Eco diesel just blew up at 48k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dubbsy01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 eco diesel
So on my way to work yesterday in my 2016 ram 1500 rd. I got off the highway exit , come to a stop and motor begins making an awful noise . I turn left and noise is just bang bang banging away . Pull over shut the truck off wait a few seconds and turn it back on and the banging in even worse. Have triple AAA tow it to the dealer and they discover the motor is blown. They run my vin number and sorry it’s not covered because you have no warrantee because truck was originally sold in Canada! Quote for new motor $11k !!! I’m so screwed!

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My condolences and it blows chunks that the warranty doesn't cover it due to the original country of purchase :(.
It seems like manufacturers these days don't want the consumer to have a warranty claim due to so many variable factors they throw into the fine print.
With this you unfortunately end up with an expensive paperweight or a piece of nonfunctioning lawn art

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did you know this was a Canadian truck when you bought it? If so did the dealer make it clear that there was no warranty?
This is not the first case I have seen about a Canadian truck being sold in the US and the warranty was denied.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have a diagnosis on the cause? As in was it a defect or environmental? Low oil, bad fuel, water ingested etc.

Depending on the cause sometimes insurance covers it. I’ve read multiple cases where insurance covered bad fuel damage, and a friend of mine killed a diesel from water ingestion. His insurance paid for a new engine.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
As stated, the country of origin thing has been around for a while. What sucks is the Ecodiesels have a deserved reputation as a grenade engine(rotating mass failure), and FCA should step up to the plate instead of telling owners to jam it.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
They run my vin number and sorry it’s not covered because you have no warrantee because truck was originally sold in Canada!

Potentially stupid question, but would it have a warranty if it was a Canadian dealership, and what's it cost to trailer one to the nearest?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is the engine toast or is it repairable, as in, did it blow a rod through the block (toast) or did the timing chain go and caused a few bent valves (repairable??)? Have you looked into a rebuilt engine?

Last edited:

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This might not be an option if it were me I'd at least consider it.

Ask the dealership to let you trade in the truck. Their cost to fix the motor will be less than 11k. They may not give it to you but ask what their true cost is to fix the motor then have that adjusted off from the trade in value of the truck.

It may not end up being a great deal but you wouldn't have to fork over $11,000 dollars and still have a used truck.

OP
OP
Dubbsy01

Dubbsy01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 eco diesel
To answer the questions raised so far. Called Canadian dealership and no coverage there either. Engine cam shaft cracked totaled engine. And I have zero mechanical skills so... $11,7775.81 is total cost for dealer replacement. New motor will be covered for 3 years 100k miles. Still fighting the shady dealership that sold me the truck tho.

OP
OP
Dubbsy01

Dubbsy01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 eco diesel
Just saw the other comment on possible trade deal. They had me 19k upside down on the truck so trade was not an option. I paid $36k less than 1 year ago for my ram with 26k miles on it . My payoff is 32,600k . They offered me 14 with blown motor.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
To answer the questions raised so far. Called Canadian dealership and no coverage there either. Engine cam shaft cracked totaled engine. And I have zero mechanical skills so... $11,7775.81 is total cost for dealer replacement. New motor will be covered for 3 years 100k miles. Still fighting the shady dealership that sold me the truck tho.
What was the reason given by the Canadian dealership? I have been a Chrysler Tech for over 20 years. If you have questions or need guidance for anything don't hesitate to ask.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
If you end up having to pay out of pocket, at least check out an independent diesel shop. You may be able to save a bunch.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I would go to a local general auto repair shop that has a good reputation and see what they could do.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good advice from others. If I am not mistaken, there are some known issues with the original ecodiesel. You might look into FCA good will to help defray the cost of replacement. The dealer and Ramcares might be able to help. If you end up replacing on your dime, I would see if it is possible to replace with the new updated version. Also, you are not the first to be screwed by buying a Canadian truck. Sorry to hear you are going through this.

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a 2018 1500 Limited a couple days ago, and realized it was a Canadian truck when I saw the window sticker and the fuel rating said 14L/100km... I had no idea until I sat down with the financing dude and he just casually mentioned to make sure I was aware that this truck was being sold with no warranty (Only has 21k miles, so it's both under 3 years and 36k)... I said that had to be a mistake, so they made some calls and came back and told me the same, that Canadian warranties aren't honored here in the states. Luckily, I found this out BEFORE signing and walking out the door, so they gave me their bumper to bumper warranty at cost, so I have warranty coverage for the next 4 years/50k...

I woulda potentially been in this same world of hurt had he not just nonchalantly mentioned it as I was closing the deal!

Bummer to hear man, hope you figure out a way to soften the blow!

Last edited:

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I would imagine that this would need to be more than just a mention. There should be a piece of paper stating this lack of warranty that would require your signature.

Op was this a ram dealer? Ask them to prove that they made it clear to you what it meant to buy a Canadian truck. Not just he said she said

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank