Exhaust recommends (No drone)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Exhaust cut out.

Go from civilized to full hill billy in seconds.

My setup cost maybe $70.

Spare midpipe, to reverse if i need to $45 on craigslist. That included two muffler back tubes..
THAT is the way to go!!

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Borla or Corsa, but you can fix the drone with the J pipe which they sell as an add on before the muffler. So technically you can have just about any catback with no drone if you get the Jpipe.

Jeff Spiker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take a look at Carven. I installed their Competition Series bolt on system along with their 5” stainless tips and I couldn’t be happier. No drone at freeway speeds, but does have a nice aggressive growl when you open it up. Fit and finish were impeccable, it’s held up nicely after two years. I also have a 2014 Ram with the 5.7. Installation was a breeze, did it in my driveway without a jack. Just soak all the bolts and slip joints with PB Blaster or a penetrating oil of your choice the night before, things should come apart easily.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Had Corsa sport and Corsa extreme on two different Mustang GTs, zero drone. Def the way to go for no drone but expensive.

currently have a Flowmaster 40 on my truck which drones moderately, having the 40 swapped for a Super 10 next Tuesday, I’m pretty sure it will have massive drone. That said, there are some Flowmaster mufflers that don’t drone too bad.

The drone sound is caused by the MDS shut off on the HEMI. Yeah I had a 40 series on a 4.7L once. Never a Super 10 though.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Take a look at Carven. I installed their Competition Series bolt on system along with their 5” stainless tips and I couldn’t be happier. No drone at freeway speeds, but does have a nice aggressive growl when you open it up. Fit and finish were impeccable, it’s held up nicely after two years. I also have a 2014 Ram with the 5.7. Installation was a breeze, did it in my driveway without a jack. Just soak all the bolts and slip joints with PB Blaster or a penetrating oil of your choice the night before, things should come apart easily.

Yeah I was definitely looking into that brand, but not the competition series, that is way loud isn't it? I mean, I like a nice tone, but still want to hear my radio, if you know what I mean LOL

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 (2017 1500 KIA OCT 2017)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The drone sound is caused by the MDS shut off on the HEMI. Yeah I had a 40 series on a 4.7L once. Never a Super 10 though.

I had drone with Carven Progressive muffler in my 2018 CC and I always turn MDS off. Strange thing was I did not have any drone in my 2017 CC with the same muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milspec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep!! Absolutely the MDS. Just had the super 10 put on and stock resonators cut off. Oh boy, so first it appeals what I’m after, loud.

So at 70mph, just fine, 75 - drone, 75-80 = super duper drone.

Anyway, I won’t derail this thread anymore.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had drone with Carven Progressive muffler in my 2018 CC and I always turn MDS off. Strange thing was I did not have any drone in my 2017 CC with the same muffler.

Wow... that is strange

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yep!! Absolutely the MDS. Just had the super 10 put on and stock resonators cut off. Oh boy, so first it appeals what I’m after, loud.

So at 70mph, just fine, 75 - drone, 75-80 = super duper drone.

Anyway, I won’t derail this thread anymore.

LOL... Your fine! I'm taking in all the advice and Info I can get. I know the struggle with avoiding that drone. My 07 hemi had it bad, until I custom tuned it with MDS delete, and she was just a mean screaming B**** after that LOL

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Corsa or Borla catback. No drone. Any regular muffler swap will have drone. I think corsa made the sports exhaust for the rams. I have the Borla stinger catback on my truck now. It sounds good. Nice aggressive and Deeper. No drone. Had carven progressive. Had drone. Was louder and deeper.

See and that's strange, on American trucks, the description for the progressive style one states no drone. Which was the main reason that sparked my interest!

So, where is a good place to fine the Corsa exhaust and do they have multiple types? Is there a particular one that doesn't create drone?

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I am running the new flow master Flow FX stock from front of muffler cat's and all. 3 inch inlet 2-2 1/2 outlets no drone and in 6th running highway you just here it enough to know its got a system on it. I really like it if I want to here it more I just put it in 5th for a bit
View attachment 245822

That's awesome! I see that your a 2500, would that matter with some of us 1500 guys? LOL I've always been a fan of flow master! Until I experienced the drone LOL. So you don't have a drone with the flow master FX in the 2500 ?

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I love my Carven but I "DO" have the competitor series which is pretty damn loud but I love it ... the drone I don't even notice it if and when it kicks in ....

I would go with the Carven Progressive if you don't want it too loud but some say it does get louder with time ...

Do you have a tune or MDS delete? Some are saying there is drone with both of those exhausts.

Also, can you compare the competitor series to like flow master 10, 40 or even 50 when it comes to sound.

Flow master actually recommends the 50 series for our Hemi.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Thanks man! Yeah thats the brand I'm looking at. But the progressive series. I don't want loud to the point I cant hear the radio LOL. How loud is that competition series comparing it to like a flow master 10, 40 or 50 series?

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

How do you turn the MDS off in a 2014 ram? I don't have a OD on/off