Eco diesel engine died.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tangocash001

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 eco diesel
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Eco diesel is dead at 109 000 km. The engine died last week on the highway. Heard some knocking for about 30 seconds and tried to get off the highway than the low oil pressure light came on and it was done. Had it towed to a guy I know that works on a lot of diesel engines and also sells parts for Rams. Didn't take long to tell me the engine is done. Looking at 18 000 to drop a new engine in. I don't want to put a cheaper used Eco diesel engine in because my faith in these engines is not great and a used engine wouldn't have much of a warranty. The mechanic told me I should have bought the Hemi. Said Eco engines have too many problems and he's seen this plenty of times before. Never has a vehicle die at a little over 100 000km and I was religious with maintenance and never towed with it. So frustrated.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel is dead at 109 000 km. The engine died last week on the highway. Heard some knocking for about 30 seconds and tried to get off the highway than the low oil pressure light came on and it was done. Had it towed to a guy I know that works on a lot of diesel engines and also sells parts for Rams. Didn't take long to tell me the engine is done. Looking at 18 000 to drop a new engine in. I don't want to put a cheaper used Eco diesel engine in because my faith in these engines is not great and a used engine wouldn't have much of a warranty. The mechanic told me I should have bought the Hemi. Said Eco engines have too many problems and he's seen this plenty of times before. Never has a vehicle die at a little over 100 000km and I was religious with maintenance and never towed with it. So frustrated.
Sorry this happened!
Not sure of your budget or wishes for next steps; if you own it outright or still paying the bloodsucking bank for it - insurance claim???
Sucks; it's only an 18' with a little over 100,000km's on in.

I'm in the Ancaster/Hamilton area. If you decide you'd like to consider dropping in a HEMI or replacing the ECO Diesel, lots to do, yes, but I have a few close contacts in the automotive industry that may be able to assist. But I'm sure it could be done.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Sorry for your trouble. "Rotating Mass Failure"... familiar refrain for the yucko-diesel.

OP
OP
T

tangocash001

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 eco diesel
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Thanks. Found a guy in Guelph that sells and installs Ram engines. New engine with 3 year 160 000 km warranty. I also had an extended warranty but that's only good for 4000 and I paid 4000 for it. ( extended warranties are pretty much useless - rarely pay out) still owe $ 20 000 on the truck. Just a bad situation. Just paid 1200 to fix the delaminating screen on radio/nav. Probably my last Ram.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Maybe Chrysler will help out with some “good will” . Doesn’t any do rebuilds anymore ? Should be cheaper than dropping in a new engine.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@RamCares

Any help for the OP for a known engine quality failure @109,000 km?

Some of these legacy design failures should be helped if the company doesn't want to lose customers for the new trucks coming out.

Thanks.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The above is the exact reason why: In 2018, I traded in my ED with 10,000 miles on Odometer for the Hemi. Just did not want to throw the dice, especially on my Gen 2 Motor.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The above is the exact reason why: In 2018, I traded in my ED with 10,000 miles on Odometer for the Hemi. Just did not want to throw the dice, especially on my Gen 2 Motor.
Boird, was yours a Gen 3 ecodiesel?

Supposedly the initial design flaws were corrected?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Oops, sorry just saw Gen 2, sigh

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Boird, was yours a Gen 3 ecodiesel?

Supposedly the initial design flaws were corrected?
Gen 2, 2015 truck with the alleged EGR issues, bad mains, etc etc. NOW, I had no issues with mine, but it still had the friggin lag. I just did not want to roll the dice. Further, I was at a friend's funeral. When pulling out of the lot, the ED did it's usual lag/stutter, especially after the flash for the alleged CARB compliant, BS, almost got me hit. It was gone in a week and I had a Hemi.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Gen 2, 2015 truck with the alleged EGR issues, bad mains, etc etc. NOW, I had no issues with mine, but it still had the friggin lag. I just did not want to roll the dice. Further, I was at a friend's funeral. When pulling out of the lot, the ED did it's usual lag/stutter, especially after the flash for the alleged CARB compliant, BS, almost got me hit. It was gone in a week and I had a Hemi.

Yepper - Fiat sure knows how to source / design a diesel for USA markets!

Didn't we kick them out of the country once? Not only are they back, they brought another euro-friend to make it all better - Peugeot. They prey on the US car company carcasses after the vulture executives wreck em. What a country.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Remember the Yuckodiesel began as a GM specified design.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Remember the Yuckodiesel began as a GM specified design.

I thought Isuzu was GM's exclusive partner? Their new 3.0L Durmax LZ0 looks pretty awesome to me.

But like you guys are saying, just bombing around town with it for building store loads is asking for trouble in the exhaust emissions bamboozle system. Otherwise I'd seriously consider one.

The only other GM engine I'd consider is the 6.2L proven engine. I've read the new 6.6L is a gas-sucking dog. And, of course, the infamous 5.3L underpowered oil-pumper is the reason I left GM in the first place.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The Yuckodiesel grew from a GM project for an auto diesel in Europe. When the economy went sour they pulled the plug, and left VM holding the bag. It was a pretty mature project when Chrysler adopted it, so it saved them a lot of development dollars. Unfortunately, it had the usual GM flaws baked in, i.e. cost and weight targets that end up with a hero/zero diesel proposition.

The 3.0 Duramax has great performance and MPG, but they are already on the second generation. I know several folks who went through buybacks due to continual issues. Also, it has a belt driven oil pump at the back of the engine, requiring dropping trans to access. No thanks.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It may help reduce confusion if we use the actual name of the engines.
3.0 EcoDiesel gen 1,2 = GM + FCA design originally designed for cars/cadillac
3.0 EcoDiesel gen 3 = FCA
3.0 Duramax = GM

The 3.0 duramax is an amazing engine. It doesn't have widespread issues, certainly not nearly as high as anything from EcoDiesel or even the hemi and the gm n/a gassers.

The "drop the transmission" is overblown. You'll do that maybe once in the lifetime of the engine, and if you do it twice you're getting a lot of miles on that engine anyway so lets not complain at that point. It's scheduled maintenance, shops will probably get good/fast/cheap at it.

Many engines have "flaws" like this. The hemi will blow manifolds and has its share of lifter/cam issues. You basically have to pick your poison.

The 3.0 duramax should be at the top of anyone's list if you want a refined, quiet, smooth, efficient, and torquey engine for daily driving and/or towing. It's not a racer, it will lose a little steam on the highway for passing compared to the 6.2 and probably the 5.7 too although that's probably a closer match.

It's not a cummins or a big duramax, it doesn't suffer from the same daily driving issues as the bigger diesels do. It has been designed from day 1 to be daily driving with emissions equipment installed.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
It's not a cummins or a big duramax, it doesn't suffer from the same daily driving issues as the bigger diesels do. It has been designed from day 1 to be daily driving with emissions equipment installed.

But it does have those issues. A close friend had repeat codes/issues, injectors replaced, etc at low miles. Two others I have spoken to directly, one of them just two days ago, have had huge downtime/ out-of-service for running issues. He is getting to the end of GM buyback, and the other is trying to work it out via the dealer, instead of the corporate battle. They do run strong and get superb MPG, otherwise.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The Yuckodiesel grew from a GM project for an auto diesel in Europe. When the economy went sour they pulled the plug, and left VM holding the bag. It was a pretty mature project when Chrysler adopted it, so it saved them a lot of development dollars. Unfortunately, it had the usual GM flaws baked in, i.e. cost and weight targets that end up with a hero/zero diesel proposition.

The 3.0 Duramax has great performance and MPG, but they are already on the second generation. I know several folks who went through buybacks due to continual issues. Also, it has a belt driven oil pump at the back of the engine, requiring dropping trans to access. No thanks.

Being a VM Italian engine, I pretty much knew a Fiat-sourced EcoDiesel would be a disaster for US markets. It was. What a shame first Daimler-Benz bought Chrysler and drained them, just as they were getting back on their feet the Great Recession hit, bankrupting them, and of all possible buyers, horrid quality Fiat took them.

I was at Cummins at the time, and they'd developed the V8 5.0L diesel to go into 1500 Ram. Fiat tore up that contract, leaving Cummins holding the bag and finding a disastrous partnership with Nissan. Fiat wasn't dumb enough to tear up the existing Cummins contract with the 6.7L diesel.

Yep, I read about the 1st gen Duramax 3.0 issues, supposedly fixed on Gen 2? Anyway, all that exhaust crap has pretty much nixed diesels for me. I still run my Yanmar 1.1L tractor engine, EPA Tier II. All it has is an in line injection pump. It's noisy, but powerful and fuel efficient. Nothing earplugs can't handle.