Exhaust recommends (No drone)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See and that's strange, on American trucks, the description for the progressive style one states no drone. Which was the main reason that sparked my interest!

So, where is a good place to fine the Corsa exhaust and do they have multiple types? Is there a particular one that doesn't create drone?
Look at moes performance or talk to @Nick@GotExhaust. Nick has some great deals. Everyone hears drone differently. The progressive wasn’t bad drone. Just noticed it around 1800 rpm cruising on the highway. No other time.

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 (2017 1500 KIA OCT 2017)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that a factory exhaust?
No it's the muffler made by these guys https://floproperformance.com/. That was a cold start up to idle leaving work the other day. It's easier to find the Hemi muffler they make on eBay (link already posted earlier). It's not crazy loud, but has less restriction than stock with a great muscle car growl IMO. I also have the larger Carven tips on there. I have experience with some of the diesel products they make, so I tried this muffler.

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you turn the MDS off in a 2014 ram? I don't have a OD on/off
Hit the gear selector down (-) then up (+) on your steering wheel to your highest gear. Mine is 8, not sure what it is on the 2014. I do this every time i put it in drive, the woman looks at me like I'm nuts lol

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also there is a big difference with the drone reported with the same muffler on single exit or dual exit exhausts
My Progressive had zero drone at any rpm with the factory single exit exhaust/tip
Obviously with MDS on it was awful.
I think a lot of the comments on the drone from Progressive are from guys with the factory dual exit exhausts
In my case, with the addition of LT headers still no drone, but changed the exhaust note to a awful sounding rasp at certain rpms- enough to consider swapping it out
All subjective though....

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 Ram 2500 6.4. Tried the Flowmaster 817709 system that uses a series 50HD muffler and dual 3" tailpipes. It had pretty bad drone in the 1,500-1,600 rpm range, which actually occurred both cruising through town and around 50-55 mph. On freeway above 65 mph is wasn't bad at all. And no, it was not the MDS causing it. Finally put the stock exhaust back on.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Carven Progressive with 5” tips on my 2018 QC 5.7 Big Horn. Love the sound. A lot of compliments. I drive with the MDS off most of the time, drone is only bad when MDS is on and it engages. Cold start up she roars, then settles in to a nice low rumble at idle. She sounds AWESOME with the windows open when you get on it. And the quality of the stainless is excellent. I had a Mufflex DOD-18 on my last Ram. Sounded good too, a little quieter actually, but it rusted pretty bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's awesome! I see that your a 2500, would that matter with some of us 1500 guys? LOL I've always been a fan of flow master! Until I experienced the drone LOL. So you don't have a drone with the flow master FX in the 2500 ?
the flow FX for 1500's they have a cat back bolt on but did not have it for 2500's plus having it welded on only cost 287 bucks total. and yes I have no drone at all

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
I had the Flowmaster Super 44 installed on my 2021 1500 Classic 5.7L w/ 3.92 gears, super drone at highway cruising speed where I’m at about 1800-1900 rpm in 8th gear.

I put in the Flowmaster 50 HD and much less drone, I turn off the MdS at city/street speeds, and keep it on at highway speed (100-115km/hr here) and it’s not terrible but still some drone can be heard. But SO much better than the Super 44. Everything else is stock exhaust wise.

sounds great when heavy on the accelerator, fast take off etc. Nice growl, deeper, meaner sounding.

if you want to keep it cheaper and not a cat/back system I like the FM 50 HD. If I had unlimited funds though I might have gone for the Carven or Corsa systems, maybe Magnaflow cat back.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
No it's the muffler made by these guys https://floproperformance.com/. That was a cold start up to idle leaving work the other day. It's easier to find the Hemi muffler they make on eBay (link already posted earlier). It's not crazy loud, but has less restriction than stock with a great muscle car growl IMO. I also have the larger Carven tips on there. I have experience with some of the diesel products they make, so I tried this muffler.

Dude thats awesome! I'll have to check it out. So at idle after warmed up and or cruising speed it isn't loud until you step on it?

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hit the gear selector down (-) then up (+) on your steering wheel to your highest gear. Mine is 8, not sure what it is on the 2014. I do this every time i put it in drive, the woman looks at me like I'm nuts lol
:laughing1:That's hilarious. Yeah mine is an 8 too. So hypothetically speaking, I'm cruising down the freeway listening the drone, I drop down a gear - and back up + and that turns MDS off?

Last edited:

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dude thats awesome! I'll have to check it out. So at idle after warmed up and or cruising speed it isn't loud until you step on it?

Yes and it sounds good going down the road to. Just not obnoxious. If I want loud, I have two Harleys that can give me that.

Obnoxious is also an individuals own personal take on it. We’re all different.

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:laughing1:That's hilarious. Yeah mine is an 8 too. So hypothetically speaking, I'm cruising down the freeway listening the drone, I drop down a gear - and back up + and that turns MDS off?

Yes that will keep the MDS from kicking in while cruising. I hate the feature, so I do the -/+ steps as soon as it goes into drive.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If already in 8th press - and it will still be in 8th as it goes to the gear you are in first

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes that will keep the MDS from kicking in while cruising. I hate the feature, so I do the -/+ steps as soon as it goes into drive.

Oh wow, so you do that before you even start rollin.. Cool..

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So do any of you with the Carven progressive exhaust or the competition have any videos of the sound? I seen the couple that are on here.

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the progressive - I listened to a lot of video and thought it was what I wanted. It sounds great, and the cold starts are awesome. However, they are not awesome if you live in a subdivision and leave your house early. My wife was not happy about being woke up when I tried to sneak out at 5:30 for the gym. Just an FYI in case that matters to you in your situation or not. My neighbors never really complained, but they aren't the type to ***** much anyway.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
X2 on the Carven Progressive start up. Especially on cold quiet winter mornings. That damn thing roars to life like you wouldn’t believe. But after she comes down off high idle and settles in you barely hear it. And I leave for work between 2-3am.

I love my neighbors, but when they start paying my mortgage, I’ll let them choose what kind of muffler I run.

Reactions: pld