Factory mud flaps wearing through paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I took off my mud flaps and found the are rubbing through the paint a little. When I put them back on, I ran a bead of silicone clear adhesive along the edge to cushion it and keep it from chafing. Is there a better solution, other than removing them?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
3M clear vinyl. you can get it at a auto part store.. A common issue and several thread about it .. Easy to install. Remove flap. Wash area, spray with a soapy miixture.. Not sure about of soap maybe a few drops, allows you to move the vinyl around, Use a old C.C. to flatten and remove bubbles.. You tube has some videos on doing it

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put some thin foam tape behind mine

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Like others have stated, some clear vinyl. The HuskyLiner molded mudflap I bought came with precut clear vinyl paint protectors.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
3M clear vinyl. you can get it at a auto part store.. A common issue and several thread about it .. Easy to install. Remove flap. Wash area, spray with a soapy miixture.. Not sure about of soap maybe a few drops, allows you to move the vinyl around, Use a old C.C. to flatten and remove bubbles.. You tube has some videos on doing it
Baby shampoo. There are quite a few different thicknesses of the 3M product and it comes in various forms. Beware when shopping for it and make sure you get what you want to work with. It's pricey stuff, especially for the heavier product. If you find some that's cheap, you'll discover that it is also very, very thin.

IronCity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took off my mud flaps and found the are rubbing through the paint a little. When I put them back on, I ran a bead of silicone clear adhesive along the edge to cushion it and keep it from chafing. Is there a better solution, other than removing them?

Can you post a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronCity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not take a picture when I had it apart.

I was wonder bc when I bought my truck a noticed a line of paint removed from that area. Originally I thought it was dirt build up arriving the 3m take but after my first wash it clearly wasn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk