Engine spitting and sputtering, dying.

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by BikerDash, Jul 1, 2018.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. BikerDash

BikerDash Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    It was not a case of not knowing how to do the job... it is a case of playing Mr. Contortionist trying to get my arms in there. (too short to just stand on the bumper and reach back... gotta sit on the radiator support frame to reach back there, and then bending down... makes my arms try to bend in weird directions)

Anyways, pulled the old distrinutor cap and rotor out... was not certain if they were the cause, but they looked worn enough I thought it best to get new ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Welp... that didn't fix the issue. Had the windows down when I was taking it for the test drive, and I could hear the very distinct popping coming from the exhaust...
    Would that be a very lean issue causing that?
    I know that when my bike used to pop under deceleration, going up a jet size in the carbs helped eliminate that. Got me wondering if it is the fuel pump going bad

2. BoDuke

BoDuke Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum
    Check the IAC valve on the back of the throttle body, they are known to cause issues when they get dirty. I had one go bad and it was similiar to your symptons but not exact. I wouldnt replace it right away but just clean it and its hole on the throttle body very well.

3. BikerDash

BikerDash Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    How would the IAC valve cause the truck to sputter and threaten to stall (or actually stall) when you give it gas under load?
    Almost time for me to head to pool tonight, but I will be looking at that in the morning

4. BoDuke

BoDuke Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum
    To what i understand it controls the idle that is about it maybe someone who understands it more can help you with an explanation on how it works just sharing my .02 cents

5. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Hold my beer and watch this..... Military Member

Ram Year:
    2018 1500 Laramie
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    Damn bro, once you figure it out, she's gonna run like a champ with all the new parts! I didn't mean to insult your knowledge, I read your post wrong. Thought you were asking where the distributor is so I attached the vids...... So, I'm not sure about everything you've done, but just to make sure, have you checked the couple issues that the 5.9 is notorious for? TPMS, Plenum Gasket, MAP sensor.... As far as the fuel pump, it certainly could be, you can get a cheap fuel pressure gauge to check that out. Definitely worth looking at.

6. BikerDash

BikerDash Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    Right now... with how many headaches this vehicle is becoming, I started looking at this Focus Hatchback that has a proper H-pattern shifter...

I miss driving stickshift

SYKRAMMAN likes this.