Factory Coil Springs Versus After Market

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Newtododge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
I purchased a 2020 Ram 2500 Diesel a month ago. Shame on me, but I didn't pay attention to payload thinking I should only be worried about towing capacity numbers. Fast forward a month and I've learned my vehicle has 2155 lbs of payload, which really sucks since I bought it to haul a 5th wheel.

I've found two different models of 5th wheel I'm interested in. One puts me within my payload and the other does not.
#1: 185lbs left within payload after adding up all the fluids, max trailer weight, passengers, etc.
#2: 568 lbs over max payload after the same items above.

Question:
I've been researching ways to increase payload and found a million sites for this topic. Some say you can't, some say you can, and some in between. My 2500 came with Heavy Duty Coil Springs (part # 68349171AA). I have found an aftermarket product saying it adds 500 lbs of payload (TTC-1225).

Are these springs the same? Can the aftermarket product truly increase payload by 500lbs?

I do plan to add Air Lift bags rated at 5k lbs, but these springs aren't super expensive, so I'm tossing around all ideas.

https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/ttc-1225.htm

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
When you go to court, the factory payload number stamped on the truck is the legal limit, even if you "improved/increased" the trucks ability. You're playing with fire but only if they catch you.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
As stated there is no way to legally increase your payload. But your truck is built the same as a 3500 minus the rear suspension. The axle ratings should be 5500 front and either 6000 or 6390 on the rear. If nothing else stay with in that rating for sure.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Recreational use is exempt from Federal motor carrier laws. I don’t know of any state that applies those regulations to recreational vehicles but I suppose it’s possible.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You'll be fine with just the airbags for hauling the fiver, no need to have excessive springs when your not hauling.
Contrary to what gets posted, the payload number printed in the door jamb is not "set in stone". The main numbers to watch are the GAWR(s) and the GVWR. Some states allow/require you to plate your vehicle for a specific GVWR, that's not limited to what is printed on the door tag(this is not exclusive to commercial vehicles).

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I just ordered the Airlift 5000# Ultimate airbags last night to keep the truck level with our new 5W. The squat is exxagerated by the fact that I have a 2" front spacer to help with the v-plow not catching when transporting in v mode. The truck already has variable rear springs, I thought for the times I'm towing I'd rather have the adjustability of the airbags. The Ultimates have an internal "jounce bumper" so you still have a bump-stop in the event that you blow an air line or a bag.
You certainly wouldn't be the only Cummins/2500 running over the stated payload, but as has been mentioned on other threads, the payload in this case is likely a numbers game to keep the GVWR at 10,000#.

OP
OP
Newtododge

Newtododge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
I just ordered the Airlift 5000# Ultimate airbags last night to keep the truck level with our new 5W. The squat is exxagerated by the fact that I have a 2" front spacer to help with the v-plow not catching when transporting in v mode. The truck already has variable rear springs, I thought for the times I'm towing I'd rather have the adjustability of the airbags. The Ultimates have an internal "jounce bumper" so you still have a bump-stop in the event that you blow an air line or a bag.
You certainly wouldn't be the only Cummins/2500 running over the stated payload, but as has been mentioned on other threads, the payload in this case is likely a numbers game to keep the GVWR at 10,000#.

Thanks for this- after reading the posts here and continuing to do my own homework, I ordered the exact same setup with the onboard compressor.
Thanks again to all the feedback on this post.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

You nailed it on the 10k gvw. Under 10k is class 2b light truck. 10001-14k is class 3 medium duty truck. It's all about the registration fees.The 2500 is the most underrated truck out there its built just like the 3500s with softer rear suspension. In my eyes it's no differnt than a 3500 if you add air bags other than "legal" stand point always know legal ramifications are possible just like deleting emissions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca