Extended warranty. Worth it?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by crawdad62, Mar 26, 2018.

Sponsored By: All Mopar Parts
  1. crawdad62

crawdad62 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I have a 2015 1500 Sport. It's on a 3 year lease that's about ready to be up in July. It's got low miles (due in part to the lease) and my buy out is low so I'm going to keep it. For the last few months I've been getting emails from Chrysler about purchasing extended warranties. It was nice having a vehicle the last few years that was covered so I was thinking about getting the extended through Chrysler. Only thing I'm not sure it's worth it. A lot of the time most of these warranties are nothing but a big hassle or they don't even cover it at all. Just wondered if anyone here has one of these warranties and is it worth it? Thanks.

2. khsderek

khsderek Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I purchased the lifetime rust proof and when I went to use it I found out that it only covers up to 3000 so when they replaced my rockers that’s when they told me that the 3000 was used up and I no longer have the lifetime rust proof. What a waste of money
    I could have had them replaced cheaper somewhere else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. unxpctd

unxpctd Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Ram Rebel
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I think it depends on if you do any serious modifications (or want to). One of my thoughts is all of the electronics...if anything in the radio or dash electronics goes its going to be spendy.

I personally like having an extended warranty - I have a 6 year, 100,000 miles - on my 2017 Rebel. I'll trade it off by then I'm sure...but for now I know I'm covered. I only did a CAI and Carven Muffler and thats it so those shouldn't have any impact.

Its personal preference. I went with one due to the multitude of electronics in vehicles nowadays.

Good luck with your choice...I'm sure you'd be ok without one but then again...just in case.

4. zogg

zogg Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    There are several dealers that sell Chrysler warranties on-line, much cheaper than the local dealers. You'll see several hundred $$$$ in differences.

I usually never buy an extended warranty because I usually don't keep vehicles long enough to get any benefit from them, or I have an extra vehicle that is too old for any warranty.

I did buy an aftermarket warranty (my wife insisted for her Mustang) from company that denied a claim for a tie rod end due to a pre-existing condition.....

My son's ex-wife worked for a company that sold aftermarket warranties, and she said that you are just throwing money away because they find all sorts of reasons to deny claims.

I would only go with a true Chrysler warranty. Good Luck.

These are real money makers for the dealers....there are very few large claims, plus you have to pay a deductible. Unless you buy the super expensive life time warranty (which eventually expires due to age of the vehicle), it seems unreasonable to me to buy a warranty up to 100,000 miles. Most (not all) vehicles today will go to 100,000 miles with no or few major issues. My 2013 Ram went 144,000 miles...only cost was for brakes, tires, spark plugs and oil changes....oh yea, I did dent a fender. The guy at work that bought it is still driving it and says it is trouble free.

5. Jarhead57

Jarhead57 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    As unxpctd said, its personal preference. I have the lifetime on mine due to the multitude of electronics in vehicles nowadays and I have no plans on getting rid of this truck. I can remember one tiny, tiny piece caused my cruise control to fail back in '95 on a toyota i had with no warranty, that little piece costs $600.00 installed. I can only imagine what some of these parts would costs today. I may never have to use it....but I feel better knowing I have it.

6. MADDOG

MADDOG Cummins Driver Staff Member Super Moderator Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    It really does depend on the terms of the warranty and who is offering it. MOPAR offers the MaxCare warranty that covers everything less wear parts (belts, hoses, brake pads, etc...) up to the mileage limit for a deductible of $100.

A lot of firms try to appear as if they are affiliated with Chrysler/FCA/MOPAR/RAM but they aren't and their warranties are crap.

I've had several MOPAR direct warranties and they paid off. Funny thing was in two cases it was for the same head unit in a 2007 Ram and my 2006 SRT. My 2014 Ram was totaled with less than 2 years of ownership and they sent me a pro-rated refund. I applied that towards the MOPAR MaxCare warranty on my CTD. We'll see how that goes.

But as far as my experience goes, in two out of 3 cases the MOPAR warranty was definitely worth it.

jasger83 likes this.
  7. 808ram1500

808ram1500 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    4.7L
    I recently had a battle with my alternator spiking voltage and frying both my PCM and TCM. Replaced the 3 and also my battery for $3000. Also replaced my shift solenoid before all this due to the truck throwing a code for it. $1000 part and labor. After replacing it, some other codes came up and truck started acting weird so that's why I replaced the electronics. Been fine ever since. Bought the truck used, no warranty. So $4000 came out of pocket.

bluezmann55 likes this.
  8. JPT

JPT Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 Big Horn
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I thought these MaxCare warranties excluded diesels...

9. MADDOG

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hmmm...I better go check my paperwork. I coulda swore that's the warranty they sold me.

10. MADDOG

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Well, what do ya know. The business manager got me. It's CarChex, not Chrysler Warranty Direct.

You're right. I called them and they specifically exclude SRT, Demons, Hellcats and diesel powered trucks.

I'm probably not getting the coverage I thought I was. I better go check that too!