MoS2 versus Lubegard Biotech & Redline/QSUD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This was Burla having some fun on saturday, not some scientific proof of any result, so don't get all serious about it, but yet still found some interesting results, so I am sharing them. The reason for the test was yesterday when I took a pic of the color of lubegard, I noticed the stuff don't wash out, even if hot water and dawn. And even though my engine was butter smooth, I didn't think it could get smoother, when I dumped the Lubegard in it was even noticeable smoother, no joke. Water tested was about 5f under boiling, I have a hot water maker and that is what was used, so 200f+, too hot to put your hand in and about the temperature your engine operates at.

So pictures are worth a thousand words, I will post them. Basically at cold temp it appeared that MoS2 was the stickier product, but at high temp the Lubegard biotech was clearly more sticky. Now, MoS2 is going to plate with pressure (any moly will), which is what is needed in high pressure tick situations, but this is what you can expect at operating temps. My takeaways, M0S2 has much less risk than I previously thought, and there is something sticky with that Lubegard Biotech. Consider this, Lubegard is less viscosity the most oils, much less viscosity than redline 5w30 as shown, so how is it possible is sticks better at high temp? That should be impossible? If the very definition of viscosity is film strength under temperature, this should be impossible if we are just talking about base oils. And clearly the moly aint it either, so esters? You guess.

Products tested-

49474167087_2eb9ece677_z.jpg

Stickiness at room temp on a glass, MoS2 clearly sticks better then all 4 choices.

49473944096_31d9169852_z.jpg

49473937226_080fde8b44_z.jpg

Here's where it gets fun, notice additives versus oil after sitting in plus 200f water. First pic MoS2 and Biotech second pic 5w20 qsud versus 5w30 redline, the qsud mostly washed out with hot water when left to sit and drip the redline stuck noticeable better.

49473444153_370cd4eecd_z.jpg

49474156347_bb042782e3_z.jpg

Left to drain the redline had survived the temperature better and was even still stuck on glass, at this point I stopped testing qsud it had mostly washed away or dripped out of glass.

49474154977_ecd2ca7953_z.jpg

The second heat soak 200f+ and dawn detergent added.

49474150497_1164fa64f0_z.jpg

The Final results, Lubegard survived heat and heat soap tests the best, then Redline, and then MoS2. You can see napkin where the MoS2 was, and then the blue/green is your Lubegard biotech, and some Redline you can still see clinging after all of that on the right.

49473928216_c9d6ca90ff_z.jpg

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Still a great deal at amazon, $6.29 for 10 ounce Lubegard Biotech, and 15 ounce is $9.38. They raised the 10 ounce and lowered the 15 ounce, so now both are great deals.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3606598/1
Lubegard Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant - VOA
Many thanks to Blackstone Labs for running this VOA at no charge.

Aluminum / 0
Chromium / 0
Iron / 0
Copper / 0
Lead / 0
Tin / 0
Molybdenum / 1891
Nickel / 0
Manganese / 0
Silver / 0
Titanium / 0
Potassium / 0
Boron / 134
Silicon / 17
Sodium / 70
Calcium / 3183
Magnesium / 10
Phosphorus / 3472
Zinc / 9
Barium / 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F / 47.9
cSt Viscosity @ 100C / 6.64
Flashpoint in F / 430
Fuel% / -
Antifreeze% / -
Water% / 0.0
Insolubles% / TR
TBN / 3.7

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I poured a bottle of Lubegard in my 2015 Chevy Express which is my work van. It has a 4.8 LS motor. It had a definite hot idle tick and my company gives it a steady diet of M1 5w30. It didn't kill it completely but it did quiet it by about 80%. Now the van is at the end of another M1 oci and its ticking like it was before. I realize GM LS motors are not Hemis but thought I'd share the experience with Lubegard.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great test! That Dawn erasing foam is some good ****! Maybe I should add some Lubeguard to the QSUD I have in the Challenger for now, hell its only got maybe 3-400 miles on it and save the Redline I bought for it a little while. No Hemi tick anymore but not Redline buttery smooth for sure.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I poured a bottle of Lubegard in my 2015 Chevy Express which is my work van. It has a 4.8 LS motor. It had a definite hot idle tick and my company gives it a steady diet of M1 5w30. It didn't kill it completely but it did quiet it by about 80%. Now the van is at the end of another M1 oci and its ticking like it was before. I realize GM LS motors are not Hemis but thought I'd share the experience with Lubegard.

Definition of an oil guy right there = Dumps hard earned money into work van to test it, lol.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I used MOS2 to try and quiet cold start clatter. That 1-3 second long valvetrain clatter that happens with some hemi’s.

It worked pretty good. Definitely made a difference.

AWSOME test mike. I like the cup idea.

If it is the esters than I bet Motul 300v would perform good to.

We have always thought that it is more about the combination of esters and Molly than just one versus the other.

This is a good visual test..[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji41]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does/has anyone ran lubetech in their redline 5w30? Is this recommended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
So what I understand from what I have read here and the other post on this subject. Both Lubegard and MO2 have sticky properties that can/could help keep parts lubricated over night and reduce or eliminate first start dry lube clatter in the 5.7 and 6.4.
One, Lubegard is effective for high temp oil break down and MO2 can be a cold start solution.
Some have said that they are concerned about these products "building up" in our crank cases if we are using them with each oil change at 3-4000 miles. You know the layman's thought is, use both for protection of both conditions. Not sure that would be smart. Interested in you guys thoughts. Fitz

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great test BBB ! The Glass idea really captures the visual clinging of each product [emoji106][emoji106]

I've never considered using an additive to my engine oil ( been using Redline for so long ) BUT i think I'd use that Lubegard i like the high molybdenum ,calcium and phosphorus ....i think it would it be a great boost for any oil at 1/2 life .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does/has anyone ran lubetech in their redline 5w30? Is this recommended?

Burla the OP of this thread runs Redline 5W-30 and he said above he poured in some of the Lubegard and it made it smoother .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Great test BBB ! The Glass idea really captures the visual clinging of each product [emoji106][emoji106]

I've never considered using an additive to my engine oil ( been using Redline for so long ) BUT i think I'd use that Lube Guard i like the high molybdenum ,calcium and phosphorus ....i think it would it be a great boost for any oil at 1/2 life .

Agreed 100%, especially with Lubegard's CA level this could be a TBN boost at the same time making up for lack of lubricity with broke vii's. This kinda makes bg moa a little obsolete IMO. I like bg moa as a tbn boost, but can't see picking it over this when this seems to have other benefits.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Agreed 100%, especially with Lubegard's CA level this could be a TBN boost at the same time making up for lack of lubricity with broke vii's. This kinda makes bg moa a little obsolete IMO. I like bg moa as a tbn boost, but can't see picking it over this when this seems to have other benefits.

EXCELLENT point mike.

LG is our new bgmoa. Seriously. Great thread mike. Thanks for doing this man.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Back to the test, at no time did I use any manual effort to remove any oil or additive, and I attempted to soak all the glasses the same exact amount of time. In all of those pics any of the stickiness was wiped away solely by temperature and water and then temperature water and soap and nothing else. Both heat soaks were a few minutes, anymore as the water cools it would skew the results of what I attempted to do. This by no means is anything like the really cool white paper out there, I just wanted to explore the result I had yesterday.

Biotech marketing page. Too Ronnies point it can extend oil life as reported, really makes sense imo. The FALEX PIN AND VEE BLOCK TEST is the same thing Redline excels at when compared to other oils as we have discussed before. The marketing makes sense, at least portions of it does. Certainly lives up to poor man's redline designation, who knows maybe even can quiet these lifters more if given the chance and dose correctly?

Funny this test was spawned by someone just asking about the color of lubegard, I doubt I would have even thought to do it this way had I not put it in a container to show the color of it. Normally something like this is just dumped into an engine out of sight out of mind, it either works or doesn't, nothing to explore. I'm glad someone inquired about the color, I found the results interesting. Definitely we need more forum testing, hopefully this will be the spawn of some other testing, all with a singular goal, try and find helpful lubrication to kill these ticks. In my unscientific test, I wonder if there are product even better? Maybe Lucas? I wonder how Lucas would do with this test.

• Reduces oil and fuel consumption!biosynthetic.jpg
  • Optimizes engine horsepower and performance
  • Protects and extends oil life by 30%
  • Improves fuel economy by reducing friction in your engine
  • Reduces wear on metal components, thus increasing part life
  • Improves anti-friction and anti-wear properties of ALL major oil brands to meet requirements of ALL vehicles, including older and high performance models
  • Eliminates lifter and other objectionable noise on startup, especially in cold weather
  • Ensures smoother running engines
  • Reduces hot engine oil temperatures
  • Gives improvement in friction and wear performance over major brands of motor oil
  • Blends with ALL motor oils currently produced, including API; SJ, SJ/EC, CG- 4, CH-4, SE, SF, SG, SI, CC, CD, CE, SL, SD, SM, CF and SN motor oils
  • Helps reduce smoking by restoring flexibility to valve stem seals for improved sealing, also providing outstanding upper cylinder lubricity as it frees up sticking rings
  • Inhibits oxidation and extends engine oil life (see TFOUT test results below)
  • Also use to extend the life of small 4 cycle engines such as; lawn maintenance equipment, motorcycles, snow mobiles, etc.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just did. I wouldn't say it's recommended, but I'd say it carries very little risk and may have quieting properties.

Thanks. Figure couldnt hurt. Worst case it waste a couple bucks.