Engine oil for proper break-in: conventional or synthetic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
Read your manual. There is a very short window of break in e.g. no towing for awhile, speed etc.

Read manual for oil to use.
Yep, there's no trick. Just follow the manual. The truck comes with oil in it. The truck will also tell you when it's time to change the oil. There is no benefit to changing the oil after a couple hundred of miles.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yep, there's no trick. Just follow the manual. The truck comes with oil in it. The truck will also tell you when it's time to change the oil. There is no benefit to changing the oil after a couple hundred of miles.
It would depend on how oil the oil is at the time of purchases to if and when I would change oil the first time. My self have purchase several new vehicles in the last 15 years that had oil that was over 6 months and the last one a 2021 was 9 months old, no way would I want to run that old oil for another 12 months or 10K OCI... Any time I buy a vehicle I look to see when it was manufactured because if the oil is over 3 months oil I make the oil and filter being changed as part of the deal to buy....