Engine Knocking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kempo780

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hello all,

I think my 2017 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi is having engine knock but wanted to get everyones opinion. Truck has 32k miles on it. I thought at first it was a manifold leak as I know these trucks are prone to snapping bolts, but now that I crawled under the truck I don't think that is the case. I have put a YouTube video below of a truck that makes the same exact noise as mine is making. Any help diagnosing this issue would be extremely helpful!

The noise can be heard 1:37 seconds into the video.

Last edited:

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Here are typical options.
Manifold bolt
Lifters
Injectors which I would say it isn't if it's that loud.

What oil do you use? Mine had a mild tick since 2k miles switched to 5w30 royal purple now quite.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
That is the well known “Hemi Tic”

I suggest a high moly oil and 500-1000 miles on that new oil.

Firstly Redline 5W30

There are others but this is the proven one to stop hemi tic

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
kempo780

kempo780

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I bought the truck brand new and have always used Mobil 1 5W-20 and Mobil 1 oil filter changed every 5k miles. I switched to Redline 5W-30 but then went right back to Mobil 1 as i got really bad piston slap during the winter months here in NY.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is the well known “Hemi Tic”

I suggest a high moly oil and 500-1000 miles on that new oil.

Firstly Redline 5W30

There are others but this is the proven one to stop hemi tic

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Yes as I was gonna suggest 0w30 redline then the guy above me posted, so this but 0w30 for NY. Read the thread in my sig and see poll results. 5w30 redline has been proven to be bsest tick killer, but correctly also can lead to cold piston slap in some trucks. I would call this a light case of hemi tick. You might want to get a used oil analysis from blackstone, see how bad it is or isn't. 0w30 redline has proven to be almost just as good as 5w30 in the few examples like hemi395's truck that operates in the cold.

OP
OP
kempo780

kempo780

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yes as I was gonna suggest 0w30 redline then the guy above me posted, so this but 0w30 for NY. Read the thread in my sig and see poll results. 5w30 redline has been proven to be bsest tick killer, but correctly also can lead to cold piston slap in some trucks. I would call this a light case of hemi tick. You might want to get a used oil analysis from blackstone, see how bad it is or isn't. 0w30 redline has proven to be almost just as good as 5w30 in the few examples like hemi395's truck that operates in the cold.
I was really hoping that is was not the Hemi Tick!!!! Now i wish it was an exhaust leak! Worst part is i just did a fresh oil change yesterday.... Is running the Redline 0w-30 better then running Redline 5w-20? I would think that Ram wants your to run 5w-20 for a reason.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm just the voice of what has the best chance, 5w20 has killed some ticks including mine, but 0w30 has killed ticks 5w20 didn't like hemi395's. 0w20 is not out of the question either. Since you have fresh oil, I would dump 15 ounces lubegard biotech in there, poor man's redline, see if it changes tick at all. Read the lubegard thread and the thread on redline in my sig. GL

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
poll oil weight

71 to 63, 20 weight pollsters versus 30 weight and up pollsters. Only one person reported negative finding with no follow up. Most of us has been on 5w30 and thicker for ten years with zero issues, with the exception of cold piston slap on cold states. No mds issues, which is what ram "says" you should run 5w20 for. up to you.

OP
OP
kempo780

kempo780

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I was really hoping that is was not the Hemi Tick!!!! Now i wish it was an exhaust leak! Worst part is i just did a fresh oil change yesterday.... Is running the Redline 0w-30 better then running Redline 5w-20? I would think that Ram wants your to run 5w-20 for a reason.
Thank i will give the lubegard a shot. I just bought the 15oz on amazon. I will let everyone know if it helps. I just need it to hold me over until my next oil change.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank i will give the lubegard a shot. I just bought the 15oz on amazon. I will let everyone know if it helps. I just need it to hold me over until my next oil change.
Go ahead and dump it in right now, no reason to wait. If you're worried about it being a little overfull, don't. Most of us run 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 quarts with no problems!

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello all,

I think my 2017 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi is having engine knock but wanted to get everyones opinion. Truck has 32k miles on it. I thought at first it was a manifold leak as I know these trucks are prone to snapping bolts, but now that I crawled under the truck I don't think that is the case. I have put a YouTube video below of a truck that makes the same exact noise as mine is making. Any help diagnosing this issue would be extremely helpful!

The noise can be heard 1:37 seconds into the video.

Is your hemi quiet on cold start, but then start making the noise after a minute or so? Then goes away completely warmed up?

OP
OP
kempo780

kempo780

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Is your hemi quiet on cold start, but then start making the noise after a minute or so? Then goes away completely warmed up?
The sounds is most noticeable after you start the engine cold and the RPM's come down after a minute or 2 at idle. At operating temperature i can barely hear it but it is still there.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry if I missed it, but do you know with absolute certainty this is not an exhaust manifold leak?

If you don't know for sure, you have to find this out first. I hear you that it SOUNDS like this or that, so it must be, but it might be just a manifold leak.

OP
OP
kempo780

kempo780

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sorry if I missed it, but do you know with absolute certainty this is not an exhaust manifold leak?

If you don't know for sure, you have to find this out first. I hear you that it SOUNDS like this or that, so it must be, but it might be just a manifold leak.
I have only gone by sound. i guess i will need to take some time and take the heat shields off and play with it to be sure. ugghh...

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I read that i can buy a stethoscope and put it on the block and hear the tick. If i don't hear the tick while using the stethoscope then i know it is a manifold leak.
I have one I bought for checking for noises on the big heads on my V twin Victory. Cheap & work great

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The sounds is most noticeable after you start the engine cold and the RPM's come down after a minute or 2 at idle. At operating temperature i can barely hear it but it is still there.

I'm pretty sure what you hear is piston slap and PYB (pennzoil conventional) should make it go away...

But if it's hemi tick something like redline or PUP might be best... I just don't think it is.

OP
OP
kempo780

kempo780

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So I bought a automotive stethoscope to diagnose the hemi tick and the thing is amazing. How did I not buy one sooner! After running 500 miles on the lube guard introduced to me by @Burla and the Mobil 1 it looks like my tick is completely gone as of now.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So I bought a automotive stethoscope to diagnose the hemi tick and the thing is amazing. How did I not buy one sooner! After running 500 miles on the lube guard introduced to me by @Burla and the Mobil 1 it looks like my tick is completely gone as of now.

That is good news, glad to hear it. Sometimes spawn of BITOG come and spread disinformation, recommend inferior oils as if that is the answer lmao, and wager personal attacks instead of challenging the science, it is rather pathetic. These so called "oil" guys actually hate quality oil, it is rather funny. It's like twitters yahoo's who know squat about oil make it a mission to spread disinformation and it jams up progress.

Kempo thanks for reporting back that is great news and your contribution adds to current body of knowledge for ram forum members who just want the best answers for hemi tick. It has been all of our hope there will be more answers then just running redline, and clearly lubegard's biotech that we deemed "Poor man's redline" is also a true answer for serious guys who want to kill these ticks.

So things to consider moving forward to keep that tick away, how long you keep the tick away. If this ends up the be all answer, man that is great m1 and lubegard has to be a great answer that is clean base oils and will make that engine purr. If undesirable noises come back, please log them, and the viscosity of the oil you are using. Bottom line, I see no reason to change anything if this combo works long term, you will save some good money of running hemi honey redline and likely will never know any difference. And if this combo doesn't work, you know that moly/ester is part of the answer and at that point you may break out the redline. With so many ram forum members reporting in the poll, it is hard to fathom people walking around saying I don't think this is a good combo for ticking hemi's, LMAO.

I'm gonna start a new thread Kempo if you don't mind, hopefully you will add your experience and more guys can report if lubegard kills as many ticks as redline or not.