Engine Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Valariza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally have an answer after months of trying to figure out the problem with our 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. Apparently it’s the Engine wiring harness causing the battery drain. Now that that problem has been figured out the new problem is that part has been discontinued by Mopar. We have searched everywhere for a replacement including salvage yards with no luck. The service department at the dealership is willing to attempt to repair it for over $1000 but are not hopeful they can. I see other posted threads with same issue, anyone have suggestions on repair or is our truck just a big piece of junk metal now?

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would be interested in knowing just how a wiring harness is causing a battery drain. If it's a damaged harness, repair the damaged wires. Is part of the charging circuit that is bad?

The harness does nothing but connect electrical parts together at the ends. Unless a fuse link to the alternator / starter is bad or a bundled connection is kaput, don't see the correlation, but any of those pieces are repairable.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Junk Yard, once you do this once it is addicting, lots of good parts there on the cheap.

That or ebay, which is also a great resource. Cheapest I seen is 300, which tells me the market already knows this product is discoed...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That dude knows his stuff, he shows a truck in great shape except for the rear damage, let's you know the part has a good chance of working well. Removing that alone is a process, so 300 bucks is kinda light imo, I'd charge more :)

90 day guaruntee, bang der ya go.

Awe wait, looks like not a hemi wiring harness but a 3.7, so scrap that my bad. But you know what to look for.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The double post syndrome strikes again,lol. G-Ride can you combine this guys 2 posts ,so he's only got one thread on his issues.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's all over the forum. Look in 5th gen Heavy Duty, 7 identical threads right at the top.
You got that right,there's been issues with the forum for the last couple of days.Guys are putting a post up,then getting the "Oops" thing,and then hit post again.So there's several posts up that are duplicates.G-Ride and the mods have been working to combine alot of them,but even they're having issues with the forum lately

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Ditto as said above...a wiring harness is a bunch of wires harnessed together. Fix the one that is the problem...I know it might be easier said than done, but it's really the best way. If someone was able to determine the problem was in the harness, they should be able to repair the harness.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Here's his other thread on this issue.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Here's his other thread on this issue.

one more thing to worry about thanks rick...

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Finally have an answer after months of trying to figure out the problem with our 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. Apparently it’s the Engine wiring harness causing the battery drain. Now that that problem has been figured out the new problem is that part has been discontinued by Mopar. We have searched everywhere for a replacement including salvage yards with no luck. The service department at the dealership is willing to attempt to repair it for over $1000 but are not hopeful they can. I see other posted threads with same issue, anyone have suggestions on repair or is our truck just a big piece of junk metal now?
Hey @Valariza

You should find the wiring issue and replace just where the issue is. Whether it's just wiring or a connector. If you can give some specific detail as to where in the harness the issue is at, there are a slew of fine ready to help folks on this site that can steer you in the right direction to source those kinds of fixes.

I don't know if you know about this one, but this salvage yard doesn't allow anyone to remove parts from vehicles on site. So things like wiring harnesses are there in tact/not cut like many pull it yourself places, if they have the one you need. Not sure if they ship, but I've gotten several hard to find items myself for Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram vehicles as that's all they do vs. other makes/models. Not so much for diesel 2500's and up, but wouldn't hurt to give them a call. I found a 54K Jeep TJ engine there and put it in my daughters Jeep TJ a couple years back. Got the A/C compressor with it as well and runs great and A/C works! LINK

Don't forget to post details on where harness issue is so you get some help here as well.

I had a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee once that the wiring harness got damaged with previous owner swapping out an almost new 5.7 v8 in it (tight space when you put a hemi in a grand cherokee). I looked up gauge of wire for each one damaged, removed the intake and misc. items in the way so I could get to it back by firewall behind the engine and soldered in the correct gauge of wires into each damaged/cut one (5 cut +2 heavily damaged). Heat shrunk and electrical taped it all up so couldn't rub thru anytime soon while laying on a piece of foam & old blanket across the engine with soldering gun. Never had an issue with it again! So you can fix a wiring harness without replacing the whole thing, just depends on what's wrong with it.

Wish you the best on this one!

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would recommend removing the harness completely from the vehicle, if at all possible, and repairing it. The issue is likely to be rub-through damage or green crusties in a connector, both of which are generally repairable.

The salvage yard harnesses can be problematic as they can differ by either factory wiring changes or incompatibilities due to different optional equipment.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100887 miles.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
How did they figure the harness, just unplug every thing?
Kind of iffy to me
If one thing at a time was unplugged and then the current draw dropped down , you know which circuit is bad
You would have to cut the harness open and check for pinched wires, mouse damage, water in a plug or connector could do that.
Will take some time to go through it all, but the fix would be simple when found, if it is leaky wire.
I have worked in the electrical , electronics trade yrs ago, wires haven’t changed, but all the stuff that is plugged into them sure has these days.
Good luck