ETorque problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxwell387

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cyl
This is my 5th in 8 years and probably last Ram 1500, it has less than 4000 miles and in the last 1000 miles it has shut off at slow speeds, applied the emergency brake. I’ve had it to the dealership 3 times and still no fix. I’ve now taken it to a different dealer and they can not find a problem, the first dealer supposedly had the problem happen but later someone else at the dealership said it had not happened (did not want liability). I have read on line it may be a problem with the ETorque system, does anyone have an idea? Thanks

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
This is becoming a known issue with the eTorque trucks. I had the same issue happen with my built to order 22 rebel at ~ 5k miles and 15k miles. Dealer couldn't duplicate problem or elevate it to a star case. I traded the truck back in for a non eTorque 22 and took a $3k loss vs waiting for the 3rd occurrence and likely getting T boned.

Many others are reporting similar experiences with dealers and no solution after several hybrid control processor and transmission updates. Search "Engine shutting down while driving" & my post (mpgrimm2) over at the other 5th Gen Ram site since I can't link it here... Very detailed showing screen grabs, battery voltage (dropped below 12v) etc

bavelsgard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi etorque
2022 5.7 hemi with etorque with 7223 miles stranded my wife and I half way between knoxville and Nashville.

Battery light came on then the check engine light came on

A few minutes later received notice battery saver is one and some services would have reduced power.

Next infotainment center consol went out.

Shortly the brake assist and auto braking stopped. Followed by blind spot detection. Cruise control then cruise control went out.
Electronic stability went out.
Last, power steering went out and I pulled the vehicle over and turned it off.
It would not restart unless a jump box was used. Hazard flashers stopped after two hours.

Towed it to dealer near family in Clarksville tn. Dealer initially said it was battery power pack control module.

Went to dealer to get some things get some stuff out and they said it was the etorque box. Waiting on ram to release part.

Rockyko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I definitely don’t want etorque, why did ram trucks go there and what’s the last year without?

Ram1500Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck did the same thing as bavelsgard. What's worse is that I notified the dealer the day before that the check engine light came. Left me stranded about 150 miles from home and Dodge basically told me that I was on my own as far as transportation and that they couldn't get to it for about 2 weeks. Had to rent a car and then take the bus home. Not sure if this truck will stay around. It's the second battery charging problem in 6 months.

Attachments

• Tow 1.jpg
    Tow 1.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 13
  • tow2.jpg
    tow2.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 11
  • tow3.jpg
    tow3.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 11
  • tow4.jpg
    tow4.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 15
  • warning lights 1.jpg
    warning lights 1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 15
  • warning lights 2.jpg
    warning lights 2.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 15
  • warning lights 3.jpg
    warning lights 3.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 15

bavelsgard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi etorque
Etorque system battery pack that failed at 7k miles failed again today at 20k miles. I was lucky that the check engine light came on then the battery light. I immediately drive to my dealer 30 miles away. Made it safely and the service advisor said it was the battery pack behind the rear passenger seat was fried. He looked up the service in match and it was the same component. He said because of the current uaw strike it could be more than a month before the part came in. The dealership did put me in a loaner until repairs complete.

bavelsgard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi etorque
Received the truck back today. Hopeful that the new battery pack won't fail

stickman77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck did the same thing as bavelsgard. What's worse is that I notified the dealer the day before that the check engine light came. Left me stranded about 150 miles from home and Dodge basically told me that I was on my own as far as transportation and that they couldn't get to it for about 2 weeks. Had to rent a car and then take the bus home. Not sure if this truck will stay around. It's the second battery charging problem in 6 months.
That sucks man and it's embarrassing for such a new truck to be hauled off like that. etorque system is risky and dangerous.