eTorque and towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goal10der

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
2019 Ram.jpg

Hello everyone, I traded in my 2016 for the new gen 2019 Bighorn, so I'm looking for some feedback. It does have the e-torque engine, any thoughts on it mechanically. I know Ram isn't the first with a start/stop function, but any opinions on additional wear and tear of the Hemi itself,or other components, being started from the crank in front vs. the starter/flywheel?

Next for opinion, I do occasionally tow a travel trailer, about 6000 pounds give or take as I have it loaded. I do use an equalizer hitch, and the truck has a class IV receiver hitch so load distribution shouldn't be an issue. I did get a towing package, it has an anti-slip rear and 3.92 ratio. My other Ram was the same, but seeing the on/off use can be shut off, do you think it better to do so on this one.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
You are likely the first person to post that actually has an eTorque Hemi.
Welcome to the forum

M² Mods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goal10der

Goal10der

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
What do you think of the e torque?
I only have 600 miles on it so far. Takes some getting used to, a little unnerving at first when you're stopped at a light and it shuts down. Did notice you have to keep your foot firmly on the brake, it will auto start even waiting at a light if the computer senses the load from, say the a/c, reaches a certain point. The truck will lurch a small bit if it does, so just a matter of knowing it and being aware it happens. But it's a minor issue.

slim chance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 eTorque
we also have the etorque and while i did not think i would like it or use it, i gave it a chance and have learned to like it ... much smoother than i thought and have only turned it off when in walmart parking lots .. if you do not want the engine to shut off just lighten up on the brake as you come to a complete stop and keep just enough brake to hold the stop ... really very easy .... local driving is giving me 19.5 hand calculated mpg