Extended warranty. Worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As member zogg posted..."lifetime usually runs out due to vehicle age".....
Is this true?
How old does the vehicle have to be for it to run out?
Does it lose certain coverage after a certain amount t of time?

When the repair costs more than the vehicle's value they pay you the lesser number.. Then your finished..

roscoe999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Your sunroof glass is not covered even if you get the RAM MVP Plan "NEW MAXIMUM CARE" as it's called. My sunroof glass has warped and I was told by the dealer and the MVP rep that the sunroof glass is considered "trim" and RAM does not cover trim. The sunroof motor and transport are covered but not the glass. I plan to screw a plate on mine when it starts to leak and advertise it on Ford and Chevy forums them maybe someone will take notice. This is my second 2500 4x4 Mega cab and I really like the 6.4 but the service leaves more than a little to be desired. I thought the "special factory extended warranty" would be nice but the first thing that goes wrong is not covered just my luck. Unlike most folks writing here mine is a 2014 with 73K but in Texas some things are far away and if you go often the miles click up. This is my second vehicle in over 40 years that was not a GM truck to give you an idea how I like my mega cab.

Last edited:

SuthrnRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I thought about getting the extended warranty as my truck just went out of warranty, but man the service at the Ram dealers is terrible! I love my truck but actually kinda relieved I can take it to my local mechanic who I've used for years and is always straight forward and gets things done right.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At least you hemi guys can get lifetime. Us diesel owners are shamed into 125K.

I drive around 30K a year, so 125K is nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have owned my well equipped 2015 Ram 1500 4X4 Crew Cab Outdoorsman (heated steering wheel, larger UI, no sunroof, no air ride suspension) since May 2016. I bought it under warranty with 7,000 miles on it. Since taking ownership, I have not abused the truck, changed the engine oil every 5,000 miles (with Mobil1 full synthetic), and never towed over 2,500 lbs. I also get the Krown rust proofing applied every Fall.

I am now just over 45,000 miles and just I spoke to a representative at FCA; they want to sell me a Mopar Bumper-to-Bumper Vehicle Protection Plan to cover me for another 39,000 miles at a cost if $2,700 USD.

What are the odds that I will have repair bills (not maintenance bills) before I hit 84,000 miles that will exceed $2,700???

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can probably get the lifetime Maxcare warranty for that kind of money from Ziegler or Chryslerwarrantydirect.com. That’s Unlimited month and unlimited miles until the value of the repair exceeds the value of the truck which will take a long time.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you don't use the warranty, at the end of it, do you get your money back?

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I bought the Maxcare on my 2 month old truck, it would basically replace the factory warranty or how does that work if they're both active?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Looking at trading my truck in. I bought a 5yr 160,000 extended bumper to number FCA extended warranty on the truck I'm trading in. Should that factor in on trade in or does it go away once the dealer takes the truck to resell it.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
If you don't use the warranty, at the end of it, do you get your money back?

No, it does not work that way. It's like buying insurance, you are pooled with everybody else and the way they make money is to have fewer claims going out than paid money coming. Some will get way more back in warranty work than premium paid and others will have not.

Only way to get anything back is if you sell the vehicle early before the end date/mileage and you can get a prorated unused portion of the premium paid back if you file a cancellation claim.

flyinghigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
So I am buying a 2016 Laramie with 15,000 miles on it. What is the best warranty I can buy and from whom? Am I better of to buy it now or when the factory warranty expires in a year?

So many electronics on this machine I don't want to be without one.

Thanks!

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I am buying a 2016 Laramie with 15,000 miles on it. What is the best warranty I can buy and from whom? Am I better of to buy it now or when the factory warranty expires in a year?

So many electronics on this machine I don't want to be without one.

Thanks!

I just purchased the MOPAR Lifetime Maxcare Plan for my '18 1500 Big Horn. Clay Robbins' contact info was mentioned in one of the other threads - so I looked him up. I shopped around a lot and ended up buying from Clay. There were 2 or 3 places that had the best price, Clay was one of them. I went with Clay because he was helpful and responded quickly to email. You can reach him at [email protected].

SteveRG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm cancelling my Allstate 7yr 125k warranty and going with the Max Care Lifetime. I'm keeping this truck and don't want any headaches.

SteveRG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
‘17 Ram Bighorn 5.7 CC
Got my Max Care Lifetime today. With $200 deductible $2560 with the promo code. [emoji41]
BTW - got this at my local Ram dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Don Shilling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 345 ci
I have the 2009 Ram Hemi with the lifetime warranty and the extended lifetime bumper to bumper warranty ($100 deductible). I've already had a front wheel bearing and hub replaced and today the truck is in the shop for a cabin heater core replacement. I figure the extended warranty has already paid for itself!

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just bought a ‘14 Express with 60k miles 2 mos ago. I wound up buying a 7 year/100k mile extended warranty (so 160k miles), zero deductible for $2100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently purchased a 7/85 FCA Maxcare warranty for around $1,385. Considering the complexity of these vehicles, one computer repair can make the warranty worthwhile. Whatever I don't use in time/mileage I'll have refunded and put towards my next purchase. Too bad the lifetime warranty is no longer available.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just bought a ‘14 Express with 60k miles 2 mos ago. I wound up buying a 7 year/100k mile extended warranty (so 160k miles), zero deductible for $2100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Is that a genuine factory warranty (like maxcare)? If so, you might wanna double check that 160k miles. If it’s 7yr/100,000mi, that means 7 years from the date the car was originally purchased and put into service, and 100,000 total miles (no matter what miles is on it when purchased).

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at trading my truck in. I bought a 5yr 160,000 extended bumper to number FCA extended warranty on the truck I'm trading in. Should that factor in on trade in or does it go away once the dealer takes the truck to resell it.

I would factor it IF you are transferring the warranty. You might be able to get a prorated amount back on the warranty if not.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I recently purchased a 7/85 FCA Maxcare warranty for around $1,385. Considering the complexity of these vehicles, one computer repair can make the warranty worthwhile. Whatever I don't use in time/mileage I'll have refunded and put towards my next purchase. Too bad the lifetime warranty is no longer available.
Lifetime IS still available thru the end of november. You might want to contact Zeigler to see how much to covert yours to lifetime.