exhaust question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mopar4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have an 05 5.7, short box reg cab all stock. would like a little more grumble.

i also have a 2016 challenger with 5.7. has factory exhaust (dual out, each with a resonator) except muffler delete. i love the sound, not ridicuously loud, no drone, love it.

the truck has single out, one muffler, one resonator. if i do a muffler delete on my truck should i expect the same sound as my challenger? or does the qty of resonators and dual vs single make a big difference?

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
i have an 05 5.7, short box reg cab all stock. would like a little more grumble.

i also have a 2016 challenger with 5.7. has factory exhaust (dual out, each with a resonator) except muffler delete. i love the sound, not ridicuously loud, no drone, love it.

the truck has single out, one muffler, one resonator. if i do a muffler delete on my truck should i expect the same sound as my challenger? or does the qty of resonators and dual vs single make a big difference?
I would think they would sound similar, but remember, the exhaust on your challenger is a whole different animal.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No, I don't think it will sound the same or even close. Your Challenger has two pipes, a crossover and two more pipes.

Your truck has one pipe, no crossover and it just won't sound the same.

Lots of ways to get more sound out of your single exhaust. Take out the muffler and replace it with a freer flowing one. Or, take out the muffler, put in a single in/dual out muffler on it and add two new tailpipes. Now that's going to sound, and perform, a lot better.

OP
OP
M

Mopar4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, I don't think it will sound the same or even close. Your Challenger has two pipes, a crossover and two more pipes.

Your truck has one pipe, no crossover and it just won't sound the same.

Lots of ways to get more sound out of your single exhaust. Take out the muffler and replace it with a freer flowing one. Or, take out the muffler, put in a single in/dual out muffler on it and add two new tailpipes. Now that's going to sound, and perform, a lot better.

Thanks, this makes sense. Trying to find the cheapest way to get what i want and i think a muffler is the next cheapest option. So many muffler options its mind boggling.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah, I've always considered exhaust as one of the more difficult decisions to make. I found that spending some time listening to sound clips and watching videos of different exhaust systems gives you an idea of the differences.

I also know that asking other forum members for their recommendation is not necessarily the answer. Different systems sound differently to others.

So...good luck!

OP
OP
M

Mopar4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Local exhaust shop recommended a flowmaster 40 single out. $250 installed. Seems high to me.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Not bad, really. Single muffler replacement seems to run 250 - 300 around here depending on the vehicle.

OP
OP
M

Mopar4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
7795FB7E-ADE2-42DC-9268-1EDCC6B26AAD.png These flowmasters, do they rust easy? I live in the rust belt.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put a 40 series on my 2003 when it was new and it is still running strong on the truck that my friend has now. Still sounds good too.

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I deleted my muffler with a straight pipe on it, i have a 2004 5.7l. Left the resonator on it, to me it sounds great without the high price..cost me 55 bucks. Has a nice growl to it and not excessively loud!

OP
OP
M

Mopar4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will a muffler delete (everything else stock) be louder than a flowmaster 40?

Mark Wood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
****** Max Flow..single 3 inch in and out

No resonator ...custom y pipe made ..sounds great. . Not too loud at wide open..no drone ..exit out the side ..
Muffler was 80 bucks on amazon..y pipe was 100..install muffler was 40..

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running an exhaust with no muffler and just the cats sounds terrible. Kind of reminds me of those old 67-72 F100's running around back in the day. Bwaaap bwaaap waaap waap. A lot of raspy popping and a little back firing. It might sound cool at first but that drone will get to be annoying as hell at a constant 55 MPH or higher speeds for any length of time. You can buy a complete exhaust on eBay for as little as $200 and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to install it yourself. Here's a link to some that are available:https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=ram+exhaust

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956