Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Ecodiesel Issues

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Eco Diesels' started by Crescent1101, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Crescent1101

Crescent1101 Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L ECODIESEL
    So I my truck broke down the other day so I had it towed to the dealer. Went into limp mode so I turned it off and it didn't start. It has been sitting at the dealer for two weeks and they just now started to look at it. So they finally got to me saying they can't figure out whats wrong with it. They asked if it was tuned and I said yes. I told them not to return it to stock and I will come do it for them so they can reflash it and I don't get locked out. They did it anyway and now they said my no start issue is my PCM. Worse news is they don't know when the PCM is going to be back in stock.

Started to wonder if my tune was what caused my issue with the PCM. I've only had the truck tuned for 3-4 weeks. I have the DPF and SCR delete with a ECU and transmission tune. Sorry if this post seems like a cluster. Also they told me the PCM was $2k

2. Richmond2000

Richmond2000 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I would reach out to the tuner and "read them in" as MOST dealers BLAME the tuner and "insist" you return the truck to FACTORY stock then they will continue at that state

can you "undelete" the truck or are your parts "punched"

I would personally have the truck TOWED to the tuner / deleter and have them undelete it and only then try repairing it at the dealer
    OR better yet find a local diesel truck shop and have them LOOK at it

green diesel engineering also sells / used to sell "tuned" ecm's on an exchange case - assuming the "PCM" is the engine control module

3. Hammer757

Hammer757 Junior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I have a 2016 Jeep GC with the Eco diesel. I have put in two PCMs and still have problems even starting it. They have ordered some more parts, but I'm being told a lot of the diesel parts are on back-order. Was told they changed how they grounded on the PCM and it is causing a lot of issues. At this point I just it to work long enough to go trade it in.

4. Crescent1101

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L ECODIESEL
    Well today they said it was the whole fuel system. Quoted me 8k to fix. No way I can afford this right now. I honestly don't know what to do.

5. Crescent1101

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L ECODIESEL
    Just read the warranty from FCA and says my Fuel system is covered. Problem is my truck is at the dealer right now with it deleted.

6. mtnrider

mtnrider Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins
    You basically have no warranty at this point because you deleted though. I'm sure they have a record of it now as well so not going back. That's the down side of deleting and what has kept me from doing it on my cummins.

Do you know what codes it threw when it went into limp mode? A lot of times they are emissions related but since you are deleted that might well point to an issue with the tune?
    What are they saying is wrong with the fuel system?

Wish you luck

7. Crescent1101

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L ECODIESEL
    They are saying that it just needs replaced. I'm hoping its not reported as being deleted. I'm going to get it from the dealer tomorrow and call to see about my warranty. Going to try to find someone who has DPF that I can borrow. Anybody know of a good place besides dodge to take it?

8. Shawn226

Shawn226 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L EcoDiesel
    so the major downfalls with this that I foresee being issues for you are that;

1) they already know it’s deleted and I’d be willing to bet they have noted it in the system and flagged your vin. I hope for you that they let it slide, but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that.

2) borrowing a dpf filter is kinda hindsight now, that would’ve been my first priority before getting it to the dealership.

3) i would definitely get a second opinion on a private party diesel mechanic on fixing it if your warranty is shot. You might have better luck and it might be cheaper.

This is absolutely all speculation on my part so don’t take it with any weight. Hope things work out for you, however I would definitely call the company you got your tune from, see if they have any explanation or experience with this happening to other customers

9. Hammer757

Hammer757 Junior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Did you get the recall work done on the diesel? It extends your warranty coverage and they send you a check for a little of $3k. Granted I'm not sure how your delete will play into the warranty.

10. Shawn226

Shawn226 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L EcoDiesel
    He already got the check and used that to do the deed if I recall correctly from previous posts