Engine stand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New2dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
So just pulled my motor. First time ever pulling one and can’t get it on the engine stand. Measuring I would need 6” bolts to hold it on. Is this normal or am I doing something really wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 7

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks to me like you need to remove the flywheel and converter. 6" bolts aren't the solution.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This ^^^^^ , finish removing the flywheel and torque converter. That will make it closer.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Agree with the previous posts...

In addition, buy grade at least grade 5 (preferably grade 8) bolts. Depending on whether you have intake and heads installed, you will have 500+lbs on that stand. Do not trust that to hardware store soft (grade 2 or less) bolts.

This is a big fast forward, but - I personally would never try torquing heads on an engine stand. I've never tried a modern Hemi with AL heads. I have tried the older cast SB and BB heads on 60's, and 70's vehicles. You can't get a good torque with the springiness of the engine stand while it's chasing you around the shop. Torque them to a low/equal value on the stand and then finish in the vehicle.

OP
OP
N

New2dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Thank y’all for the advice. I’ll be removing it today. Also will be getting some grade 8 bolts.