Engine noise cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ukrkoz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7Magnum
I have 2019 RAM 1500 5.7L.
Truck has only 15 000 miles and is driven not very often, as I keep it strictly as property truck.
I drive it ever so often just to keep fluids running and parts moving.
It happened so that it was sitting for two weeks with around low 30s temps, in garage.
When I started it in the morning, engine produced loud rockers noise that went away, as engine started running. Took about 30 seconds to go to no noise and normal running sound.
I am pretty sure it's related to engine oil leak down because of sitting in garage do nothing. Know that noise from multiple other vehicles.

So my question is - at 15 000 miles? And I have Tahoe with 5.3 and 150 000 miles and it can sit for a month and start without any noise?
I am quite concerned as It's barely broken in engine. And, for dealer to reproduce it, thewy'll have to keep it there for few weeks and start cold.

Are those engine prone to oil leak downs and chain tensioner loosening itself, as the result? I had 05 RAM and had none of such issue.

Thank you

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It is a form of hemi tick, look up molybdenum lubrication strategies on the board, redline for oil strategy, lubeguard biotech for an additive you can add to any oil. There are polls, most of the people who do this cure this. This is the science behind it.

This is the only vehicle I ever had that is prone to this, since moving to 5w30 redline I have not heard any tick except for extreme conditions as in sit for a month or more. Get a royal purple 20-820 to pair with it. Redline gives you an 80% at curing this, lubegard about 50%. The nice thing abut trying lubegard, you can just get some and add it now 15 ounces.

There is a reason to not use mos2, these are moDTC. Use something else at your own risk.

OP
OP
ukrkoz

ukrkoz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7Magnum
Thank you.
Well, it was not a tick, but heavy rattle that went away. I am pretty sure, like 98%, that oil leake o ut of chain tensioner and it took some time to restore oil pressure.
Simply, didn't expect it to be so soon on a, basically, new engine.
I'll consider additives. I use additves since 2002, with great success, on various engines.
Certainly, the easy fix is to drive it ever so often. I drove it twice this week and every time it's performing stellar. Has better mpg than my Tahoe anyway.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Given it took 30sec to go away, this could be an exhaust manifold leak as well. That can sound like lifter tick too.

OP
OP
ukrkoz

ukrkoz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7Magnum
Naahhh... exhaust leak on a new engine? Even for Dodge it's unheard of. It was clearly top RATTLE, I am rather - unfortunately - familiar with those. Some Nissan and Toyota engines had same issue - oil leak down=rattle at cold start. Loose tensioner=loose chain=valve train is off=oil pressure builds up=rattle goes away.
It just stunned me it happened at such low mileage for a 5.7 Hemi. Should be tight like ******. Oh my. V-rgin is a blocked word? really?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
New or old has nothing to do with exhaust problems with newer hemis. Especially in winter when metal is cold and then extremely hot and engine is shut off when it is extremely cold outside, and having two different metals attached to each other, or even two different sizes of metal attached to each other and the different cooling properties of those IE the exhaust manifold versus the block. The bolts themselves are often broke during this expansion.contraction of metal, can happen anytime. Then you add mds that shuts down 4 cylinders at once, but leave the other cylinders hot. This just further messes up the cooling and heating on those bolts. hot cold hot cold, and all of this requires bolt to secure manifold in place. Something has to give, and in hemis that give is often bolts.

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
start up engine noise is a relatively new phenomenon. Basically, it didn't occur about 20 years ago. It sort of like what happen to the paint. all about EPA, Dont try to compare the quality of paint today to 30 years ago , you cant. Same with motor oil. They removed all the additives that actually stopped all this startup engine wear. That is why the best oils are not API certified. If it is , it is ****.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Next time it sits for very long try priming it by holding the fuel pedal all the way down while cranking. Give it about 10 seconds, 15 at the most. Then crank as normal. Should be quiet as a mouse.

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Is this the same noise? I just started the car. Is this a problem? The previous owner changed oil last month, but they used semi synthetic. Should I change again to full synthetic?

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Is this the same noise? I just started the car. Is this a problem? The previous owner changed oil last month, but they used semi synthetic. Should I change again to full synthetic?
I have never ever in 40 years had any gas engine sound like that, to me that is not normal...

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That is not good. I just bought this truck last month, it has 64k miles. I see the last oil change, they used semi synthetic, not sure that is making things worse, but I will change the oil today to full synthetic. Thanks for your reply.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id take a bad fan clutch, ac compressor or a simple idler pulley over a valve/lifter/cam issue anyday!
Most backyard mechanics can fix those with the exception of recovery/charging the AC system.

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yea its def something belt driven one of the pullys must of went bad remove belt start it for a sec noise should be gone
Thank you! I took your advice and removed the belt, started the engine, no noise. Replaced the belt tensioner and idler pulley and noise is gone. I appreciate all the responses! See video after fix:

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi all,
I was shocked to hear the noise is back as of this morning. I will remove the parts replaced and check them. Still in warranty, but wondering if sometheelse is causing it to fail, or if it was just a bad part. Duralast brand from Auto Zone.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never ever in 40 years had any gas engine sound like that, to me that is not normal...
Sounds more like serpentine belt, pulley issue like idler than hemi tick. But Internet Guessnosis at it's Best.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you! I took your advice and removed the belt, started the engine, no noise. Replaced the belt tensioner and idler pulley and noise is gone. I appreciate all the responses! See video after fix:
Replace belt also? Man Intern et Guessnosis is a "b i o t c h". LOL

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334