Engine chatter upon startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a good explanation, but I still can't figure out why just moving he truck and stopping it causes the issue. But actually driving it for a few minutes then stopping it does not.

If the lifters bleed down, it shouldn't matter how long or short you drive it... The next startup should be "loud" no matter what.

I do hear some faint lifter ticking on a lot of startups but it's no worse than my old frontier that has 100k miles and still going and made the same noise on every startup. Noise level for that is not even close to the loud chatter you'll get of you don't run the truck up to speed before shutting it down.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
but I still can't figure out why just moving he truck and stopping it causes the issue. But actually driving it for a few minutes then stopping it does not.

If the lifters bleed down, it shouldn't matter how long or short you drive it... The next startup should be "loud" no matter what.

It may have to do with getting it to full operating temp so the oil becomes thicker. At a lower temp the 5w-20 oil is pretty thin and would drain easier.

Last edited:

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This is my truck after startup. I’m not sure if that’s lifter or manifold bolts but it doesn’t sound great. Anyone else’ sound like this?

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel

This is my truck after startup. I’m not sure if that’s lifter or manifold bolts but it doesn’t sound great. Anyone else’ sound like this?

I had a sound like that after my truck sat for two months. It persisted for a while too. Then I had it happen again after it sat for about 5 days.

I think it's my exhaust manifolds but I'm not totally sure. Itll be a few days before I start mine again so I'll be sure to record that and see what happens.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
take this fwiw....just one truck. a quick history:
purchased my 14 with 67k miles. dealer oil up to this point. had the infamous start up tic. not really bad, but there none the less. after 3k miles, i switched to redline 5w30 with rp 20-820 filter. tick went away immediately. after about 1400 miles the engine quieted down considerably. before and after videos are night and day. a couple weeks ago i went on vacation. truck sat for 9.5 days. first cold start had absolutely no tick.

like i said....just one example not displaying like others mentioned above.

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need to bring it to the dealer but I work 6 days a week and they are useless so far unless I leave the truck and/or pay a bunch of money to have them diagnose whatever the problem is or tell me it’s normal again

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's mine at about 2,900 miles, factory oil and filter.

After the oil change a few days later.

Doodoo972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, maybe it is not your oil filter but it really sounds like your engine is lacking of oil at start up. It seems that the oil take a couple of second to travel around the whole engine. Did you try to turn the key one or two times without starting the engine to prime the oil pump before the start up?

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, maybe it is not your oil filter but it really sounds like your engine is lacking of oil at start up. It seems that the oil take a couple of second to travel around the whole engine. Did you try to turn the key one or two times without starting the engine to prime the oil pump before the start up?

Wouldn't make a difference as the oil pump is mechanical not electrical. I have to do the throttle pedal to the floor trick to crank it without starting so it will pump up the lifter.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i'm starting to think i should go around the neighborhood and ask the owners of the 10-12 ram 1500s on the block if they had cam lifter issues.

maybe that would be a bad idea for a few reasons. lol.

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...ech-lash-is-much-more-than-just-a-little-gap/

Taking a beating

If the lash setting is too loose or excessive, the valvetrain takes a severe beating. The rocker arm acts like a sledgehammer by building up momentum with the extra distance and pounds the valve tip. Much of that force is reflected back through the rocker and pushrod to the lifter. Broken lifters and burnt pushrod tips are often consequences of too much valve lash. If the lash is too tight, the intake valve may hang open.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...ech-lash-is-much-more-than-just-a-little-gap/

Taking a beating

If the lash setting is too loose or excessive, the valvetrain takes a severe beating. The rocker arm acts like a sledgehammer by building up momentum with the extra distance and pounds the valve tip. Much of that force is reflected back through the rocker and pushrod to the lifter. Broken lifters and burnt pushrod tips are often consequences of too much valve lash. If the lash is too tight, the intake valve may hang open.

wow. read the whole article. it sounds like a meticulous process..and mass engine building at a fast pace and the two should not be mixed together. lol.

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On these Hemi engines the valve lash isn't adjustable, that's what the hydraulic lifters are for. But if they bleed down too much it creates excessive clearance causing damage.