Excessive oil consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hi there
I have a 2007 5.9 non def with 200K. Just lately the oil consumption has gone off the scale. Sometimes I have to add a quart every 1500 miles but often a quart every 300 miles. There are no oil leaks and the truck use is consistant, city/highway and towing/empty.
Is there an outside component that could be causing this or is it definitely internal to the engine?
Thanks

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Any indication of fuel diluting the oil? Remove the oil cap with it idling and check for excessive blowby.
A bit of haze is OK, but if it is puffing, or pushing a big cloud that's trouble.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Any indication of fuel diluting the oil? Remove the oil cap with it idling and check for excessive blowby.
A bit of haze is OK, but if it is puffing, or pushing a big cloud that's trouble.

Yep, also may want to remove the turbo fresh air inlet tube, check if there is play up and down in the turbo impeller shaft,and any evidence the impeller is hitting the sides of the housing, remove the turbo outlet tube and check for excess oil.
If your turbo is leaking you don't want to keep driving it, runaway potential.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There's a breather tube off the valve cover. If there's exhaust coming out of it you have blow by. My 5.9 did what you are describing and the motor needed a rebuild not long after. The tube comes off the cover and is open ended downward.