Error Codes and Rust on oil cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate_2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For a few months, I've been getting P0404 codes. Replaced the EGR valve and it went away then came back. I couldn't figure it out so I let it sit and see what would happen. Soon after, on startup, it started having issues starting as well as it had trouble going and had a deep rumbling that would soon dissipate as if I was burning off water, come to find out there is rust in the oil cap and around it so something is seriously wrong. Just the other day I got two new codes P0440 and P0441 and I'm thinking it may not be the worst like a head gasket leak. Hoping to get a second opinion and some more info before I tear apart 3/4 of my engine to not find a head gasket leak

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
The rust in, on, or around your oil cap is just condensation from your crankcase, put and oe cap back on and throw the metal cap out and install a oil catch can, that will minimize the condensation and keep crap from going into your intake.