Eco diesel engine died.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Being a VM Italian engine, I pretty much knew a Fiat-sourced EcoDiesel would be a disaster for US markets. It was. What a shame first Daimler-Benz bought Chrysler and drained them, just as they were getting back on their feet the Great Recession hit, bankrupting them, and of all possible buyers, horrid quality Fiat took them.

I was at Cummins at the time, and they'd developed the V8 5.0L diesel to go into 1500 Ram. Fiat tore up that contract, leaving Cummins holding the bag and finding a disastrous partnership with Nissan. Fiat wasn't dumb enough to tear up the existing Cummins contract with the 6.7L diesel.

Yep, I read about the 1st gen Duramax 3.0 issues, supposedly fixed on Gen 2? Anyway, all that exhaust crap has pretty much nixed diesels for me. I still run my Yanmar 1.1L tractor engine, EPA Tier II. All it has is an in line injection pump. It's noisy, but powerful and fuel efficient. Nothing earplugs can't handle.
The 5.0 Cummins was not much better, plus it would have hurt the payload and MPG pretty badly in the already payload deficient 1500.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
But it does have those issues. A close friend had repeat codes/issues, injectors replaced, etc at low miles. Two others I have spoken to directly, one of them just two days ago, have had huge downtime/ out-of-service for running issues. He is getting to the end of GM buyback, and the other is trying to work it out via the dealer, instead of the corporate battle. They do run strong and get superb MPG, otherwise.

What I'm trying to say: there is a difference between isolated incidents, and "issues". The hemi has lifter issues. The GM 3.0, so far I don't think there are high incident rates to be called "issues".

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The 5.0 Cummins was not much better, plus it would have hurt the payload and MPG pretty badly in the already payload deficient 1500.
Pretty sure that's why it went into the *not quite* "heavy duty" XD instead of the regular half-ton Nissan Titan.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It may help reduce confusion if we use the actual name of the engines.
3.0 EcoDiesel gen 1,2 = GM + FCA design originally designed for cars/cadillac
3.0 EcoDiesel gen 3 = FCA
3.0 Duramax = GM

The 3.0 duramax is an amazing engine. It doesn't have widespread issues, certainly not nearly as high as anything from EcoDiesel or even the hemi and the gm n/a gassers.

The "drop the transmission" is overblown. You'll do that maybe once in the lifetime of the engine, and if you do it twice you're getting a lot of miles on that engine anyway so lets not complain at that point. It's scheduled maintenance, shops will probably get good/fast/cheap at it.

Many engines have "flaws" like this. The hemi will blow manifolds and has its share of lifter/cam issues. You basically have to pick your poison.

The 3.0 duramax should be at the top of anyone's list if you want a refined, quiet, smooth, efficient, and torquey engine for daily driving and/or towing. It's not a racer, it will lose a little steam on the highway for passing compared to the 6.2 and probably the 5.7 too although that's probably a closer match.

It's not a cummins or a big duramax, it doesn't suffer from the same daily driving issues as the bigger diesels do. It has been designed from day 1 to be daily driving with emissions equipment installed.
I would be hard pressed to believe the DPF exhaust filter will survive daily short trips on the 3.0 duramax.
When driven properly, I’m sure it’s a great set up.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Agree. I was astonished Cummins went to a V block, I thought they'd use the ISB 4.5, similar to an Isuzu cabover truck diesel.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If they applied Nissan with the 4.5 ISB, there would be a Nissan in my driveway!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
@RamCares

Any help for the OP for a known engine quality failure @109,000 km?

Some of these legacy design failures should be helped if the company doesn't want to lose customers for the new trucks coming out.

Thanks.
Hey thanks so much for tagging us in this! OP is located in Toronto and unfortunately outside of what we can assist with as we can only assist our customers located in the US. However, we'd recommend reaching out Ram Customer Care in Canada. They can be reached via direct messaging on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/ramtruckscanada or by phone here: 1-800-465-2001

Callie
Ram Cares

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Agree. I was astonished Cummins went to a V block, I thought they'd use the ISB 4.5, similar to an Isuzu cabover truck diesel.
It wish Dodge/Ram had put the Cummins 4BTA or similar in the Dakota pickups as I know a lot of guys who would have purchased midsize pick up truck with that engine.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yup. Me, too!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
And, then there's this -

We are aware that EPA is cracking down in deleters and tuners. Besides, it's really all they have left to do in the 1st place. Guaranteed money-maker. Notice the "go-to-jail" part.

OP
OP
T

tangocash001

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 eco diesel
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
OP here,

New engine is being put in this week. The mechanic has done a lot of them and said they are bad engines and suggested driving it until the warranty runs out on the new engine and then dumping it. New engine is 3 years or 160km through Chrysler. My cost is 13500 for the engine plus 2-3k install. Canadian dollars. 3rd party warranty covers 4k. Even the warranty company said they have done lots of claims on Eco diesels dying just past Ram warranty. UGH

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Sorry to hear your Eco problem. I'm on my second, a 2020 with all the updates from the older version. I had a 2016 that had 120,000 miles on it when I traded for the 2020 and the only issue I ever had was a leaking EGR cooler which
when I purchased it used at 30,000 miles it was probably leaking. Other than that, I've never had any other issues with it. Maybe I'm just extremely lucky. Good luck with whatever you decide.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Boird, was yours a Gen 3 ecodiesel?

Supposedly the initial design flaws were corrected?
Gen 2, the 3's did not come out till 2018 ish.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
the 3's did not come out till 2018 ish.
Gen3 EcoDiesel motors started with the 2020 model.year in the Gen5 DT body Ram trucks and Jeeps (Wrangler/Gladiator).

OP
OP
T

tangocash001

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 eco diesel
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
I'm in Kitchener. Who's your Ram guy in Guelph?
I sent you a DM , but for anyone else in that area, it's Goatshop Inc. The Mechanic is Luke and he sells parts as well and is a specialized Ram guy. He knows his Rams.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
It wish Dodge/Ram had put the Cummins 4BTA or similar in the Dakota pickups as I know a lot of guys who would have purchased midsize pick up truck with that engine.
Cummins ISB170 is the common rail version of the 4BT and made an amazing truck out of my 08 Dakota. https://youtu.be/9RXqC9_Qgy8
and now the ISB170 in my 2014 RAM 1500 is a very nice and reliable alternative to the ED.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock