Engine dying, wheel bearings going out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fingerinthedam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recently my '09 Ram 1500 4x4 has started dying when I slow down or come to a stop. When I put it in neutral it starts right back up and there are no check engine lights on.

Also, it was making a clicking noise from the left front but now it's making a sound that can only be described as an old WWII bomber taking off and it's getting louder. I'm guessing it's a wheel bearing going out, but can I replace just the bearing or do I have to buy the hub too? Thanks in advance.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Don't have an answer, but curious how many miles you have on your truck?

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's odd you get no check engine light. Could be a lot causing the running issues though. Plugs, fuel filter, bad sensor, etc. The other issue might be a bearing but could also be a drive axle. I've heard those things make some pretty horrible noises. Hope it's not too bad.

Coop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How often does it happen? I had the unexplainable dying on my '06, and here someone is reporting it on a '10.

Some of the suggestions are it might be vacuum related or an electrical issue. I replaced plugs on mine between the first and last episode, so that wasn't my issue, and I don't think it was a hose, as I checked those early on. I never found the cause on mine, and traded it.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
I had the same issue a few days ago with my work vehicle. Come to find out it was the mass air flow sensor. Might be something worth checking on.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I love they put all these sensors on a motor now that can basically render the vehicle useless without it. :emotions122:

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
I love they put all these sensors on a motor now that can basically render the vehicle useless without it. :emotions122:

What makes it even better.... is when one of the sensors fail and it doesn't throw a code so they have to "trouble shoot it". LOL!

The mass air flow in my work vehicle never threw a code so I had to deal with that until they got it figured out.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What makes it even better.... is when one of the sensors fail and it doesn't throw a code so they have to "trouble shoot it". LOL!

The mass air flow in my work vehicle never threw a code so I had to deal with that until they got it figured out.

Thought that was the point to all these computers they put in vehicles today. So they could get a diagnosis of what is failing. I miss the days of only having to replace a pump, filter, switch or fuse for most issues.