Extended Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram Prasad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi MDS VVT eTorque
I am new to trucks, and I just recently bought a RAM 1500 limited. I have been reading about RAMs, and many seem to have reliability issues (not sure if I did my homework right .. or this is how generally trucks are). 1. Is it worth getting the extended warranty? 2. What does it generally cost? I have been quoted $4100 for the 7 year 100K miles (bumper-to-bumper warranty). 3. When can I get it? Do I have 3 years from the date of purchase or 1 year?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
search online warranty companies ,much much cheaper.
I never bought one for e turck until this turck and when my cam and lifters got replaced, it was under 100k drivetrain, not my warranty so, i lost money
I did not care though,. LIke LIfe Insurance, I really hope not to use it.
buyt like the idea of having it, should the need arise.

fdo you want to face a $6K bill or higher or do you want to gamble $2K or so and not worry about jack ***** for 6 or 7 years?
really is that simply

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
search online warranty companies ,much much cheaper.
I never bought one for e turck until this turck and when my cam and lifters got replaced, it was under 100k drivetrain, not my warranty so, i lost money
I did not care though,. LIke LIfe Insurance, I really hope not to use it.
buyt like the idea of having it, should the need arise.

fdo you want to face a $6K bill or higher or do you want to gamble $2K or so and not worry about jack ***** for 6 or 7 years?
really is that simply

Who did you go through ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Always go through the Factory. Get a FCA Extended Service Contract.
I bought from my Dealer because I coudl not beat the price.many gusy have gone the onlien route. Huge east west coast dealers advertise a $100 pricing to get penetration for teh F&I man. Old School F&I contracts are pay based upon percentage of pentration.

selling anything,m warranty credit life accident health whatever, increases his pay percentage.

plus, it ain;t much work for a $100.
oh, looie there, sold one to this guy.
print it out, slap it in an envelope and drop it off with the office to be mailed.
quickie Franklin

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Any new truck can have big expensive problems. Ram is no different than any others. Of course, they sell warranties to make money so, as a whole, we lose and they win. However, a big part of their profit comes from people who sell (or crash) the vehicle prior to the end of the warranty. If you buy it at a good price and actually keep the truck for the warranty term, I believe it's a smart financial move to protect yourself against a big loss.

I have a Lifetime Maxcare (they don't offer the lifetime any longer) and I paid $2300 for it back in 2014. I've so far gotten about 6K out of it and I'm at 100K miles (exhaust manifold bolts and tranny rebuild). So, I'm ahead 4K.

Also, be sure you're not planning to do a bunch of mods that could void coverage. I believe extended warranties (technically called "service contracts") don't fall under the same Moss/Magneson act umbrella so it's even easier for them to deny a claim. I'm not totally sure since my truck is 100% stock but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I declined the extended warranty from Chrysler, and opted for the Mechanical breakdown insurance from my insurance company (Geico). It's for up to 100k, a $250 deductible and only costs $50 for Windshield replacement. All for $17/mo.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I declined the extended warranty from Chrysler, and opted for the Mechanical breakdown insurance from my insurance company (Geico). It's for up to 100k, a $250 deductible and only costs $50 for Windshield replacement. All for $17/mo.

That's an interesting option......never heard of such a thing

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am new to trucks, and I just recently bought a RAM 1500 limited. I have been reading about RAMs, and many seem to have reliability issues (not sure if I did my homework right .. or this is how generally trucks are). 1. Is it worth getting the extended warranty? 2. What does it generally cost? I have been quoted $4100 for the 7 year 100K miles (bumper-to-bumper warranty). 3. When can I get it? Do I have 3 years from the date of purchase or 1 year?

1. It might be worth it if you are going to keep it, might be anyways as it is transferable to the next owner and could increase the value - may also be prorated if you sell the truck and cash out.
2. as stated online - I used Tom Winkels he is in Michigan at a jeep dealer (google the name), easy to do and great price.
3. You generally have I think 4 yrs/48000 miles to get it, HOWEVER the price goes up if you go past the 12 month/12000 mile mark.

Tom Winkels
Hayes Jeep
Kalamazoo, Mi 49001
269-488-2080
[email protected]

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
That's $1632 for 8 years and needs to start within 15 mon/15000 miles of new car purchase. That means the BTB warranty covers the truck for the first 36/36 while you are paying Geico. A Moper 8/125,000 $200 deductible is about $21-2300 and covers electronics, et at, like their 36/36 BTB on new trucks. If Geico covers all electronics like new BTB warranty it's a good deal as you can just quit paying $17/mo anytime.

The Mopar is prorated so you can also recover a portion of the cost if you sell early and you can stretch the payment out for a while. Mopar also covers rental car and key replacement from day one of the extended warranty.

I'd be very sure to have the Geico plan documentation in hand before I'd chose it over the Mopar.

Not saying it's a bad deal just Check and Verify that the plans are compared apples to apples as the cost difference is not staggering.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’m still debating getting a Mopar factory extended warranty. I go back and forth. Just about to break 10,000 miles on my 2019 Bighorn. I plan on keeping this rig until it falls apart so it would probably make some sense to me. But I think the longest one available is 8yrs/125k miles. So I’m not 100% sold just yet but certainly leaning in that direction. I’ll be following this thread.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I bought the Ram, I opted for the lifetime, bumper to bumper, warranty. The dealer already had the lifetime powertrain but with the cost of high end electronics, it was a no brainer. Pricy, yes, piece of mind, you know it.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's $1632 for 8 years and needs to start within 15 mon/15000 miles of new car purchase. That means the BTB warranty covers the truck for the first 36/36 while you are paying Geico. A Moper 8/125,000 $200 deductible is about $21-2300 and covers electronics, et at, like their 36/36 BTB on new trucks. If Geico covers all electronics like new BTB warranty it's a good deal as you can just quit paying $17/mo anytime.

The Mopar is prorated so you can also recover a portion of the cost if you sell early and you can stretch the payment out for a while. Mopar also covers rental car and key replacement from day one of the extended warranty.

I'd be very sure to have the Geico plan documentation in hand before I'd chose it over the Mopar.

Not saying it's a bad deal just Check and Verify that the plans are compared apples to apples as the cost difference is not staggering.

Exclusions to this policy include regular maintenance services such as tune-ups, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and linings, brake shoes, and tires.

It does include all things electrical. Not sure where you got that $21/mo quote from. The finance department started with $29/mo and 'dropped' it down to $27/mo for that extended warranty. But, that's how finance guys lose my business quick. If they can't be honest up front, they aren't getting one red cent from me with their 'extras'.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Who did you go through ?

bought mine from my dealer, he met onlien pricing.

chrylserwaranty.com is one most use.

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/

Use DAMON or DAMON2 or PAYINFULL for the discount code. They sell the genuine FCA extended warranty backed by the manufacturer. You can do it all on line and save a ton over what the dealers charge.

Thank you for sharing this. Am also new to the ram world and looking for this for when the original warranty runs out

Daniel Leih

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Welcome to the world of trucks! Pretty sure i will own a truck for the rest of my life! :) The Limited is a nice ride. Mine is pretty close; I just bought a 2019 Longhorn hemi with 7000 miles. This is my second Ram and honestly the first one was a complete disaster, a 2015 Laramie Ecodiesel. Of the 18 months i owned that truck it was in the shop 10 months with engine problems. Why would i buy another Ram, you might ask?
1. Because as a whole the Ram has developed a strong reputation and the reliability seems to be on par with other vendors. GM has their trans problems, Ford had a couple of engine problems, etc. The Hemi has a couple of known issues but owners seem very happy with them and overall reliability is pretty good i think.
2. 95% of my problems were Ecodiesel related. The ED was a disaster which i can detail if anyone is interested but i loved the rest of the truck and i think the interior is best in class. Since i spend a lot of time on the freeway the interior was a care-about for me.

Which brings me to warranty. My truck is a CPO so has 7yr / 100K powertrain warranty already, plus a 39month / 39K bumper to bumper. The problem is that the powertrain warranty is largely mechanical and new trucks have a huge amount of electronics in them. I need to keep this truck forever and i have a pretty big payment so no room for repairs in the budget. So i ended up buying the 7yr/100K bumper-to-bumper. from the dealer. I paid ~$2900 for the Platinum plan, a bit more since i rolled it into my loan. Which means i can pay monthly and not pay after it is totaled or if i sell it. I had a similar quote from a second dealer and a quote for $3700 from a 3rd party. The dealer from whom i bought the truck did quote something like $4500 to start with, which would have been a non-starter for me.

I probably left a little money on the table. Mostly i bought piece of mind at the cost of ~$37/mon or something like that. For a cheaper or older truck or one that i would use a couple of years and sell i would not have bothered. But since my wife says this is the last truck until the boat pulls up to the beach house i got something i loved and protected it.

Good luck and enjoy your truck!

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put this in another warranty thread but this guy took good care of me and will beat anyone's price:

Jason Edmonson
Mopar Service Contracts
CR Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram - Official Dealer
Warranty Office
2000 Curtis Road
Adrian, MI 49221
(517)662-0400 - Direct Line
[email protected]

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
One thing I did learn today - and may help those purchasing an extended warranty for their Ram with eTorque.

The Mopar Extended Warranty does not cover the 48V battery pack behind the rear seat which runs the eTorque system. It is covered by the 8 year/80,000 mile warranty from the factory thus it makes no sense to purchase an extended warranty with a term longer than the 8/85 as the battery won't be covered (if that is one of the reasons you would purchase the extended warranty). I purchased the 8/85 extended warranty with a $200 deductible from https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/ using PAYINFULL discount code which cost me $1175 that will work fine for my needs. Why $200 deductible? The idea is to minimize the amount I pay now and bank on the truck never needing anything except a major failure replacement (engine, transmission, electrical, etc.) which can make a $200 deductible payment miniscule in the big picture.

Last edited:

2019_RPX_LTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
I purchased the EasyCare TotalCare coverage from my dealer when I bought the truck (2019 Limited, loaded). I probably didn't get the best deal, but I was able to roll it into the $0 down, 0% interest, 84-month financing deal.

I paid $3400 for the 7y/150,000 mile coverage ($250 deductible).

https://easycare.com/vehicle-service-contracts/#info-bar