embarrassing and annoying suspension noise when hitting any bump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Be-Still-My-Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turning or going over little bumps or big bumps my truck makes a horrible noise which can be heard blocks away. I've replaced all the upper and lower ball joints and the noise is still there. The lower ball joint is defective so I have to replace it again, but I cant believe that is making all the noise. I've heard sway bars, and sway bar bushings, can you get by with just the bushings? Or does it come in a kit?

what brand should I buy if I replace the sway bar busings and the end links?

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Is it only when hitting bumps?

I had a terrible noise every time I hit a bump that ended up being the upper shock tube hitting the lower shock tube

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
It could be either sway bar bushings or the links. Grab the sway bar and try to move it up and down near each bushing and near each end near the links as well. Could also be an inner or outer tie rod as well

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Mine did that after leveling keys with the stock shocks being maxed.

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One way you can eliminate parts is to get some white lithium grease in the aerosol can. Bounce the truck and then start spraying bushings.... The grease will lubricate watever is squeaking once you find it. But do one at a time so you can eliminate as you go.

Sent from my VS920 4G

OP
OP
B

Be-Still-My-Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One way you can eliminate parts is to get some white lithium grease in the aerosol can. Bounce the truck and then start spraying bushings.... The grease will lubricate watever is squeaking once you find it. But do one at a time so you can eliminate as you go.

Sent from my VS920 4G

Will have to give that a try. Used wd40 but it's sill making the noise.

OP
OP
B

Be-Still-My-Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It could be either sway bar bushings or the links. Grab the sway bar and try to move it up and down near each bushing and near each end near the links as well. Could also be an inner or outer tie rod as well

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, will give it a shot tomorrow. Hoping it isn't the tie rod. Truck has 170,000 miles on it. Runs great, just making this horrible noise.

OP
OP
B

Be-Still-My-Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I had a terrible noise every time I hit a bump that ended up being the upper shock tube hitting the lower shock tube

Pretty much. If the road isn't 100% smooth it makes that horrible noise.

OP
OP
B

Be-Still-My-Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Pretty much, if the road isn't 100% smooth it will make that noise.

OP
OP
B

Be-Still-My-Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless the road is 100% smooth it will make that horrible noise.

sorry for the duplication

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check to see if the spare tire is loose and hitting the exhaust. I had that happen to me. Now she's fine.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8

Sent from my VS920 4G

I have heard bad things about this method ... The lithium grease attracts a lot of dirt and in turn will put the dirty into the joint and wearing out the parts even faster than with just the bare metal. What I have done is get a can of silicone lubricant in the aerosol cans and the drenching all the suspension parts unroll the can is gone, it works perfectly and no noise except when its a really bad bump, but it isn't even loud. I live on one of the worst bumpy roads because the city won't repave it and I can't get home without squeaking up a storm. The silicone works great and it doesn't attract the dirt as much as the lithium grease

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca