Electrical problems: headlights, turn signals, fuel gauge, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trafficjams4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks ahead of time for the input. I'm at my wits end.

Problem happened while driving down the road. The truck shut off and I was just coasting. I tested the fuel system and it wasn't pumping so I replaced the fuel pump. Truck started right up. Went to drive it around the block and noticed that the turn signals wasn't working, so I took it home and this is all the things I found wrong.

The headlights come on automatically, but I dont have automatic lights. The fuel gauge, turn signals, brake lights, cargo lights and cruise control dont work. that is all I can think of that doesn't work right now without getting a bigger headache.

My mechanic has a dodge of the same year so he swapped the light switch and turn signal switch with his, didn't fix it. unplugged the main harness that goes to the rear end. didn't fix it. unplugged dash cluster, didn't fix it. Bought and installed new TIPM and ECM, didn't fix it. Now my mechanic is unplugging every harness he can find and uninstalling all after market items and testing that.

He has had my truck for 2 months, we are both going nuts. Thanks

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I also suspect it's the body control or front control module.

OP
OP
T

Trafficjams4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
He did mention that he was looking to test the body control module but I'm not sure of his results. I will look those modules up and ask him on Monday. Thanks

By the way I forgot to mention that this truck is a 2007 Ram1500 4x4 Hemi 5.7L.

OP
OP
T

Trafficjams4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Update:

The truck is finally fixed. It has taken around 5 months (I did ask the mechanic to take his time so the labor hours wouldn't rack up). He was having such a hard time finding the problem he started unplugging every connection he could find one by one to se it would make a difference in anything. He said that he thought it was somewhere in the dash but he couldn't find it. He asked me if he could try something to be sure it was the dash(remo e the entire dash assembly and put his out of his mega cab in mine). If that would show a difference then we would go to the salvage Yard and buy another dash. While he was taking my dash out he was removing a hard to reach screw and it felt strange coming out so when he looked a it there was melted plastic on it, someone at the factory put a long screw where a short one belonged and it went into a wiring harness. it took this long for it to work its way through the insulation and short 2 wires to the dash cluster. He fixed the wires and installed salvaged dash cluster and I'm back on the road. A 10 cent screw caused a 5 month headache. I was about ready to trade it in. Thanks again for all the input.

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quadcab Ram 1500 SLT Sport 4x4 3.92 gears
Engine
Wow, wow what a PIA. glad its fixed. Thanks for letting us know.