factory brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramtaz64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 1500 express and was wondering if anyone has installed the factory brake controller in a truck that did not have one?

I already have the tecumsa P3 for it but was wondering about putting the factory one in for a cleaner look.

thoughts?????????

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 1500 express and was wondering if anyone has installed the factory brake controller in a truck that did not have one?

I already have the tecumsa P3 for it but was wondering about putting the factory one in for a cleaner look.

thoughts?????????
Yes you can install the factory controller. You can find them on eBay or other places. It's a plug-and-play install but after you get it installed you'll need to take the truck to the dealer and have the correct sales code activated in your BCM in order for it to function. The factory brake controller is very nice. I have one in my truck and it works flawlessly I can save several different trailer settings plus all of the information shows up in my evic if I choose it to while I'm using the trailer brake. I prefer it over aftermarket because it's completely integrated with the truck and it's a very clean look.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
It requires 2 connectors, they are taped or zip tied under the dash. Not all trucks have both connectors, but there is a kit you can buy off eBay to get the other installed. That is what I had to do.

OP
OP
R

ramtaz64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for the info guys?? does any one have the parts number for what I would need?

mpack79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2012 RAM express. I went to have the brake controller installed at my dealer. They said it could not be installed due to it not having the Can-bus wiring. I looked under the dash and only have the one plug. So do can I get the other plug off ebay and it work? Will I still need to have it coded?

OP
OP
R

ramtaz64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
interesting.. I may have to hit the dealer first and let them tell me what I have for sure..

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
interesting.. I may have to hit the dealer first and let them tell me what I have for sure..
Let us know what they are going to charge you to program the BCM...

OP
OP
R

ramtaz64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah that was another question I was gonna ask. Will do...

so pretty much I am asking what they will charge to program the factory controller into my truck?

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I have a 2012 RAM express. I went to have the brake controller installed at my dealer. They said it could not be installed due to it not having the Can-bus wiring. I looked under the dash and only have the one plug. So do can I get the other plug off ebay and it work? Will I still need to have it coded?

Yessir!

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO

You will still need the sales code added. If you have ANY other codes you want added (looking into your future mods) get the dealer to add them all at once. You may get a price break.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Called one dealer this morning and they want $135 to program it.
It is so crazy that they charge that much to program the brake controller. I would try to get them to charge you for a half hour labor sounds like they're charging you for a full hour. I have a friend who's a Dodge mechanic. My truck came with a factory brake controller but I took my truck in and he added some other codes for me. He actually had me just sit in the truck and he got in the driver side and we drove it into the shop. It literally took him 10 minutes to do it. He plugged in the Witech tool brought it up on the screen activated the codes I wanted click that was it. Nobody really even noticed we were there. As mentioned if there are any other codes you want activated have them do it all at the same time. Not sure if you already have the blinker puddle light mirrors but if you don't the sales codes for that are LEB and LEC. You can have them activate them at the same time and if you ever install the mirrors in the future both the blinker and puddle lights will function.

OP
OP
R

ramtaz64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah that was gonna be one of my next questions. A few people told me about looking to add other codes while I was there. I guess that brings up another question as to what codes are there. I was def thinking about doing the mirrors at some point.. Any idea what the code is for the brake controller?

OP
OP
R

ramtaz64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
awesome and thanks.. looks like I need 3 of them.. AHE for the controller and 2 for the mirrors LEB and LEC

OP
OP
R

ramtaz64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is so crazy that they charge that much to program the brake controller. I would try to get them to charge you for a half hour labor sounds like they're charging you for a full hour. I have a friend who's a Dodge mechanic. My truck came with a factory brake controller but I took my truck in and he added some other codes for me. He actually had me just sit in the truck and he got in the driver side and we drove it into the shop. It literally took him 10 minutes to do it. He plugged in the Witech tool brought it up on the screen activated the codes I wanted click that was it. Nobody really even noticed we were there. As mentioned if there are any other codes you want activated have them do it all at the same time. Not sure if you already have the blinker puddle light mirrors but if you don't the sales codes for that are LEB and LEC. You can have them activate them at the same time and if you ever install the mirrors in the future both the blinker and puddle lights will function.

I have contacted 2 different dealers and so far have 2 different prices... LOL one dealer is $135, the second is $121 per hour and the service manager said the accessories have to be installed to do the sales codes and that it could take a couple of hours... WOW.. waiting on the 3rd right now to see what they come back with..

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
That brake controller takes less than 10 minutes to install, provided you have both wiring connectors. A few Youtube vids walk you through it. All you need is a phillips screwdriver and a panel popper. EZ-PZ.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I want to get an aftermarket Reese controller, i was looking at harnesses and the ones that claim to fit my 2017 1500 have 4 pins but the only connector I see under my dash is a 10 pin rectangular one that was wrapped in foam above the gas pedal against the lower dash panel. Is that the right connector, if so there's no way that square 4 pin one fits. the cable is a Tekonsha 3024-P
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekonsha-3...ash=item4b152cef06:g:z4wAAOSw1QpaKyiB&vxp=mtr
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekonsha-3...ash=item4b152cef06:g:z4wAAOSw1QpaKyiB&vxp=mtr

I just found that the 4 pin connector is wrapped with the 10 pin so the above is correct.

Last edited:

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Called one dealer this morning and they want $135 to program it.
You might check to see if they will install it for you as well if you supply the factory parts. That sounds about right though. That's about the going hourly rate for dealer labor these days proably takes them 5 min but they are going to charge you one hour anyway. If they install the unit maybe they will throw in the programming.