy belt attached. The water/oil pumps aren't needed if the engine isn't running. If the climate controls are set in the cabin to be calling for heat/cooling, the e-torque is bypassed or the engine is restarted even though you're stopped. I'm an old guy, so it was very difficult for me to get to where I trust it to start and go when I want to enter traffic from a parking lot or some such place. But it has worked without so much as a hiccup. It does help the gas mileage and there's likely a lot to be said about it, but suffice it to say that if you drove around town and sat at a dozen lights, losing 0.1 mpg per light, E-torque will get your around the same circuit and lose nothing.

Gregory McKinley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
26k on mine right now. No problems. Another Old guy here, took some getting used to at first. Just part of another day now!!

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
In case anyone has run into an issue and hasn't got it addressed yet: I was on a trip before Thanksgiving and got a battery warning light. Pulled into a dealership and had the codes checked. The fault had cleared and there were two codes stored in the memory (POE31 and POE33), but neither had any obvious relation to the battery. Since it was working correctly by the time it was looked at, I got the codes written down and left. A few days later, got the same warning lamp. Went to the voltage screen on the vehicle info and saw the battery was down to 11.2V and dropping. Pulled into another dealership and had it checked. They found the POE31 code had repeated. They did some digging and found there was a software update required for the 48V/12V converter used on the E Torque motor/generator. So far, the fault hasn't repeated.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
In case anyone has run into an issue and hasn't got it addressed yet: I was on a trip before Thanksgiving and got a battery warning light. Pulled into a dealership and had the codes checked. The fault had cleared and there were two codes stored in the memory (POE31 and POE33), but neither had any obvious relation to the battery. Since it was working correctly by the time it was looked at, I got the codes written down and left. A few days later, got the same warning lamp. Went to the voltage screen on the vehicle info and saw the battery was down to 11.2V and dropping. Pulled into another dealership and had it checked. They found the POE31 code had repeated. They did some digging and found there was a software update required for the 48V/12V converter used on the E Torque motor/generator. So far, the fault hasn't repeated.

Well, it happened twice again the week before Christmas. What I noticed though was that it only occurred after using the remote start. My working theory is something in the remote start sequence isn’t right. Have an appointment to have it looked at later this week. We shall see.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m liking it. It’s a lot smoother than other vehicles I’ve been in with a similar feature. Almost unnoticeable once you get used to it. I’ve been in a Ford, Mini, BMW, and a Cadillac. All clunky compared to my Ram.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Further, have a look at this video. He walks through about 6 benefits to the eTorque. We typically think it only helps with fuel because of the start/go action and that’s all it does. But the big battery provides electrical torque through the shifting of the gears, plus powers a lot of the features in the cab that typically is powered by the regular battery. Plus other benefits.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
We love both of our 2020 family eTorques. After my experience with the previous generation of Ecodiesels, I'd take an eTorque over the latest generation Ecodiesel. The eTorque is a motor, battery, cables and software. The Ecodiesel has a nightmare legacy with the current generation engine unproven at this point...time will tell.

For the guys with the latest gen ED, I wish you all the best but for my family the eTorque twins have performed flawlessly for our family from day one...

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I opted out specifically due to the start/stop of the Dino motor. I freaking hate it.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well, it happened twice again the week before Christmas. What I noticed though was that it only occurred after using the remote start. My working theory is something in the remote start sequence isn’t right. Have an appointment to have it looked at later this week. We shall see.

The truck is at the dealership being gone through in fine detail. They are checking every pin in every connector to rule out a bad harness or connector. If they fail to find anything wrong, the battery pack will be replaced. That loaner vehicle just looks wrong in the garage.

Replacing the high voltage battery tomorrow. Hope it resolves the issue!

Last edited:

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Nothing like a Plymouth Reliant for a loaner! ;)

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Nothing like a Plymouth Reliant for a loaner! ;)

It's a Cherokee this time. When I bought my Dakota back in '02, the dealer had scratched the paint on it and had to keep it to touch it up. Sent me home in a Neon until it was done. That was painful!