Exhaust brake help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Damndodgeowner4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had the actuator on my 2011 Gen 4 6.7 cummins go out a couple years ago. I went ahead and purchased a whole new turbo and actuator and installed it. When I purchased it they said it was all plug and play and no calibration was needed. Now when i use the exhaust brake system, it stays engaged until i drop my speed to 50 mph. It doesn't matter if i am doing 55 or 80, once the brake engages i am forced to slow way down and let it disengage before i can build boost and accelerate. I also noticed while it is engaged and i hit the gas peddle, black smoke will come out of my exhaust pipe and then i throw an engine code of no boost pressure. Im at a complete loss of what to do or how to fix this. Hopefully one of y'all can enlighten me on this situation. Any information would help thanks.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had the actuator on my 2011 Gen 4 6.7 cummins go out a couple years ago. I went ahead and purchased a whole new turbo and actuator and installed it. When I purchased it they said it was all plug and play and no calibration was needed. Now when i use the exhaust brake system, it stays engaged until i drop my speed to 50 mph. It doesn't matter if i am doing 55 or 80, once the brake engages i am forced to slow way down and let it disengage before i can build boost and accelerate. I also noticed while it is engaged and i hit the gas peddle, black smoke will come out of my exhaust pipe and then i throw an engine code of no boost pressure. Im at a complete loss of what to do or how to fix this. Hopefully one of y'all can enlighten me on this situation. Any information would help thanks.
What is happening in this situation with the exhaust brake sticking in the "ON" position is too much soot build-up in the turbo. If you have ever had one of these turbos torn down you would see that the inside of the VGT is like a round drum with vanes at each end. The tolerances are very tight and when there is excessive soot build-up inside the vanes will get stuck and be unable to slide. This happens to stock trucks and deleted units as well. Back in the early days of the 6.7 we were drilling the turbo housings to create a cleaning port and using the Mopar Turbo Cleaning Solution. The cleaning solution is like a soapy water. I still clean turbos using this method when I am working on trucks on my own. I try to clean them a couple of times before I disassemble the turbo for cleaning.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You should post this in the 4th gen diesel section. There are a lot of knowledgeable diesel people there who I am sure can help, they may not have seen this post here. Good luck

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I don't think the turbo you installed is worth a chunk of salt. I had a Fleece Cheetah turbo installed in my 2011 and the EB works much better than with the stock turbo. I was warned to stay away from rebuilds even though they aren't near as pricey.