Evap Purge Solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question----are these new tech's taught to repair anything or do they just simply learn to remove and replace?????? I know that repairing things sometimes is not as cost effective but I always thought that knowing how to repair things was part of being a "mechanic".
Jay

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Great question pull ya.

Last edited:

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As far as Chrysler training classes, they are not taught how to repair alternators or starters that type of thing, there are classes on engine, transmission, differentials , t-cases, overhaul or repair.
I learned starters, alternators, steering gears, master cylinders, brake calipers and wheel cylinder etc.overhaul in tech school, but that was almost 30 years ago.
Unfortunately most younger guys coming into the field view it as a job, not really an skill or occupation.
Like I said earlier, I think it is only going to get worse, until manufacturers start paying to actually fix cars. The way the system is set up at the present, techs don't really get paid to fix cars, they get paid to replace parts as quickly as they can and move on to the next job. Sad

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let me see----"I'm proud to be a parts replacer" or "I'm proud to be a mechanic and craftsman" God I hate being old, my expectations are way too high and I remember when people were proud of their work and accomplishments.
Off my soapbox now----sorry
Jay

OP
OP
fijicorey

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i just finished fixing this! Very easy, of course. Fyi this part is an exact duplicate of the Mopar one right down to each marking:

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS CP817

Got it off rock auto

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So on the old style Purge Valve the top hose sticking out sideways goes down to the fuel tank correct? and the other one where the nipple is pointing straight down, does that go to the manifold somewhere?

Mine has nothing hooked up to the bottom nipple. Help :)

Btw1185

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a pretty rough job...

Evap Purge Solenoid - Removal

View attachment 119927

The duty cycle EVAP canister purge solenoid (2) is located in the engine compartment mounted on the intake manifold.
  1. Carefully pull the solenoid assembly straight up from the tongue-type bracket without bending the two vapor lines.
  2. Disconnect electrical wiring connector (3) at solenoid.
  3. Disconnect vapor line quick-connect fitting (1) at solenoid.
  4. Disconnect the vacuum line near the throttle body.
Evap Purge Solenoid - Installation
  1. Connect vapor line quick-connect fitting (1) to solenoid.
  2. Connect vacuum line to the throttle body.
  3. Connect electrical wiring connector (3) to solenoid.
  4. Carefully push the solenoid assembly (2) straight down onto the tongue-type bracket without bending the vapor lines.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Interesting stuff: The quote is for over $100 in labor and about $20 in shop supplies. What supplies are they talking about?! The solenoid comes off by disconnecting a few things and that's it.

If they grab a wipe to clean off a hose, you get charged for the whole box. Might even be a charge for chips and a drink......lol.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Just a quick comment on this issue, I also had these codes pop up and I replaced everything, only to have it come back again. For me, the manifold hose was a very loose fit, I put a small hose clamp on it and it permanently fixed my issue. May happen to someone else...

Dakota2134

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I changed my purge solenoid on my 2013 which is the older style under the battery and I think it took me a total of 25 mins to do. The new style is much easier to replace, no need to pay the dealer $200 to replace it.
Where on the 13 models are they located? From my understanding they are in a different location from the 14 models. I’m needing to change one, but nothing I’ve read gives me the location

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where on the 13 models are they located? From my understanding they are in a different location from the 14 models. I’m needing to change one, but nothing I’ve read gives me the location
It's really hard to see from the engine bay, it's under the battery and fuse box. It's a tall skinny looking valve with 2 hoses and an electrical connector. Easiest way to get at is to pull the drivers fender liner.

1e0cdbf0da8e2f5378163a5ebaac2f6a.jpg

CWdaGreat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m also hearing conflicting answers on this. I’m hearing it’s below the battery, also that it’s above the gas tank. Anybody know the answer to this???

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m also hearing conflicting answers on this. I’m hearing it’s below the battery, also that it’s above the gas tank. Anybody know the answer to this???
I've never heard of them being above the gas tank, only below the battery or next to the throttle body on the later 4th gens....

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
Follow the vac. line from the intake til you see the purge valve.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never heard of them being above the gas tank, only below the battery or next to the throttle body on the later 4th gens....
Did you ever find this? I have a 2012 and might need to replace mine to deal with this p0456 code.